Favorite RPG of all time?

FF7 blew me away as a kid but i really liked chrono cross it was the only RPG i played through twice

*i did play chrono trigger but it was the PS1 ver got a little more than halfway through but it was a pretty good game

1. Secret of Mana
2. Legend of Zelda
3. Xenogears

I loved the action/rpg interface for both 1 & 2. Can you believe that when my house was broken into about 10 years ago (looking for quick sale items), they took CDs, my gameboy, left the SNES but took Secret of Mana :( . Of all the things that they took, I think that losing that game was one of the most frustrating things.

Xenogears was great too, except that the play on Soylent Green started getting pretty weird and too many little fights while wandering the world towards the last half of the game.

Hmm... I think it is a stretch calling zelda an RPG. Otherwise, I'd say Ocarina of time. :p

FF7, FF Tactics are my faves.

Planescape: Torment - Greatest RPG ever.

Honorable mentions:

Zelda: Link to the Past
Shining Force
Fallout
Chrono Trigger

Did anyone say Final Fantasy Tactics? Oh, no? Then that's my vote and it also means I win. No game that came before or after will ever compare to Tactics, unless that new game is a Tactics remake that hands you Dew while you play.

1) SOM Multiplayer with little bro > all
2) Zelda SNES (still play it every 1.5 years)
3) FF7
4) FF4 (FF2 us)

Dragon Warrior... man I remember that game, it was the first one I ever played as well, back before I knew what an RPG was.

I think my favorites are still Might & Magic III and IV & V (World of Xeen). Despite the colorful graphics, they were very immersive. As for a more modern one that not enough people played, I really enjoyed Wizardry VIII.

The first fallout absolutely blew me away. The second was better, but i expected it to be really good so it wasnt quite the same effect.

However, i dont think ive ever been owned by a game like super mario rpg owned me. I dont know what it was, but i would literally be shocked when i looked at the clock after turning the game off- id sink 5 hours in and it would feel like 30 minutes. Anyone remember the crazy space bitch with the crystals? That battle took me 45 minutes, after about 20-25 all the enemies were out of mp and just sat there while i beat on them.

Good 'ol FF tactics. That was a great game, wasn't it? The story was kind of so-so (and the cast consisted of like 1000 people with similar names), but as a game it was wonderful. If you like that, try the Baldur's Gate games for PC. While note entirely the same "turn based" style of game, the ability to pause battles allowed you to make it so.

Of note, FFIX did try to re-create some of the old school magic, but the problem was that the main character and main enemies weren't really compelling. Beyond that, it was a terrific game.
FFVIII had one of the best storylines, but had AWFUL gameplay. The whole game revolved around dragging battles out to "drain" enemies for power. It was also awful about throwing important things around and if you missed them you *never* got a second try to get it again. I must've restarted that game 10 times before I learned to never save until I was CERTAIN I didn't miss something.

Is Zelda an RPG? Kind of. Definitely a hybrid at the very least.

I'd forgotten about Phantasy Star. That was also terrific. I loved 1 and 2. 3 SUUUUUCKED, but compensated with various endings and slight story twists. 4 was kick ass again, but short...and expensive! That game was $80 on release day!

Fallout. Hands down.

The developer's ability to mold such an immersive world through the art style still amazes me.

Tie between Morrowind and Neverwinter Nights.

Spent most of my time playing those two.

Baldur's Gate and KOTR are next.

Wow tough question, what is my favourite RPG? I'm not sure I can say but I can list some games that I really enjoyed playing. Finished all, some great memories.

1. Ultima Underworld 1 & 2
2. Eye of the Beholder 1,2 & 3
3. Lands of Lore
4. Fallout 1 & 2
5. System Shock 1 & 2
6. Final Fantasy VII
7. Ultima 7 The Serpent Isle & The Black Gate
8. Deus Ex

Xenogears is the most overrated JRPG in history. It's full of tripe, long-winded monologues that are completely juvenile to anyone who has read any philosophy, psychology, or sociology and utterly ridiculous to think of someone saying it aloud. The battle system was half-baked at best, where most of the players' work in acquiring new combos in the character combat system are completely useless for the last half of the game where the incredibly shallow mech combat system dominates. Square was right in cutting its budget (as you can see with the overly long and drawn-out first half and the choppy and shallow second half) as the developers had a great idea but had no clue who to execute on that project. Square's justification can be found in Xenosaga, where many of the same developers had all the budget and time they couldn't get from Square and, given far fewer constraints, said developers messed up their franchise even more. Xenosaga had so much potential that was just squandered and now Namco, just like Square, figured out their developers don't have what it takes to do Xeno right and cut the series in half (it was planned for six episodes and now the third will be the final installment).

