FBI: Foreign Hackers Penetrated State Election Systems

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like the elections in November could end up being even more interesting than they already are. I think it will be easy to tell if your local voting station has been hacked by the Russians if your list of candidates is A.) Vladimir B.) Vladimir C.) Vladimir D.) All of the above. ;)

But three days after that call, the FBI Cyber Division issued a potentially more disturbing warning, entitled “Targeting Activity Against State Board of Election Systems.” The alert, labeled as restricted for “NEED TO KNOW recipients,” disclosed that the bureau was investigating cyberintrusions against two state election websites this summer, including one that resulted in the “exfiltration,” or theft, of voter registration data.

Considering that these sites have more security holes that they should just set out a "Free Cornhole!" sign, is anyone REALLY surprised?

IMHO, every electronic voting system absolutely MUST have a paper trail, so that if there is any suggestion of hacking or tampering, there is something to fall back on.

One idea I once discussed with a friend of mine, who works with encryption and data security/privacy type stuff was, what if the voting machine printed you a receipt. The receipt had your anonymous (so that we still have a secret ballot) voter tracking number on it. You could then enter this tracking number on a government web page, and it would pull up your record in the system and verify that your vote was on file accurately.

Anything that can limit Diebold's ability to throw an election is beneficial, IMHO.

I'm a software dev, and I firmly believe there must be a physical paper trail.

And as an aside, the idea that voting booths have Wifi, or worse, are connected directly to the Internet, is idiotic at best. Make them closed networks that requires a PHYSICAL connection with an external device in order to configure/modify in any way. Ideally a device that itself has never been connected to the internet.

The Feds REALLY need to declare voting booths "critical infrastructure" and shove some regulations down the states throats; the current state of affairs for security is sad.

Jesus, still with the Russians.

He said he was told that the bureau was looking at a “possible link” to the recent highly publicized attack on the Democratic National Committee and other political organizations, which U.S. officials suspect was perpetrated by Russian government hackers.

Show me. Show me an official, that actually is associated with the situation, that has publicly implicated Russia. Julian Assange said from the BEGINNING that he was given the material from the DNC servers and that it was not anything to do with Russians. He almost outright named who it was that specifically that did it. But the Dem's do not want you to know that it was their own people that ratted them out. It's like scientology, you cannot break ranks, and once you do......your out.....for good.

It fact show me ANY proof that the Russians have done ANYTHING bad (aka aggressive) in the last 3.5 years since Snowden showed up on the scene.

dWmfUh7.jpg

I'm a software dev, and I firmly believe there must be a physical paper trail.

And as an aside, the idea that voting booths have Wifi, or worse, are connected directly to the Internet, is idiotic at best. Make them closed networks that requires a PHYSICAL connection with an external device in order to configure/modify in any way. Ideally a device that itself has never been connected to the internet.

The Feds REALLY need to declare voting booths "critical infrastructure" and shove some regulations down the states throats; the current state of affairs for security is sad.
I believe they should take it a step further.
-Zero internet connection to any of the machines, ever.
-Full paper trail.
-As you stated, the voting machines can be connected to a local server or external device, and that local server/device has zero connection to the net. Everything could be stored on a removable drive and must be duplicated and the duplicate stored on site for audit purposes.

Show me. Show me an official, that actually is associated with the situation, that has publicly implicated Russia. Julian Assange said from the BEGINNING that he was given the material from the DNC servers and that it was not anything to do with Russians. He almost outright named who it was that specifically that did it. But the Dem's do not want you to know that it was their own people that ratted them out. It's like scientology, you cannot break ranks, and once you do......your out.....for good.

It fact show me ANY proof that the Russians have done ANYTHING bad (aka aggressive) in the last 3.5 years since Snowden showed up on the scene.

dWmfUh7.jpg
Didn't the Russians just do some kind of hack, and then took credit for it? I think it was one of those if we hacked the dnc we would have said our type of deals.

I believe they should take it a step further.
-Zero internet connection to any of the machines, ever.
-Full paper trail.
-As you stated, the voting machines can be connected to a local server or external device, and that local server/device has zero connection to the net. Everything could be stored on a removable drive and must be duplicated and the duplicate stored on site for audit purposes.

