FBI Not Forced to Disclose iPhone Hack Company

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
It would seem that the FBI will not be forced to disclose the name of the company that cracked Syed Farook's iPhone 5C last year, or how much it paid to do so, in order for the FBI to search the contents of the phone after the San Bernardino terror attack.

In her ruling, released Saturday night, Chutkan said the identity of the firm that managed to unlock the iPhone and the price it was paid to do so are classified national security secrets and constitute intelligence sources or methods that can also be withheld on that basis. She also ruled that the amount paid for the hack reflects a confidential law enforcement technique or procedure that is exempt from disclosure under FOIA.

the news organizations argued
So this isn't a matter of the accused has the right to know how information is linked to them, or if there was some violation of the 5th amendment, but the news wants to be able to write a bunch of stories about how the FBI did it.

Would I sound like Alex Jones if I said I think there is a SUPER high chance it was Apple that did it, under the table, in a way that allowed them to save face?

Actually, that is not a far fetched possibility.

Last edited:
Now this makes Apple worried. Not so secure/safe after all. Locking an iPhone only good to stop people not police.

Back