FBI Admits Anonymous Snooped Conference Call

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The FBI has reluctantly admitted that the Hactivist group Anonymous was able to break security protocols and listen in on a conversation between the Agency and UK Police concerning what else, but the group Anonymous itself.

At the very least, such an intrusion is an embarrassment for the FBI, which should be securing its conference call lines.

No one apparently, or it was the idiot who forwarded the email to his personal email account and that is how it was intercepted the FBI claim...:rolleyes:

Still, Anonymous is making the FBI look like a bunch of idiots. Say what you will about script kiddies, but who else can pull this sorta thing off? I'm sure Iran is looking at them and going, damn how they do that?

Haha, that's awesome.

I wonder how the government feels now. They do it to us all the time.

Well if the FBI security is anything like the military's it cant be that difficult... lol

Well if the FBI security is anything like the military's it cant be that difficult... lol

I would expect the FBI to have crazy security, like that call was probably over a private circuit and encrypted on top of it. Most likely not mainstream encryption that normal people know about, they probably have their own algorithm that's not only super better than what is known,but because it's not well known it makes it even harder.

I'm sure if anonymous did not somehow get the decryption details or know what building has access to this circuit, it would have been nearly impossible to do. I doubt this phone call is on a standard phone conference bridge like a typical company would use. :p

I would expect the FBI to have crazy security, like that call was probably over a private circuit and encrypted on top of it. Most likely not mainstream encryption that normal people know about, they probably have their own algorithm that's not only super better than what is known,but because it's not well known it makes it even harder.

I'm sure if anonymous did not somehow get the decryption details or know what building has access to this circuit, it would have been nearly impossible to do. I doubt this phone call is on a standard phone conference bridge like a typical company would use. :p

FBI != NSA

[...]Most likely not mainstream encryption that normal people know about, they probably have their own algorithm that's not only super better than what is known,but because it's not well known it makes it even harder. [...]

no, sorry, but a good cryptographic algorithm *should* be open source. the more eyes verify it's security the higher the odds that it doesn't have flaws. by not making it public you just make yourself very vulnerable. and AES is approved by the NSA as a secure encryption standard if you mean that by "mainstream". I'm not aware of any critical flaws with AES so that should be super enough even for top secret stuff. though, of course I don't know what the NSA really encrypts their stuff with. probably a trial version of winzip 6.0 to send password protected files per e-mail.

Since we're on the topic. How can I encrypt all of my internet traffic?

Also, I had my primary SSD encrypted with AES-TwoFish-Serpant but my SSD performance was heavily degraded after. I removed the system encryption and bam, back to normal. Even windows experience index dipped once it was encrypted and came back to where it originally was once the encryption was removed. Might have to try a lower encryption like AES.

It was probably on skype

And when the Anonymous members end up in Federal pound me in the ass prison they'll it's better to be an idiot than a bitch.

I use AES on my SSD and I'm not even noticing it. What do you mean by encrypting your internet traffic?

I definitely noticed it with AES-TwoFish-Serpant though. AES having the fastest algorithm probably helps a lot. I was just trying out the best encryption TrueCrypt had though....lol. I thought SSD, why not! But nope, not for a system partition, for me anyway. I'm using a OCZ V3–MAX IOPS Edition 120GB SSD too.

capturefqc.png

Shot at 2012-02-04

I was just wondering if there is anyway to block anyone/everyone from sniffing any of my packets.

If you have bad packets disease, you need to make sure you wash your packets daily so as not to offend others with the odor.

What's funny about this group is they seem to be a small group of REALLY SMART hackers, but they use anonymous to throw off their own presence, and sometimes probably bait other wannabe "anonymous" cliche mask wearers to take the fall, unknowingly in the end of their digital crimes.... I wonder who the main guys are running the anonymous show.

We will find out in 10-15 years in some book being sold on TV, watch... since all old fat hackers usually brag for attention in their end days... since they never got their "deserved recognition"

no, sorry, but a good cryptographic algorithm *should* be open source. the more eyes verify it's security the higher the odds that it doesn't have flaws. by not making it public you just make yourself very vulnerable. and AES is approved by the NSA as a secure encryption standard if you mean that by "mainstream". I'm not aware of any critical flaws with AES so that should be super enough even for top secret stuff. though, of course I don't know what the NSA really encrypts their stuff with. probably a trial version of winzip 6.0 to send password protected files per e-mail.

In principle, yes. But this is the FBI we are talking about, or more generally, the US government. With the NSA and all the other entities I'm pretty sure they have developed a highly powerful algorithm for this type of thing. The keys are not 256, 512 or 1024 bits they are probably in the mb range.

Though, I guess no encryption is good enough if the key or other info that gives access to an unencrypted stream is sent over an unencrypted channel such as email. :D

What's funny about this group is they seem to be a small group of REALLY SMART hackers, but they use anonymous to throw off their own presence, and sometimes probably bait other wannabe "anonymous" cliche mask wearers to take the fall, unknowingly in the end of their digital crimes.... I wonder who the main guys are running the anonymous show.

That really seems to be the case. It seems like the majority of anonymous does whatever the hive mind does, and while the whole world looks at them, the actual "black hats" plan the real attacks. It doesn't take any skill to pull off a ddns, but it doesn't take very many skilled hackers/crackers to pull off a "wire tap" such as the aforementioned.

Ah ok, then you need to get a VPN service such as blackVPN.

That might work but I'd lean towards it'll kill my current bandwidth while in use, no? I just assume it's for special occasions and not a complete 24/7 connection. Am I wrong?

Maybe I just ask for too much though...lol

That might work but I'd lean towards it'll kill my current bandwidth while in use, no? I just assume it's for special occasions and not a complete 24/7 connection. Am I wrong?

Maybe I just ask for too much though...lol

Not sure what you mean about killing your bandwidth, but anything you do on the internet while you have the VPN connected will be "anonymized." So it's like you're browsing from a computer in Sweden or wherever the host is located. It doesn't use any real amount of bandwidth to stay connected, nor does it take any more bandwidth than if you weren't using the VPN, the difference is that your packets will be safely tucked away in a VPN tunnel.

What is [H]ard's fascination with these script kiddies?

People say that as if these guys are trying to do something and fail all the time(which I'm well aware of their failures), but when some group does something like this I think they are far more talented then "script kiddies." Not all of them, obviously...but there is a small group of them that seems to know what the fuck they're doing.

Of course, everyone here is an internet badass who knows more than everyone else.:rolleyes:

I wish Anonymous would apply its talent to uncovering and revealing President Obama's college transcripts.

I can guarantee that their conference call system has the ability to be very secure, but someone had a hissy fit about having to go through the extra steps to receive a call or the IT admin couldn't figure it out. I work with a lot of government agencies and it blows my mind that they often have the equipment like PIX and ASA firewalls, but the IT department doesn't know how to maintain them, so they shelve the equipment. In the corporate world management is the number 1 impediment to security, followed by IT staff that doesn't know how to deal with management.

If you actually listen to the released audio recording of the call, there was no cracking or decrypting .. the party chat took place over old style at&t conferencing, and anonymous had the conference room # & pass code.. they just dialed into it and listened / recorded.

If you actually listen to the released audio recording of the call, there was no cracking or decrypting .. the party chat took place over old style at&t conferencing, and anonymous had the conference room # & pass code.. they just dialed into it and listened / recorded.

aka social engineering

Back