I like this idea a lot, there is entirely too much corruption (on both sides, but the liberal party goes a step further, legally and illegally) to count on our overlords. The problem is twofold; first, the government can't do something like this, it would make sense and they are not coordinated enough and, two, there ain't no way they want a paper trail. Also, I don't see why everyone doesn't vote on the same day? I mean, when the first states come out and it's for X candidate, I know people that look at that and go - OOP, X2 doesn't have a chance, I'll just sit out -

Assange basically inferred that his leak was the recently murdered DNC staffer, Seth Rich. WikiLeaks is offering a $20,000 reward for information which leads to a conviction in his case.

Not to mention we don't vote for them anyway. We vote for the people that vote for them.

One in 10 DNC superdelegates were registered lobbyists

Nearly one in 10 superdelegates who voted in the Democratic presidential primaries were registered lobbyists, according to a new report, adding some support to Bernie Sanders's claim that "the system is rigged."

At least 63 of 712 superdelegates were registered at some point as lobbyists on the state or federal level, according to an analysis conducted this year by the nonpartisan, nonprofit Sunlight Foundation.

These individuals represented interests that span across big banks, healthcare insurers, the telecommunications industry and unions, including Goldman Sachs and Planned Parenthood.

........Sunlight also found an additional 32 individuals it classified as "shadow lobbyists," which it says are superdelegates who "aren't officially registered as lobbyists, but are heavily involved in the influence industry."

eh, it's not like the people we vote for end up being the person who actually does the job, lobbyists and their wealthy backers still rule the country.

It's even worse then that. If the person who voted does actually get into office, they under zero obligation to do anything they promised.

Its the ultimate finger crossing.

SU%252024%2520ship.jpg

Those poor innocent Russkies.

Does invading Crimea in 2014 not count as something bad in the last 3.5? Just to name one thing immediately.

dWmfUh7.jpg

Out for good is right considering Seth Rich is now dead. And FYI, the Clinton Foundation sold uranium to the Russians ;)

Frankly, I see this as the Clinton Foundation trying to set up to say the election was not legit in the event Trump wins. Comey is on the Clinton Foundation payroll...

Assange basically inferred that his leak was the recently murdered DNC staffer, Seth Rich. WikiLeaks is offering a $20,000 reward for information which leads to a conviction in his case.

That makes it what now, 43 dead bodies of people who had insider information on the Clintons or their campaign, going back to their Arkansas days?

Its LITERALLY House of Cards...

IMHO, every electronic voting system absolutely MUST have a paper trail, so that if there is any suggestion of hacking or tampering, there is something to fall back on.

One idea I once discussed with a friend of mine, who works with encryption and data security/privacy type stuff was, what if the voting machine printed you a receipt. The receipt had your anonymous (so that we still have a secret ballot) voter tracking number on it. You could then enter this tracking number on a government web page, and it would pull up your record in the system and verify that your vote was on file accurately.

Anything that can limit Diebold's ability to throw an election is beneficial, IMHO.

I found out that my last presidential vote was tossed out by some loser working at the polls. I had just moved to Wisconsin so had to fill out papers at the poll station. The lady said to give the papers to her and she would take care of it. Went to check my voters registration a couple years back and lo and behold, I was not a registered voter of Wisconsin. I thought something was fishy, should've asked for her identification.

Some sort of paper receipt would have prevented this.

This is normal pissing contest shit that our two countries do. Talk to people that did this same job during the Cold War and they will tell you the same stories.....from both sides.

If that plane actually posed a threat they would have striked.

Those poor innocent Russkies.

Does invading Crimea in 2014 not count as something bad in the last 3.5? Just to name one thing immediately.

No it does not. Crimea VOTED to have Russia come protect them (and the Russian base there) while Ukraine was experiencing regime change.

Ask Victoria Nuland why there was regime change.

No it does not. Crimea VOTED to have Russia come protect them (and the Russian base there) while Ukraine was experiencing regime change.

Yes, a 96.77% vote for Russia with an 83.1% voter turnout. Just like those really legitimate election results that come out of North Korea.

C'mon, man. Russia is your white knight in shining armor. Are you on their payroll or what?

Considering the Hillary ball-sucking mainstream media is showing polls of a few hundred and declaring her the winner, while anything with hundreds of thousands of respondents says otherwise, it's pretty obvious what the fuck is going to happen.

