FBI Launches $1B Face Recognition Project

HardOCP News

[H] News
As much as I want to crack jokes about the FBI spending a billion dollars on this "Next Generation Identification program, this doesn't really seem like a laughing matter. :eek:

Tests in 2010 showed that the best algorithms can pick someone out in a pool of 1.6 million mugshots 92 per cent of the time. It's possible to match a mugshot to a photo of a person who isn't looking at the camera too. Algorithms such as one developed by Marios Savvides's lab at Carnegie Mellon can analyse features of a front and side view set of mugshots, create a 3D model of the face, rotate it as much as 70 degrees to match the angle of the face in the photo, and then match the new 2D image with a fairly high degree of accuracy.

Who cares if the FBI spends a million dollars, its THEIR money, its not like its coming out of your poooo... oh yeah nevermind. DOH!

Considering the total expenditures of the government 1B is not bad for somthing that can be used by at least the DOJ as a whole.

Jesus .. what a waste. I would rather give that $1 Billion to NASA so they can at least achieve furthering our understanding of science and the Universe around us then watch the FBI piss it away and go back to ask for more.

This type of system has been tried and tried before , its amazing the kind of programs get funded and the kind that suffer from cuts.

Just another day on the planet of the apes. We never learn from history.

/sieg heil

Who cares if the FBI spends a million dollars, its THEIR money, its not like its coming out of your poooo... oh yeah nevermind. DOH!

Bet you a sawbuck that politicians and law enforcement will be exempt from the database "for reasons of national security".

I once wrote a paper titled "The long slow march to oblivion". It was about the fall of the roman empire......

History repeats itself. When a government spreads itself too thin, it fails and pulls a huge portion of humanity into that gravity well. Here's hoping we avoid it but damn, we have more important things to spend money on. Not that we have ANY say in these matters, still get out and vote folks.

I once wrote a paper titled "The long slow march to oblivion". It was about the fall of the roman empire......

History repeats itself. When a government spreads itself too thin, it fails and pulls a huge portion of humanity into that gravity well. Here's hoping we avoid it but damn, we have more important things to spend money on. Not that we have ANY say in these matters, still get out and vote folks.

This will be the first year i don't vote, which truly saddens me. Both sides are evil, and forget about trying to vote for an independent who doesn't have the funds to spread propaganda.

This will be the first year i don't vote, which truly saddens me. Both sides are evil, and forget about trying to vote for an independent who doesn't have the funds to spread propaganda.

Sooo that means you voted for Bush? And thats not evil/worse? :rolleyes:

Jesus .. what a waste. I would rather give that $1 Billion to NASA so they can at least achieve furthering our understanding of science and the Universe around us then watch the FBI piss it away and go back to ask for more.

This type of system has been tried and tried before , its amazing the kind of programs get funded and the kind that suffer from cuts.

Yeah, the future will see someone coming up with a 25 cent way to totally disable it, and after a few years the program will be cancelled due to it's innefectiveness.

Back