FBI to Build Social Network Spy App

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The FBI is looking for someone to design and implement an App to scan all published public material found on Facebook, Twitter and other social networks that will look for patterns and keywords indicating possible criminal behavior. Ummm….OK, maybe someone over at the FBI finally watched the Minority Report for pointers. :eek:

FBI agents would be alerted if the searches come up with evidence of "breaking events, incidents, and emerging threats."

so now to push more people to leave their profiles private and don't publish anything = app useless.

but as we know alot of stupid people out there, you would think they would already have this kind of talent in house.....since aren't they already scanning a ton of traffic?

Lets test it to see if they already do it - - we need a volunteer to write all the expressions related to terrorism and their devices here, very other board they post on, and also send it in all of their home emails/text messages as well as conversations on the phone - uh, then after repeating this for a week or so, tell us what happened - ha

If anyone thinks there is any freedom left, they need thier head examined - - speaking of movies (minority report mentioned above) here's another freedom movie example - - enemy of the state...

Can they do that since Facebook and ec are private corps? I didnt think they could do that w/o access to the servers to scan them?

If my profile is private how can they scan it then?

Can they do that since Facebook and ec are private corps? I didnt think they could do that w/o access to the servers to scan them?

Very good question. FB like everyone else on the net keeps logs of ip addresses. Wouldn't the first line of defense for you be a proxy. Other then security agencies who can packet sniff
, tech I don't even know about, if they want you they will find you. If FB were building a profile of you, at least they won't know what part of the country you live in.Just rambling here, its sunday.

Criminals who are dumb enough to publicly post about their criminal behavior on Facebook get arrested all the time. Local police departments have already had this figured out for years. How many times has the HardOCP front page linked to stories about criminals posting video of vandalizing houses or of all the stuff they stole?

If the FBI isn't already doing this, they are really slow on the uptake, but I am guessing they already are doing it manually, and they're just writing an app to get rid of the slog labor. Not really news.

People need to understand that whatever they post on their public profile is information open to any and all persons/parties.

If some criminal that the FBI would be interested is stupid enough to use Facebook at all, I wouldn't expect them to be free for long.

Also people really need to rethink the realistic expectation of privacy of using these social forums

Yes, because criminals are totally going to...

1) Use Facebook as their primary means of communication
2) Leave their profiles full of evidence wide open

More of our tax money hard at work. :rolleyes:

Yes, because criminals are totally going to...

1) Use Facebook as their primary means of communication
2) Leave their profiles full of evidence wide open

More of our tax money hard at work. :rolleyes:

But they do. Lots of criminals are just that dumb. Just google for "facebook criminals caught". These are the low-hanging fruit of the criminal world, and they should be harvested accordingly.

I went back and read the RFI (request for information) - this is really early on in the contract process, but the entire things is a little bizarre...

Presuming they already have a very large IT recon area, and presuming they have likely been discussing this for some time, I don't understand why they went public, as this kind of capability should be a part of programs they already have - and the homeland security geeks would have normally found a way to justify this in a covert program.

Since the window for the RFI is very short - - weeks - - and presumably they have some firms in mind already (normally 'unsolicited proposals') I'm beginning to think this may all be for show...

- - in that they fire of this trial balloon to see what kind of public outrage there is - or lack of it - - and then since the whole thing has been 'out in the open' they have 'nothing to hide' if the sh*t hits the fan - - like their 'fast and furious' fiasco...

"order to aid how it predicts and reacts to criminal behavior, including public disorder and terrorism"

So does this mean if I read a news article online about, oh say, SOPA/PIPA, OWS, something like that, and share it on my profile that I'm committing a crime of public disorder and/or terrorism? And I'll be watched by the FBI?

they would scan public data, not private data since private data would require people to accept you as their friend.

If they are smart they'l make 50 different versions of the app all in the form of Internet memes. When people add them to their facebook profiles instantly the FBI will have all of their private data, and the private data of all their friends.

Brilliant! :rolleyes:

Facebook really needs to be forced to make things that are PRIVATE actually PRIVATE, in other words, not shared with anyone for any reason.

Sounds like a logical thing to do for them. Why sound surprised?

Yep, probably someone found out and now they have to announce it.
It's already done.

And probably has been for quite some time. Redundant when a bunch of these companies like Facebook and Google shamelessly data mine anyways.

so now to push more people to leave their profiles private and don't publish anything = app useless.

Again, privacy settings are useless against apps. Once you accept them and use them they have access to everything of yours and your friends.

Most of the silly little meme apps on facebook are nothing but clever ruses for hidden parties to get at your and your friends private data so they can sell it for a profit to the highest bidder.

Think of your list of a hundred or so friends. if even one of them is dumb enough to use an app, your information marked as private is in the hands of that app maker, unless you intentionally block friend apps from accessing your profile, a feature that's buried and hidden in the privacy settings, and even if you don, it's not 100% aviodable.

The only way to keep your data secure in facebook is to completely disable the application structure, but then that means no Scrabble, no Words with Friends, No Spotify, No Last.fm plugins, etc. etc.

So your choice is essentially to have Facebook work and be interesting, and by doing so share all your data, private or not, or to disable core portions of facebook and have it be lame.

It really is infuriating.

Zarathustra[H];1038324018 said:
Facebook really needs to be forced to make things that are PRIVATE actually PRIVATE, in other words, not shared with anyone for any reason.

The whole point of Facebook is for users to share social info with other users. Anyone who expects to have privacy on Facebook is being as silly as expecting to have privacy on Twitter.

The Internet is not a private place and is not a place for private data. Any data that is on the Internet is no longer private.

The whole point of Facebook is for users to share social info with other users. Anyone who expects to have privacy on Facebook is being as silly as expecting to have privacy on Twitter.

The Internet is not a private place and is not a place for private data. Any data that is on the Internet is no longer private.

I understand that sentiment, but in that case they should end the charade and just remove all the privacy settings.

If they are claiming privacy (which they are) then they should have to live up to it, and not put in ways circumvent the privacy settings to anyone who cares to enter.

IMHO, there is always a security risk on the internet, but the content in my Facebook should be as secure as the contents of my email inbox, or my online bank account or my voicemail box.

Find stupid people in American population, recruit stupid people in American population to make up the police & raw military force, write laws against the Constitution, freedom, and the people, ????, and... profit! $$$

Back