FBI Investigating Series Of Fiber Cuts In Bay Area

HardOCP News

[H] News
Ten instances on four separate nights and the FBI isn't sure if they are related? :rolleyes:

The FBI is looking into a series of deliberate cuts of fiber optic cables in the San Francisco Bay Area. In the past year, there were 10 instances on four separate nights when telecom cables were intentionally cut in Fremont, Walnut Creek, Alamo, Berkeley and San Jose, the agency said Monday.

Crackheads probably think there's copper in the wires.

I've seen that more than once.

I read about this somewhere else yesterday and the bad guys may have been dressed as utility workers, which makes this pretty dang premeditated.

I read about this somewhere else yesterday and the bad guys may have been dressed as utility workers, which makes this pretty dang premeditated.
So in other words, a blue dress shirt and jeans?

I live in Pleasant Hill, which is right next to Walnut Creek. One thing I notice is that as you drive around, there are those little warning flags in the dirt all over the place that say something like "underground cables here, do not dig". While the warning is nice, it's also kind of silly to basically tell the vandals exactly where they need to dig.

what does crack heads have to do with fiber cuts... fiber is not copper.

att contractors cutting comcast fiber or vice versa...

My bet is on the anti silicon valley crowd thinking they will drive out the tech money from the bay area by disrupting their internet.

My bet is that it's an inside job, just so these companies can use this repair job as justification why we're still running slow ass internet!

So what happens if the FBI finds out that there was no human involvement? :eek:

p0x2o.jpg

Honestly, probably the anarchist, anti-tech, anti-gentrification crowd. Same pleasant people who puked on the Google buses.

These brilliant folk think they should solve the housing shortage by...building less housing, and making the place where they live less desirable. Brilliant.

This is the logic of crackheads. Cables = copper. There have been homes completely stripped of all wires even if they weren't copper.

My bet is that it's an inside job, just so these companies can use this repair job as justification why we're still running slow ass internet!

If it's an inside job, it's because they are installing intermediary devices that will redirect your data to the nearest NSA data center.

That's why the USA is slow at adopting Gb speeds. The NSA hasn't upgraded their systems enough to support that much throughput for analysis. Once they get up to speed, we will.

(this is all BS, by the way. Please don't take it serious.... someone always does...)

Plus at least a class 2 ANSI high visibility vest and hard hat.
I've seen plenty of technicians without either. Besides people in general always assume if a guy is somewhere specifically in public dressed neatly, he must belong there.

I've seen plenty of technicians without either. Besides people in general always assume if a guy is somewhere specifically in public dressed neatly, he must belong there.
True ...
It would not surprise me if it's one or more disgruntled POTS , splicer or Fiber Tech who is /are out there cutting the lines.
In the last 4+ years there has been a lot of internal frustration with at&t and their employees on the west coast.So if there's anyone out here who could easily pull off cutting cable and sabotaging things it a former or current employee.

The bad thing is it's hard to tell between a crackhead and a sabotage, both are going to cut at a slack point and take everything with them.

One thing I notice is that as you drive around, there are those little warning flags in the dirt all over the place that say something like "underground cables here, do not dig".
These are placed when someone calls DigAlert to notify them they would like to dig in the area. DigAlert then notifies whichever companies they know operate in the area who send out people to mark their lines. This is why you'll often see white marked areas on the pavement showing where they want to dig. Concrete and asphalt get marked in pain and dirt gets flags. Of course the flags are often never removed afterward.

I worked in wireless telecom for about 13 years and dealt with my share of copper (or diesel) theft. My area was fairly rural so it happened on a regular basis. In this situation I would think the FBI would have looked at other related copper theft/vandalism within a timeframe and ruled it out. Cutting fiber looking for copper wire isn't a new thing so this could be different. The San Jose PG&E substation vandalism is a good example of something way out of some crackhead's MO.

In the past I heard of cases of employees doing this out of spite or to get the OT for the repair; AT&T is just as shitty to work for as they are to be a customer with. When you're dealing with someone who knows the plant someone like the FBI will have a hard time investigating something they have little knowledge of how it works.

For the first time, most children in the United States under the age of 5 are minorities – 50.2 percent - as the country moves closer to the point where a majority of Americans will be members of various minority groups.

Wow, even a thread about fiber cuts now has a post about the evil of minorities. Seriously people, get a life.

For the first time, most children in the United States under the age of 5 are minorities – 50.2 percent - as the country moves closer to the point where a majority of Americans will be members of various minority groups.

I'm not really sure what that has to do with fiber cable cuts, but those are bullshit stats. You have people who are 1/4 or even 1/8 or less of a various minority group being counted as a full-fledged minority, as if the rest of their ethnicity simply doesn't count.

I'm 1/16th Native American and I was simply blown away when I found out that under many contexts I could claim to be a full-fledged Native-American and a minority. I'm majority English/German and I'm pretty damn white...

Wow, even a thread about fiber cuts now has a post about the evil of minorities. Seriously people, get a life.
I'm going to go with a mispost that can't be edited... because otherwise geezus that post went full retard considering the topic.

Back