Favorite Strategy Games

Originally posted by jtsnewo4
I really enjoyed Homeworld as well, never got around to trying out Homeworld 2.

I know this isn't an RTS, but man, I really wish that there was a third game in the Freespace series. Freespace 1+2 totally blew me away. I played both of them 14 hours straight, went to school, and came home and kept playing. :eek:

Homeworld was very badass, story was so great, voice acting was awesome, like when the narrator started crying...oh man that game rocked

Another great strategy game was Cossacks. A new release of Cossacks Anthology which includes Cossacks: European Wars, Cossacks: The Art of War, and Cossacks: Back to War is part of the GoGamer 48 hour madness sale for only $12.90 :).

1. Tiberian Sun/Firestorm

distant#2

2.Red Alert
3.General/ZeroHour
4. Red alert 2/ Yuri Revenge

and a very very distant 5th is WC3/FT

Rise of Nations for sure

I love that game so much, especially at lans.

I was going to pick to pick up Spellforce since it looks so intriguing at GoGamer cause they got in a shipment early but they have been sold out of it for several days now.

There are quite a few good strategy games coming up im looking forward too. Three being Lord of the Realms III, Castle Strike, and Knights of Honor.

I think i need to play some TA :).

Time to find my discs. Wonder if anyone is still playing this online.

Cheers,

Mr. Pain

-- If memory serves me well, the AI In this was pretty damn good.

-- Oh, and why can't other games have a queue system like this? Shift click click click click.... grrr..

Where can I get the Total Annihilation Commander Pack???? I traded it in like 2 years ago and now I'm kicking my ass for doing it :mad:

Originally posted by burningrave101
Also why is 1503 A.D. The New World only $9.99 on EBGames and GameStop but like $34.99 on GoGamer? Is it cause its just the cd case and no retail box and manual?

Pretend 1503AD does not exist, as it lacks multiplayer and the promised update to add it is now pretty much vaporware. There is also no random map function. I was REALLY disappointed in this, given how much fun 1602AD was.

Originally posted by SuperSubZero
Pretend 1503AD does not exist, as it lacks multiplayer and the promised update to add it is now pretty much vaporware. There is also no random map function. I was REALLY disappointed in this, given how much fun 1602AD was.

Multiplayer doesn't mean much to me in most games because im on dial up and dont play online :). But i have already pretty much ruled out getting 1503 A.D. anyways.

For me, its:

C&C Red Alert
WarCraft III
StarCraft
C&C Tiberian Sun (just re-installed yesterday)

EDIT: and Earth 2150

I just started playing Rise of Nations recently. It's pretty good. A lot like Age of Empires but broader.

Originally posted by Acceptable_Risk
I just started playing Rise of Nations recently. It's pretty good. A lot like Age of Empires but broader.

I know there is alot of people that like Rise of Nations but i was looking over at the Gamespot forum and there were several that had alot of bad things to say about it and they said it really wasn't that good. I would pick Empires: Dawn of the Modern World over RoN.

Hrm lets see my list will probably be skewed by the nostalgia factor but whatever:

1. StarCraft
2. WC3
3. HW Cata
4. HW
5. TA
6. AoE series
7. Kohan

Kohan is probably a surprise for most but I can remember having a lot of fun in small, but long and intense games where battle lines started to form as each side built up companies tough enough to hold their ground for a while and set up strings of outposts to defend their to territory. Each side would try to concentrate enough companies at a point to break through and capture a city or destroy a group of outposts; it was surprisingly fun.

Notably absent from the list: any C&C game. I've played almost every single one and they were pretty fun, but I would not consider a single one of them to be near my favorites/toplist.

One of my personal favorite strategy games is Hearts of Iron. It's a WWII strategy game. The map covers the entire world and you can play any country. While it isn't turn based, you can pause any time you like for as long as you like (except in multiplayer) and the time scale is adjustable, so you only have to be quick to get to the pause button. In other words it's pretty much a pure strategy game rather than action-strategy like your typical RTS.

If you've got the patience it's also quite moddable. The only catch is you can mod the map. You can redefine the countries, but you're stuck playing on Earth.

The same company sells a lot of other similar games from different time periods.
http://www.strategyfirst.com

I like the poll on the stratagy first page, "Which sequel would you be most interested in playing?" :)

As for favorite strategy game, I'd have to say MOO2 or Civ2. Though ol' skool Empire Deluxe was fun over 14.4 modems :) But so was War Craft :).

Dont you guys play any NEW strategy games :p ?

These are all classics and all but i like something with updated graphics.

I can't believe noone said anything about Civilization 3 which in my eyes is the greatest turn based strategy game to date.

Really there hasn't been very many Strategy games released in the last 1-2 years that are worth looking at. Everyone spends too much time on FPS's.

I can't believe noone said anything about Civilization 3 which in my eyes is the greatest turn based strategy game to date.

Really there hasn't been very many Strategy games released in the last 1-2 years that are worth looking at. Everyone spends too much time on FPS's.

There's a reason for that, and you pretty much said it.

Not a lot of good RTS/Strat games out nowadays, because of the "FPS craze" if you will.

I do, but my GOD are they getting old.
Basically they are all the excat same.

"build wood/stone mills, houses, farms, etc"
"build barracks, etC"
"UPGRADE"
"ding, research"
"bada bing pump out units"
"bada bing take over the world"

That's basically the forumla for all new RTS games.

The only major RTS games i'm looking forward to are:
Lords of the Realm III
Castle siege (the demo is pretty damn fun, hope they have more things though)
and Rome Total war.

Back