Domingo said:
Good 'ol FF tactics. That was a great game, wasn't it? The story was kind of so-so (and the cast consisted of like 1000 people with similar names), but as a game it was wonderful. If you like that, try the Baldur's Gate games for PC. While note entirely the same "turn based" style of game, the ability to pause battles allowed you to make it so.

Of note, FFIX did try to re-create some of the old school magic, but the problem was that the main character and main enemies weren't really compelling. Beyond that, it was a terrific game.
FFVIII had one of the best storylines, but had AWFUL gameplay. The whole game revolved around dragging battles out to "drain" enemies for power. It was also awful about throwing important things around and if you missed them you *never* got a second try to get it again. I must've restarted that game 10 times before I learned to never save until I was CERTAIN I didn't miss something.

Is Zelda an RPG? Kind of. Definitely a hybrid at the very least.

I'd forgotten about Phantasy Star. That was also terrific. I loved 1 and 2. 3 SUUUUUCKED, but compensated with various endings and slight story twists. 4 was kick ass again, but short...and expensive! That game was $80 on release day!

I agree about your assessment of FFIX and FFVIII. FFVIII was such a paradox. It had some great story elements and characters but the gameplay itself just bogged the whole thing down that people have a very hard time enjoying and taking in the story. FFIX was completely forgettable. Everyone was drooling over it at the time but hardly anyone cares about it now and it has not affected the genre as a whole. No one even bothers to cosplay it, and people cosplay anything.

Neurofreeze said:
Xenogears is the most overrated JRPG in history. It's full of tripe, long-winded monologues that are completely juvenile to anyone who has read any philosophy, psychology, or sociology and utterly ridiculous to think of someone saying it aloud. The battle system was half-baked at best, where most of the players' work in acquiring new combos in the character combat system are completely useless for the last half of the game where the incredibly shallow mech combat system dominates. Square was right in cutting its budget (as you can see with the overly long and drawn-out first half and the choppy and shallow second half) as the developers had a great idea but had no clue who to execute on that project. Square's justification can be found in Xenosaga, where many of the same developers had all the budget and time they couldn't get from Square and, given far fewer constraints, said developers messed up their franchise even more. Xenosaga had so much potential that was just squandered and now Namco, just like Square, figured out their developers don't have what it takes to do Xeno right and cut the series in half (it was planned for six episodes and now the third will be the final installment).

I thought the original Xenogears was the sh!t. And I HATE the FF series (other than tactics!) and FF style games, but I absolutely loved Xenogears for the PSX.

Now, Xeno-Saga... those games should have never been made.

No one has mentioned the Paper Mario series...

kcthebrewer said:
The Legend of Zelda series is not an RPG, it is an adventure game.

RPG's allow you to level up. Also, RPG's could be either turn-based or realtime.
lol, I am sorry you feel that way...

phoderpants said:
Did anyone say Final Fantasy Tactics? Oh, no? Then that's my vote and it also means I win. No game that came before or after will ever compare to Tactics, unless that new game is a Tactics remake that hands you Dew while you play.
I clocked in 99 hours and 99 minutes on my primary save game in FFT. And I had another game that I almost beat the game with a second time.

First RPG that hooked me was Diablo. I played that off and on for YEARS. Awesomely addictive.

My favorite RPG of all time though is Morrowind. I've played through twice for around 75 - 100 hours of gameplay each time and now I'm working on my third time through. I wish more RPG's were this open ended.

