Favorite RPG of all time?

What is your favorite console RPG or computer RPG of all time? No MMO's just classics and stuff like that. I'd have to say mine would be Final Fantasy VII or Diablo II. Diablo II because of its super addictive gameplay and fun character builds. Final Fantasy VII for the best storyline ever, and the best Protogonist (Cloud/AVALANCHE), and Antogonist (Sephiroth/Shinra) ever. That game is better than most books ive read... :p Oh and don't forget about Fable, just love that game for the versatility. The whole world changed depending on your actions.

I'd also have to vote for FF7. Simply classic.

I'd have to place the first Zelda for SNES up there, too.

Fallout 2!!!

Absolutely no question for me about it. I loved that game. It was as close to a real pen and paper RPG as you could get. One of the reasons I loved it was that there were so many ways to solve any and all problems in the game.

Suikoden 1.

Before I played that game RPG were completely non-existant to me. I never really enjoyed them or gave them much of a chance. Picked Suikoden up just for the hell of it at the rental store once and got really into the story and the some of the aspects it added to the RPG games (Although I didn't know at the time)

After playing Suikoden I went out and bought various other RPG that I figured I'd now like... But nothing has held my interest like Suikoden other than Kingdom Hearts. KH felt epic enough to me that I felt compelled to play it... Suikoden is the only other RPG that gives me that feeling.

Suikodens formula of 6 in a party (at least at times) and the recruitment of 100+ people to join your groups, army, etc along with the larger scale battles that aren't just you vs a boss or you vs 6 slugs made all other RPG that didn't have something similar unplayable to me.

if action RPGs are allowed than I gotta give it to Dungeon Siege...

WOW, this is hard!

Chronotrigger, Dragon Warrior 4, FF (the one with the opera scene, nintendo version), FF 7.

Can't think of any more but I know I will. I really haven't played RPG anymore. Too long for me now and sometimes after a while of not playing I 4get where i am.

FF8 killed it for me. Since then I stopped playing.

I then played DW 7 and i got real busy and then I was lost. LOL

I totally forgot about the original Dragon Warrior for NES. I fired it up on an emulator on my PC and finished it again. Twice. LOL I don't know why it's addicting to me. It's so simple to play and the depth is fairly shallow. I just like it...

Now back to BF2... :D

Lol, wow lots of people like good games phew... I was thinking half of you are gonna say WoW or something. Im playing Final Fantasy 1 right now... going back to the roots, and wow it amazes me how little the games style havs changed over the years.

I dunno, its kind of a 3 way tie for me.

FFIV
Fallout 2
Syndicate (does that count? lol)

Baldur's Gate 2 (+ the Throne of Bhaal expansion) & Final Fantasy 6...the one that was released on the SNES as Final Fantasy III over here in the states. I still feel that it was the best of the series in terms of the plot. #7 gets a lot of the glory, but I found the plot to be virtually unplausable and the last 1/4 was thrown together. What was so good about #7 is the first half of the game and the fact that the graphics were such a huge jump. Plotwise, I found it so-so. Actually, I think I like #8 better.
Another one I really dug was Lunar, back in the Sega CD days!

Dragon Warrior for NES. I got it free with my subscription to nintendo power when I was like 9 years old and introduced me to the wonder world of RPG... once I was hooked, I beat

Dragon Warrior 2, 3, 4
Final Fantasy 2, 3 <---- INCREDIBLE!
Phantasy Star 3, 4

The transition to playstation for me wasn't that impressive. I dislike FF 7 & 8. They just didn't keep me into the game. I also hated the crappy graphics. I did like part 9! It brought me back into the series.

I watched my buddy blaze through FFX so I didn't bother playing. now since I am hella old these days, I just watch the videos instead of playing like FFX2. I did love FFOnline for PC. I snabbed that back in 03?? I can't remember when, but it was addicting.

Now, I don't play RPGs I just surf Hardforum. That is my new drug.

It looks like its a tie between real-time RPG and turn based... Personally I dont care, I just want a good story, interactive characters, and lots of extras and bonuses. I hate games where when you finish it its pretty much over. All they add at the end is some "super boss" thats eviler than the first one.

Ff7, Ff3, D&d, Mechwarrior, Whitewolf

Yeah I have to add Diablo2, and FFTactics, can't believe I forgot that.

Neveron: battletech online/RPG you owned and operated empires, and could role play a character, if you joined the right faction.

and Morrowind, though if you put in the jump code, hehehe "LOOK MA, I CAN FLY!"

The Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall

Also, in the runner up department, Castlevania for the NES. Not the first game (it was horrible) but the 2nd game in the series. I can't remember the exact name, but it is still to this day one of my all time favorites.

And I really like the Legend of Zelda: The minish cap as well.

This shouldn't even be up for discussion, the answer is Xenogears.

