FBI Ordered to Copy 150TB of Seized Megaupload Data

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by HardOCP News, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Serpent

Serpent 2[H]4U

I remember in one new post before that the FBI copied it before. I'm guessing they didn't take the drive with the data, just the data.

Ah, but the idea is that people are paying MU to distribute the data/property by using the service. Much like UPS.

2. Raudulfr

Raudulfr 2[H]4U

You mean like when record labels screw artists out of their royalties? Or do copyright infringement themselves by selling music from unlicensed/indie artists without paying them and without their consent?

3. DW-UK

DW-UK [H]ard|Gawd

What happens when the downloaded "files" contains someone’s property?

What normally happens, on the Internet, is that the owner’s lawyers tell them that they are in breech of distributions laws and must take it down. If they don’t take it down, within a certain time, then legal proceedings will take place. (BTW: Copyright infringement can be put through Criminal Court. It is like property theft.)

If we were honest with ourselves, we would all admit that we know that Megaupload made the bulk of its money from the distribution of such files. That 150TB will contain the evidence.

The truth is Megaupload is like NetFlix, but without the distribution agreement.

Am I the only person who thinks that the existence of this Megaupload service was wrong. Don’t get me wrong, I am not against those who download stuff without paying for it. My issue is; that when money is exchanged for distributing someone’s property, then the owner of that property should get a share.

4. Raudulfr

Raudulfr 2[H]4U

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...ing-hundreds-millions-royalties-artists.shtml
    http://torrentfreak.com/record-labels-to-pay-45-million-for-pirating-artists-music-110110/

Feel free to google: "record labels steal from artists"

Or you don't have a problem with "property theft" when the record labels do it?

But please, feel free to ignore my post again, you might fall from your double-standards high horse.

5. SkribbelKat

SkribbelKat [H]ardness Supreme

It's neglect!

6. Sufu

Sufu [H]ard|Gawd

They are copying data by hand, by writing individual zeros and ones. I think they are doing fairly well so far.

7. Spidey329

Spidey329 [H]ardForum Junkie

I doubt that would get through the first round of court let alone the appeals process. It doesn't hold water.

The legal definition for "theft" is depriving someone else of their property. Because digital content is a copy it does not deprive the original owner of their property, thereby it does not constitute theft. This is why it's a civil matter for copyright courts. If you intend to make a profit off the selling of your "copied" goods, it becomes a criminal act - but again, it is not theft nor is it prosecuted as theft.

The issue at hands with MegaUpload here is whether they willfully uploaded pirated material and refused to remove it, then intended to sell "memberships" to access that pirated material. If they get a knowledgeable judge and jury, I don't see it flying.

8. rapid

rapid Limp Gawd

the megaupload captcha is a real chore

9. Bamboo

Bamboo Gawd

lol

10. NeghVar

NeghVar 2[H]4U

11. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

Lol, I like how they tout it as "One million gigabytes!!!" instead of 1,000 TB.