I'm hoping soon I'll change my answer to Oblivion, once my preorder comes in... :D

Chrono Trigger, FF5, FF6, FF7, FF8, FF9, FF Tactics, Chrono Cross

then Breath of Fire 3 and 4 and Secret of Mana.

cyks said:
lol, I am sorry you feel that way...
Why? Just because I don't feel a game is not an RPG doesn't mean you nor I cannot roleplay with it. Every Zelda game I have played, I have loved (including 2, which most people hate or dislike). Saying Zelda is an RPG is pretty much like saying Tomb Raider is one too. Now Zelda offers a much better experience in every aspect than Tomb Raider, don't get me wrong. But adventure games have their place.

Well after looking at gamespot, they list Zelda as fantasy action adventure.

Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday - on genesis.

That game rocked my world. I've played it thru about 10 times

kcthebrewer said:
Why? Just because I don't feel a game is not an RPG doesn't mean you nor I cannot roleplay with it. Every Zelda game I have played, I have loved (including 2, which most people hate or dislike). Saying Zelda is an RPG is pretty much like saying Tomb Raider is one too. Now Zelda offers a much better experience in every aspect than Tomb Raider, don't get me wrong. But adventure games have their place.

Well after looking at gamespot, they list Zelda as fantasy action adventure.

I think part of the reason why it's such a great series is because it continues to defy convention and classification. It's one of the very few franchises that can actually make that claim. To me, however, it'll always be an RPG above all else; the way the game is presented and plays just screams it.

Fallout 2 (I haven't even played much of it, it still impressed me that much), Neverwinter Nights, and Baldur's Gate.

Not to start a flame war, but I don't get the FF obsession. I loved 2 and 3 (American numbers) back in the SNES days, but then I was 13 and hadn't really seen much in the way of RPGs. The really interesting stuff in those games, you have no control over. Ah, well...to each his own :)

Anything from the Shining Force series...I don't know why but I can never get tired of those games. :)

twyztyr said:
Chrono Trigger is my favorite game ever, not just RPG.

QFT! It's good to see other people agree with me. :) Chrono Trigger, hands-down, is so great that it would take practically the best game that could ever be conceivably produced to unseat it from its #1 spot...

The Legend of Zelda: A link to the past
Was my all time favorite until

Final Fantasy VII
Which we all know is the best RPG ever made.

kcthebrewer said:
The Legend of Zelda series is not an RPG, it is an adventure game.

RPG's allow you to level up. Also, RPG's could be either turn-based or realtime.
well actually it would be considered an action rpg if anything. it's definately not a CLASSIC rpg but it has some heavy rpg aspects in a non traditonal sense. great games nonetheless. i always appreciated that the dialogue in the zelda games called you by the name you picked. it added to the role playing aspect...i actually think that may be one of the things that makes the games so charming. my pick:

THE legend of zelda - NES

ANY Final Fantasy (there were several awesome ones on the first gameboy)
Complete Baldurs Gate Saga
Complete Icewind Dale Saga
Complete Neverwinter Nights Saga
Xenosaga
Diablo 1 and 2(for the lan parties I used to go to before college)
Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2
Elder Scrolls games (Arena, Morrowind, hopefully Oblivion)
Aethra Chronicles (old dos rpg that got me into rpg's in the first place, first one I ever played)
Fallout Series
Pool of Radience Ruins of Myth Drannor
Princess Maker (Yes you do make a princess but this game is sweet!! Try it sometime and see)
Septerra Core
Rage of Mages 1 and 2
Any zelda for the nintendo/supernintendo/original gameboy
this list can go on and on and on and on.......

I grew up with the Dragon Warriors series. When these conversations come up with people I always say Dragons Warriors (three was my favorite) and I get odd looks. It felt like nobody ever played them, it is good to see I am not crazy.

I'd like to mention Lunar. I really enjoyed that when I stumbled across it at a friends house for the PS1. I believe that was the remake. Anyway, I recall that catching my attention for quite some time. I really enjoyed the soundtrack. Mind you this was some years ago now.

Final Fantasy VII was epic, but I don't look back on it like I do the original Dragon Warriors for NES. I think it is a first love thing, the hours and time I had put into those games was a first for me. I even had a little notebook to keep tabs on things in the game.

Top= FF3
Rest= FF2, FF7, Secret of Mana, FF tactics, & Chrono trigger

FF3 was just nuts with Saban's streetfighter moves and the opera scene.
The final fight with Sepiroth in 7 was insane, there was like a full orchestra- that had to be a first for consoles at least.

Back