Favorite RPG of all time?

This is a tough question, there have been so many that have held my interest. FF1 and Dragon warrior were my first. I rented Zelda so much I could have bought it 4 times. My favorite is probably FF 7 though. I sucked me in and I couldnt' stop until it was done. If you have never played it, DO IT! Its the first one that actually SHOCKED me with its storyline.

Mario RPG? Blech, that game is sooooo boring, even with timed hits/defense/items, the plot is just dull.

I'm throwing my vote out for Chrono Trigger, with FFIV close behind.

ff7
grandia 1(no one mentioned this)
wild arms
star ocean

(not in order)

My vote would also be for Chronotrigger on the SNES. It was never released here in the UK as far as I am aware and was the only import game I have ever bought. Bought a converter just to play this game and it didn't disappoint.

My second vote would be Zelda: A link to the past which was also awesome.

I still have my SNES and Chronotrigger :D For some inane reason I got rid of Zelda after I completed it though :(

Grandia (Awesome real-time battle system)
Star Ocean (Took the Grandia battle system and made it better)
FF X (Brought FF into a new era, with awesome graphics and cool mechanics)
FF VII (The first 3d FF, need I say more)
FF 8 (Gunblades are awesome and the realistic styling did wonders for the game)
FF X-2 (best battle system the series has seen)
Secret of Mana (Action-rpg with Coop play, Awesome)
Suikoden 2 (More characters then you could shake a stick at)

Oh, wow some pretty cool games... some I think I havent even heard of that I might just think about picking up next time I go to the buy/rent some games. The thing that ruled about Chrono Trigger that I really liked was the New Game+ and the multiple endings. It also introduced (i think) The Active turn based battle system which i thought was awesome for all the expert - hardcore RPG players out there.

Do the Castlevania games count as RPG's? I'll add Symphony of the Night to my list :)

Here is my list:

RPGs
- Morrowind + Mods + Expansions
- NWN + Mods + Expansions
- KotOR 1 + 2
- Fable
- Jade Empire

JRPGs
- Suikoden 2
- SMT: Persona 2
- Chrono Trigger
- Skies of Arcadia
- Secret of Mana/Secret of Evermore (Tie)

Games I want to play but haven't gotten yet
- Fallout 2 (Would this version work on XP?)
- Planescape (Again, would this version work on XP?)
- ES4: Oblivion
- S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (if they keep in the factional standings and reputation system...and release the thing...)
- Panzer Dragoon Saga (I hope they will re-release some version of it someday...)
- Castlevania :Symphony of the Night

And if we are going to consider Zelda an RPG...
- Ninja Gaiden Black (Ryu gains health/spell points, learns new abilities, upgrades equipment, and explores)
- The Civilization series (Your Civ is your character that you grow and power up)
- Sid Meier's Pirates!
- Metroid Series
- Panzer Dragoon Orta

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
MH Knights said:
Games I want to play but haven't gotten yet
- Fallout 2 (Would this version work on XP?)

Yes, you can always set the executable to be compatible for Windows 9x versions. I do this with the Windows Version of Panzer General 1.2, which needs to be run under Windows 95 in 256 colors. Just right click the icon and go to the compatibility tab. The Fallout series were some great turn-based games.

MH Knights said:

I'm playing Planescape right now on my XP machine, no problems.

Betrayal at Krondor, had to think about 2 seconds on that one. Has anyone even played this game? It was based on a series of books and I couldn't believe how well they incorporated the story into the game, and it's such a huge game for it's time. It's available for free download and runs on XP if I can find the link.

chojin_1999 said:
Secret of Mana: The colorful characters and world hid the fact that this game had one of the best Action RPG setups ever made with a really great storyline too. It got the forumla of Warrior/Mage/Palladin correct. If your buddies were playing with you, you depended on them do their part. None of the three characters were throw-away characters, gameplay wise or storywise. The boss battles were also great in this game. They were huge and difficult to beat and happened alot. Unlike other games, you looked forward to the boss battles. The storyline was a different take than other RPG's at that time which made it unique, i.e. Randi's mom. I played this game over and over.

I still play this game from time to time. I'll give it a "Best All Time RPG". (I haven't played Chronotrigger yet.)

NWN (the OC no less) has occupied more playing time than any other game, except for Morrowind. I wouldn't call either the "best RPG" though, but some of my personal favorites. (along with Baldur's Gate II).

Adventure for the Atari 2600 will always be the most special to me since it introduced me to RPGs. "Created by Warren Robbinett". Heh.. I still remember where a lot of the stuff is.

At the time, Bard's Tale and Bard's Tale II were the hardest games I ever played.

FFII is another personal fave.

Zelda: A Link to the Past yet another.

PS:T is great though I've yet to make it farther into the game than a couple hours.

tys90 said:
Betrayal at Krondor, had to think about 2 seconds on that one. Has anyone even played this game? It was based on a series of books and I couldn't believe how well they incorporated the story into the game, and it's such a huge game for it's time. It's available for free download and runs on XP if I can find the link.

Have it somewhere, but could you provide the link? I played that game for many hours! :D

FF3, FF7, Angband, TOME, Baulder's Gate, Bards Tale, Dragon Wars.

I spent a great deal of time playing Final Fantasy III/VI, Final Fantasy X, and the KOTOR games, so I have to go with those.

KoToR. It had a great story and one of the best plot twists that I have ever played through. Also the gameplay was tight!

FF7

hands down... anyone who doesn't agree never spent the time to bother

Back