FBI Hasn't Learned Anything From Unlocked iPhone

HardOCP News

[H] News
I know this report claims that they haven't found anything useful on that unlocked iPhone but, this is the FBI, do you really think they would tell you if they did have information and compromise an investigation?

The FBI reportedly hasn't found anything helpful on the now-unlocked iPhone tied to the San Bernardino terror attack. The law enforcement agency is still analyzing information from the Apple iPhone 5C used by Syed Farook, CBS News reported Wednesday. The iPhone was at the center of a legal back-and-forth between the government and Apple earlier this year.

It seemed to be more about using the case to expand the justice department's powers to compel a private company to work around encryption. No doubt the NSA doesn't have problems breaking into iPhones and the FBI wouldn't be too far removed from those methods either.

12ipav.jpg

Even if it had nudies of someone and nothing to do with the attack, it was still part of their investigation, which is their job. I don't like their tactics to unlock the phone, but getting the information legally is just a part of their investigation.

So, it is part of their 'real investigation'. Just using tactics that are a bit shady. Like the good cop/bad cop stuff.

Even if it had nudies of someone and nothing to do with the attack, it was still part of their investigation, which is their job. I don't like their tactics to unlock the phone, but getting the information legally is just a part of their investigation.

So, it is part of their 'real investigation'. Just using tactics that are a bit shady. Like the good cop/bad cop stuff.

I mostly agree, but I see a part of it a little differently. The FBI goes several years with Apple unlocking many iphones and then a day comes along and Apple says, "no, we won't do this anymore". Then they follow that up with "We can't do it even if we want to". I don't think it's hard to see that there will come a head butting match from something like this.

Stupid people, didn't you know that the FBI has foilled hundrends of terror plots over the last week, due to opening this phone?

Seriously, these guys just make it up as they go along, and going along means listening to millions of innocent peoples phone and text conversations, while not stopping actual terror events, which when happen, they say they knew nothing about it before it happened.

Stupid people, didn't you know that the FBI has foilled hundrends of terror plots over the last week, due to opening this phone?

Seriously, these guys just make it up as they go along, and going along means listening to millions of innocent peoples phone and text conversations, while not stopping actual terror events, which when happen, they say they knew nothing about it before it happened.

...Make it up as they go along... hmmmm pot... kettle.... black...

You do realize at no point was this about on the fly or remote decryption? It was always about decryption of a physical device (gotten from legal search one would assume). Options included a special ROM that would allow multiple password attempts without wipe, access to data via an official Apple decryption process (aka apple controls/runs the tech and just hands over the data). There were a number of ideas that did not give the government free reign or a open back door.

I am still fairly conflicted on this issue.

One hand I think the government should have ways to legally get evidence. Encryption could becomes so strong, cheap and readily available that ability could possibly be hindered beyond what we have seen in the past (aka documents locked in safes... or madly shredded like in the movies etc). If that comes to pass something probably would have to be done. I would also speculate encryption will primarily help mainly rich white collar criminals and more sophisticated ones. The poor stupid criminals which probably do less harm would probably be hit harder as penalties rise trying to counter difficulty in evidence gathering and lower conviction rates.

On the other hand, we have had safes and other security methods that LE has not had master keys to for years. I am sure there are some uncrackable safes out there but access/cost would be high enough where that would be a factor in a very small % of proceedings. Could this be the same for encryption? Lets also not forget, most crime is still busted with good old witnesses, snitches, and classic detective work (look at silkroad). This specific case where the FBI went the classic route and got a 3rd party to get in (just like with safes) proves our current physical access laws/SOP are perfectly applicable FOR NOW. Would this race continue just as it did with Safe makers and other personal security offerings?

Or as mentioned will encryption somehow move faster, reach farther to make gathering evidence much more difficult to need something different?

They havent learned anything since the hole thing in San Bernardino was made up . You don't actually believe it was a coincidence they had a massive active shooter drill a few blocks from a terrorist attack. :)

I'm not a programmer, but I think I remember that there's a way to put data into picture files. So, wouldn't some terrorist just be able to put their private, secret info into a picture? And just add said picture (of a dick) into tens of thousands of other dick pics on their phone that all had some other useless imbedded information in them? The hide in plain sight thing? Wouldn't even need encryption. Or maybe I'm missing something.

Back