fax with adsl router

colore

Limp Gawd
hello!

I want to install and use a fax

my system is Win7 and a Pirelli router that I dont know how to even find its model name

i would like to ask
1) is it possible to have fax in my system ?
2) how do I configure it ?

thanks!

Last edited:
A dedicated fax machine has nothing to do with the router. Fax machines connect to phone lines. Ditch the fax and use e-mail.

no, I dont own or want to buy a fax machine

I want to be able to send and receive fax with my current system:
Win7 and a Pirelli adsl router

is it possible?
what do I need to do?

I wish everybody would ditch the fax and use email, but unfortunately some still havent done it

Does your PC have a dial up modem? You can't send or receive a fax without a fax machine or a fax printer combo or a dial up modem in your computer with fax software. And you need a phone line going to the fax or or the modem. Your modem should have a port to plug in a phone. Do you have dial tone? Do yo have DSL without phone service? You need phone service for the fax to work.

I have DSL and phone service with dial tone

I dont seem to have dial up modem:
- it doesnt show up in Device Manager
- there is no phone port in the back of my pc tower

can't my Pirelli VoIP Router act as a dial up modem or fax machine? with the appropriate software (either Win7-bundled software or third-party software)? that router itself has ports for "phone"

I have DSL and phone service with dial tone

I dont seem to have dial up modem:
- it doesnt show up in Device Manager
- there is no phone port in the back of my pc tower

can't my Pirelli VoIP Router act as a dial up modem or fax machine? with the appropriate software (either Win7-bundled software or third-party software)? that router itself has ports for "phone"

I'm betting the "phone" ports on the modem/router are for phones coming off the DSL line. Many of the 2Wire's have one or multiple phone jacks on them just for this. They do this so that if you only have one jack, you can still have the modem and a phone on the same jack without need a second wall jack.

You can hook a fax machine up to a regular voice line and receive faxes that way or you can use a modem in your computer attached to your voice line and get them that way. It will tie up your phone calls though anytime you receive a fax.

Look into efaxing. You can get your own fax number and have them email you the received fax as an email attachment. You can also send faxes by email. We use myfax for a couple people here where I work. So far it's been working great for the past 2 years. We've had a bit of downtime, but nothing major.

thanks, I am aware of virtual fax services offer by some companies
to be honest, I already own one
but I want to operate a fax (send/receive faxes, without a dedicated machine) from my own telephone number

I thought most routers nowadays would incorporate a simple dialup modem and fax
moreover, the fact that my Pirelli says it's a 'VoIP router', made me think there would be definately a way to make it work as a fax, operate a telephone from my pc (ie. use my microphone and speakers to make dials, etc)

I know of no router/gateway that can fax right from itself. There's fax appliances, but they usually connect to phone lines or through IP.

The problem with a DSL modem faxing is that it would tie up your DSL line while it was faxing. I'm not 100%, but you can't just take a DSL line, put a fax machine on it and have it work. You would need a second line with a dial tone.

I believe it's called a VOIP Router because if your ISP supports it, you can plug your phone into the modem and then make calls via VOIP with it.

I have one line with both dsl and phone service on it (one phone number), both working at the same time

it would be possible to have fax on that line, but at the time of fax operation, the phone wouldnt work

I have one line with both dsl and phone service on it (one phone number), both working at the same time

it would be possible to have fax on that line, but at the time of fax operation, the phone wouldnt work

Well it's actually 2 lines as DSL needs it's own, but yes.

I thought most routers nowadays would incorporate a simple dialup modem and fax
moreover, the fact that my Pirelli says it's a 'VoIP router', made me think there would be definately a way to make it work as a fax, operate a telephone from my pc (ie. use my microphone and speakers to make dials, etc)

Why would you think that? Just because you think it would be convenient to you in this situation doesn't mean it should be a universal standard. A line needs to be drawn between rationalization and wishful thinking.

I wouldn't (and haven't) invested any money in faxing- it's a dead technology. If you have to have fax capability via phone line, get a fax modem card, or better yet a USB fax modem (here).

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
False -- DSL most commonly runs on the exact same copper pair as your dial tone service. DSL can also be ran by itself on a dry loop (no dialtone, pure DSL), but no phone company is going to sell them both separately to the same service address on different pairs unless you can sweet talk them into it.

This is the exact reason you have DSL filters. It keeps your phone calls from creeping into the bandwidth/frequencies on the wire set aside for the DSL.

OP: Your router has nothing to do with any of this. If you get dial tone off your routers port, it is more than likely provided as a convenience and as a plus, I would bet $20 it is filtered for you already (hence the convenience). This would simply be a pass through of your existing line and functions no different than if you split the wall jack at the port.

To answer your question I would look into getting a USB or PCIe modem to pop in your computer. Ensure it supports faxing, and as a plus, voice. Then use whatever fax software you can find.

Umm no. I have been installing DSL service for a telco for 10 years and DSL works just fine with a single POTS line. In fact we don't offer DSL service without dial tone. Phones connected to the line have to have DSL filters on them. Or have a dedicated station wire from the NID on the side of the house. I have many businesses that use their fax line for their DSL because it makes installing it easier as far as filtering goes.

OP, you need a fax modem for your PC. Either a PCI one or a USB one. To send a fax your need a hardware modem. And the software on the PC to make it work.

Back