FCC Adds Blue Alert to Warn Public of Threats to Law Enforcement Officers

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The FCC recently announced the addition of a new alert program, Blue Alert, to the nation's emergency alerting systems. It allows state and local law enforcement to push immediate warnings out to the public via broadcast, cable, and satellite providers, as well as to consumer smartphones through the Wireless Emergency Alert system.

Much like both the SILVER and AMBER alert programs, and utilizing the same notification system, Blue Alerts aim to warn the general public of threats to public safety and/or imminent danger. However, the police force focused alert system provides timely information to the public when police officers may be in danger.

Much like the annoying alerts that make your phone beep out in alarm when you least expect it to (like in the middle of the night when you're sleeping or in the middle of driving somewhere) that have nothing to do with you at all.

I wonder how many people turn this crap off after the first or second times it happens.

Turned this off years ago when it woke me up in the middle of night because some divorced parent took off with their kid.

Will I get black alerts when a cop kills someone for moving too quickly or having a candybar that kinda looks like a knife eventhough they are standing 30ft away? Will I recieve alerts to shit happening in San Diego when I live 200 miles NORTH of San Francisco?

"Oh no, a police officer is in danger! I guess someone better... call the police?"

Seriously. What the fuck am I supposed to do with this?

I assume its to let us know that our safety is no longer guaranteed and we can either loot and pillage and rape at will because the police are too scared to intervene, or its a warning that the police are particularly trigger happy today and if they kill you, it was in self-defense.

"Oh no, a police officer is in danger! I guess someone better... call the police?"

Seriously. What the fuck am I supposed to do with this?

I came here to post exactly that.

I assume its to let us know that our safety is no longer guaranteed and we can either loot and pillage and rape at will because the police are too scared to intervene, or its a warning that the police are particularly trigger happy today and if they kill you, it was in self-defense.

So the FCC is implementing systems for the inevitable police state?

The future is bright. /S

Yet another reason to drop cable. The weekly test alerts are bad enough. Make the things area sensitive and might be a good idea. Amber alerts for missing kids 100 miles away just annoy.

Would be more useful if it alerted people to the presence of police. That way, when they shoot you in the back you'll at least have had time to text your loved ones goodbye.

They need an orange alert to flag whenever Trump gets another case of twitter verbal diarrhea.

On second though no. Because there would never be a state of orange alert...

silver alert.. hmm had to look that one up. so a missing old person.

and like many here, turned those things off years ago. Its not that deep down i dont care, but really, what am I going to do about it?

and with the current state of the relationship between police and the populace, i am left wondering if blue alerts will not become a "happy" thing for some, and maybe even a "badge of honor" among some who can then brag about causing one, which could cause the number of incidents to actually spike

These blue snowflakes... I swear you would think they worked in a warzone or something. They should live a day in the life of garbage man or plumber, where people randomly flip out and kill them and there is no nation-wide reporting of it, the police don't shut down the city looking for the killer and yet they still go to work every day knowing they are more likely to be killed at their job than a cop.

I thought they had guns to protect themselves (and citizens). Cops have their own internal network to notify themselves of everythng. Stupid idea. Unless you want to join in? J/K Actually, it's probably just another excuse they will have to put a cap in ur AS* for no apparent reason.

Back