It's a tie for me between three titles

Dungeon Master, Robinson's Requiem & Elder Scrolls : Arena

Final Fantasy VI (FFIII in US): After watching the opening you knew you were playing an RPG with an incredible story. The cast of characters was large and each had their own side quests/stories that fleshed them out where it actually mattered which heroine the main character would choose at the end. You could customize your character's equipment with tons of different items changing their stats significantly. Each character's abilities were different and just didn't all into the Warrior/Thief/Mage/Palladin that most games do. There were a huge number of side quests that were fun and imaginitive (Opera Scene for example). The main bad-guy Kefka was crazy evil and literally had a god complex. You really hated that character. Finally, you got an actual ending which in of itself is great, but it was one that made you feel good about completing the game.

Secret of Mana: The colorful characters and world hid the fact that this game had one of the best Action RPG setups ever made with a really great storyline too. It got the forumla of Warrior/Mage/Palladin correct. If your buddies were playing with you, you depended on them do their part. None of the three characters were throw-away characters, gameplay wise or storywise. The boss battles were also great in this game. They were huge and difficult to beat and happened alot. Unlike other games, you looked forward to the boss battles. The storyline was a different take than other RPG's at that time which made it unique, i.e. Randi's mom. I played this game over and over.

chojin_1999 said:
Final Fantasy VI (FFIII in US): After watching the opening you knew you were playing an RPG with an incredible story. The cast of characters was large and each had their own side quests/stories that fleshed them out where it actually mattered which heroine the main character would choose at the end. You could customize your character's equipment with tons of different items changing their stats significantly. Each character's abilities were different and just didn't all into the Warrior/Thief/Mage/Palladin that most games do. There were a huge number of side quests that were fun and imaginitive (Opera Scene for example). The main bad-guy Kefka was crazy evil and literally had a god complex. You really hated that character. Finally, you got an actual ending which in of itself is great, but it was one that made you feel good about completing the game.

Secret of Mana: The colorful characters and world hid the fact that this game had one of the best Action RPG setups ever made with a really great storyline to. It got the forumla of Warrior/Mage/Palladin correct. If your buddies were playing with you, you depended on them do their part. None of the three characters were throw-away characters, gameplay wise or storywise. The boss battles were also great in this game. They were huge and difficult to beat and happened alot. Unlike other games, you looked forward to the boss battles. The storyline was a different take than other RPG's at that time which made it unique, i.e. Randi's mom. I played this game over and over.

What you said. Those two were THE BEST of all time. Those guys that started playing Final Fantasy on the PSX need to go back and play some old school. they will see how awesome the stories are and not be a bandwagon for VII. :)

Ultima IV

But really, this is too hard:

Planescape: Torment gets runner-up for me

Secret of Mana, that was a sweet game, totally forgot that one, been forever since I played it

Lots of good RPG's were out for SNES like Bahamut Lagoon, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Super Mario RPG, Legend of Zelda a Link to The Past, Earthbound... just to name a few.

Pool Of Radiance was my first and still my favorite. Chrono Trigger and FF3 are my favorite console ones.

Top for PC:
Fallout

Top for console:
FF6 (the aria is one of the best gaming moments ever)

runners up:
FF7
Fallout 2
Planescape: Torment

Special Mention:
Arcanum
Morrowind
Any other FF before 8

Moooooorroooowind can only be topped by Morrowind 2 or maybe maybe Oblivion :)

noobtech said:
Those guys that started playing Final Fantasy on the PSX need to go back and play some old school. they will see how awesome the stories are and not be a bandwagon for VII. :)
I have played most of all of them, and the best has always been VII. I question the bandwagon argument simply because your kind bases it on the fact that it was a bestseller. All blockbusters attract crowds from other brands or genres, but is that a bad thing?

I vote for Diablo & Zelda

FFVI was the first games that I ever played because the story hooked my in. It's one of the greatest games on the SNES. FFVII I played, and played, and played some more.

Super Mario RPG started me off, so that always has a very special place in my heart :)

For best RPG, I'd say...

Final Fantasy VII (PC) or Banjo-Kazooie (N64) or Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64).

It's a tie.

Zelda especially for the SNES. That game was always fun even if you just wanted to kill time.
Then, I heard there was going to be a huge hype for FF7 and I got the demo with Tobel (I think that was the fighting game, which was good too). I WAS HOOKED. I rented it and then for the next christmas I got it. About 60 hours and a couple of months I beat it. Then I did it again a couple years later and still loved it.

The Legend of Zelda series is not an RPG, it is an adventure game.

RPG's allow you to level up. Also, RPG's could be either turn-based or realtime.

retardedchicken said:
Super Mario RPG got me into playing them, so I will stick with that.

Haha same here.

I'd have to say: Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Fire Emblem, Quest 64 and of course the Diablo series.

kcthebrewer said:
The Legend of Zelda series is not an RPG, it is an adventure game.

RPG's allow you to level up. Also, RPG's could be either turn-based or realtime.

Zelda's an RPG; it falls in the same category as action RPGs. And gaining hearts is a form of leveling up; progression is the key here. Though it may stretch the definition a little, it definitely isn't an adventure game (which is an even more vague genre).

Anyway, back on topic; one my console favorites is the Suikoden series. And you can't forget Ultima VII for the PC because simply put, no other game will allow you to rob people while they sleep and bake bread using their oven at the same time.

Back