Favorites to all users in WinXP Pro

sandmanx

[H]F Junkie
I'm currently setting up a WinXP Pro machine for a remote location for work. They just need a single machine there, and I've setup fast user switching for the 3 managers there who will be using the machine.

The problem I'm running into now is setting favorites for all the users of the machine. In the past with Win2K, you could drop favorites in the 'All users\favorites' directory and they would show up for everyone. After searching on google for a while, it looked like I needed to setup a default user profile in order to accomplish this. So I did that, and copied the favorites to that favorite directory, but they still do not show up.

I'm wondering if there is a way to get the favorites to show up without having to go to each profile and copy them over. While I could do that, I would like to be able to control them from one location, rather than each directory, in case of changes in the future. Does anyone have any ideas on how to do this?

Ive built machines and popped a few web links into C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Favorites on the machines and its shown up for the users.

But they were domain machines, not workgroup/fast user switching, Id guess it should work the same.

Guess the other way you could do it would to be put the links in the C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Favorites folder before the users sign on with the 3 accounts they would use every day...

Thanks for the reply. I tried copying a link on my work machine I'm on now(WinXP Pro SP2), which is on a Win2K AD domain, and it doesn't show up here either. If I use a Win2K Pro machine, it will show up though.

I've already setup the 3 accounts and setup their email and desktops, so I don't want to have to recreate them. If I have to, I'll just copy the favorites into each one of their profiles, but as I said before, I'd like to have them manageable from one location. That makes things easier when I VPN to the machine, and when there is rollover there it would be one less hassle to update outdated links.

Just a thought, after you copy the link there, maybe you have to set the permissions to 'everyone' and 'full' ?

Just a thought, after you copy the link there, maybe you have to set the permissions to 'everyone' and 'full' ?

Yeah, I forgot to mention that was the first thing that I checked. I also checked the registry and verified the common favorites folder was pointing to the right place. I'm just going to copy to each directory now, and I can fix it later if I find a solution.

Back