Considering the Hillary ball-sucking mainstream media is showing polls of a few hundred and declaring her the winner, while anything with hundreds of thousands of respondents says otherwise, it's pretty obvious what the fuck is going to happen.

Yes, do ignore poll results that you don't like, because that worked so well for you during the previous election.

Yes, do ignore poll results that you don't like, because that worked so well for you during the previous election.

I can't vote in your election, simply just watch the bread and circuses from afar.

All I was getting at, is that the tiny sample size media pushed polls, are totally different from the ones with large sample sizes that are not in the media for some very strange reason.
Besides, if you knowingly support an utterly corrupt, ISIS arming bitch, you have something wrong with you anyway.

I can't vote in your election, simply just watch the bread and circuses from afar.

All I was getting at, is that the tiny sample size media pushed polls, are totally different from the ones with large sample sizes that are not in the media for some very strange reason.
Besides, if you knowingly support an utterly corrupt, ISIS arming bitch, you have something wrong with you anyway.

Very good, you know that the margin of error decreases as more people are surveyed! You get a cookie! But have you taken into account that other factors significantly decrease polling accuracy, such as bias sampling, convenience sampling, volunteer bias, and timing bias?

LOL man I need popcorn the conspiracy theories are just too damn good!

Since you don't like conspiracy theories, try this actual historical event on for size. Then you'll understand who the Clintons are, and how the US presidents are more alike than they differ.

Last edited:
Reactions: N4CR
like this
The cold war evolved into nothing more than a collusion that let the politicians of Russia and the United States mutually control their respective populous and prop up the military industrial complex of each nation. It allowed them to conscript massive amounts of wealth and labor, from a willing (frightened) populous.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I'm just going to emphasize those two words for you.

We are in a mini Cold War right now with Russia. This time it's not about nukes and space lasers though. It's about gas and oil. Look at the nations that have had regime change in the last several years and then look at where Russia has pipelines, has plans for pipelines, or are end users of Russian energy products.

Yes, a 96.77% vote for Russia with an 83.1% voter turnout. Just like those really legitimate election results that come out of North Korea.

C'mon, man. Russia is your white knight in shining armor. Are you on their payroll or what?

It's still a democratic vote, no matter what you think or are told. Isn't that all we are trying to do in the world?

But even so, even if they weren't asked to come there (which they were) do you know the significance of Crimea to Russia? There is a naval base there that is almost as old as America itself. Think about....a navy base as old our country. Do you think that Russia is going to just let that go because a country on the other side of the world is trying to spread democracy?

Were you aware that we have a base in Turkey with nuclear weapons? We have a operating base 700 miles from the Russian border with many nukes (I think it's like 40-50). Were you aware that Erdogan (Turkey president) is increasingly looking at commandeering the base because of perceived threats of "spreading democracy" by the US? So what would YOU do? Would go in and protect our forces and nuclear weapons? Or would you say "hey, they are a sovereign nation, I guess they should be allowed to have the base"?

You can call me whatever you want. But my only objective is to make damn sure that you understand what it is you are being asked to believe in. You are being asked to go to war with the 2nd or 3rd strongest force in the world. The Russians took the biggest beating in the history of mankind in WW2 and they still managed to limp away victorious. And now your leaders want to go to war with them. I hope you know what you are getting in to.

Here's something else to consider. Think about the leaders of our country that will be making decisions when it comes to fighting someone like Russia (or China). What fears have they experienced since coming into leadership? Do any of them know what it's like to fear another country? We haven't had a true enemy on match with us for 30+ years. We have only lost about 5K soldiers despite being at war for the last 15 years straight. I hope they are prepared for a real war.

Welcome to your modern and automate booth.
Please vote
voter 1: ok, let me vote for my boy sanders!
Booth: Thanks for voting for Hillary!
Voter 1: dafuq?

Voter 2: Finally, we are going to make america great again!
Voter 2: dafuq?

Voter 3: Fuck these two corrupts shills, I'm voting green!
Voter 3: dafuq??

or something like that.:)

He has one guy who is tight pointed out by the guy in the Clinton campaign which is equally tight.

Had one guy - Manifort is no longer with the Campaign. And don't forget that Hillary sold uranium to the Russians. She has more dealings with them than Trump.

Back