Favorite Reservoirs

JR_Rider

Gawd
Im gettin water cooling for christmas and i have the pump, radiator, and block choosed but i cant decide on a reservoir........so i was wondering whats you guys favorite reservoirs....maybey yall can help me choose....oh ya 50 and under.....

The new Poly res that Swiftech and DD offer is really nice.
It wont crack or break like crappy acrylic ones.
And it's only $18.
It's the one I ordered for my setup.

Yeah, that poly one is the only one I would consider if I didnt make my own. Cant argue with the price either.

T-line is good. no reason for a reservior really. that new swiftech one is good though or just make one out of pvc pipe.

I've got a dual bay res, and while it's nice it makes taking things apart quite difficult. I have to unhook the bay res from everything else to remove it, and even after draining the system there'll still be a bit of water in the hoses, so it's tedious work to try and remove the res. As long as you have a couple of open bays and you don't plan on going in and moving things around all the time then it's a good solution.

Building one out of PVC pipe will cost as much as buying the DD, D-Tek or Swiftech rez. That is if you build it out of 3 inch pipe. End cap $3-$5 need 2, glue another $5. 3 inch pipe its self and of corse the bards, $1 each and a fill plug. might as well get one pre made................. :D Although I do make some of mine when I have left over materials from a job.

DSC00778.JPG

DSC00780.JPG

It'd be great if they came out with a 3.5" version of the new DD/Swiftech res, putting it in a 5.25" bay means you either put it at the top of work IDE cables around it, which wouldn't be nice.

Just got my DD poly res in the mail from FedEx.
Looks like a quality res.

As a side note, they also shipped me my tubing.
I ordered 10' of ClearFlex 60 but they sent me 10' of Tygon. :D
Billed me for ClearFlex 60 too.
Got 10' of Tygon for $10 ;)

Biohazard-Thats a very sweet looking res you made there. That may just be the nicest home made res Ive seen.

Thewhiteguy- You have your IDE cables unsleeved and not tucked away?- SHAME ON YOU! - j/k lol.

Rtierney- 10 feet of tygon for $10.00 - I ordered clearflex and got clearflex, now I feel like I got ripped off somehow. Lucky guy.

MikeP said:
So thats a no res, no T line, no nothing setup basicly. Just a verticle tube thats got a removable cap (fillport) on the end. It actually makes sense.

you do see that the "just a verticle tube thats got a cap" is connected to a T fitting, and is what most people would call a t line, and with its placement, it would fill the sysetm fine, would a res fill/bleed faster sure, but it does have a t line.

thewhiteguy said:
That's too restrictive for a decent 1/2" system.

Spoken by experience or simply the FUD about 3/8" systems? I can tell you, by first hand experience, it doesn't affect temps more than 1c.

Here is a quote from Cathar about even using 3/8" barbs on his new Storm block, which should be shipped to me next week. :cool:

"Could happily use the block with 3/8" barbs to suit your present setup as the
flow rates with the pump being used aren't high enough to convincingly justify
the use of 1/2" barbs. "

Notice that he said
"as the
the use of 1/2" barbs."

Which sounds like to me, that if you had a higher flow pump, then the use of 1/2 inch barbs and tubing be a big help.

I also read Pro Cooling about everyday and most if not all recomend 1/2 tubing if at all possible.

well bigger is better but only if you can fill the space. say a different situation....

if i push 100gpm through a 1 inch diameter pipe i will have pretty free flow but at a very slow rate

if i push 100gpm through a 1 inch pipe then i will have more restricted flow but the water will be moving through the pipe at a higher velocity

i suppose it would be beneficial to have larger tubes because it can slow your system down and the longer your water stays in your radiator, the more heat will be dissapated. conversely, the longer your water stays in your CPU and GPU water blocks, the more heat they will pick up.

if you have a higher water velocity then it will pass through your components quicker, which means the temp difference between the water coming out of your radiator and the water coming out of your waterblocks will be closer together than with the slower system.

i know in a pc it makes like diddly difference. i mean after all, how much is your flow restricted by the all the blocks in the loop anyway?

Bio-Hazard said:
Notice that he said
"as the
the use of 1/2" barbs."

Which sounds like to me, that if you had a higher flow pump, then the use of 1/2 inch barbs and tubing be a big help.

I also read Pro Cooling about everyday and most if not all recomend 1/2 tubing if at all possible.

Not exactly..... everyone here seems to be under the impression using 3/8" will hurt, when in fact when done correctly can be just as effective. There are plenty of 1/2" systems that perform WORSE than a 3/8" system. I personally have gone through at least seven 1/2" configurations and find 3/8" much more pleasant on the eyes and easier to use, all while not sacraficing performance.

1/2" is more of a myth than required. / looks like a good case for Mythbusters! :p

My two favs are the Innovatek Tank-O-Matic, and Aqua-Computer's Aqua Res. The Tank-O-Matic is very easy to fill/empty when placed outside the PC.

dagamore said:
you do see that the "just a verticle tube thats got a cap" is connected to a T fitting, and is what most people would call a t line, and with its placement, it would fill the sysetm fine, would a res fill/bleed faster sure, but it does have a t line.

Im sorry, I mustve been huffing paint again when I posted that. Yeah, I see the T now. Its not even hiding or anything...well, back to my paint.

R1ckCa1n said:
Not exactly..... everyone here seems to be under the impression using 3/8" will hurt, when in fact when done correctly can be just as effective. There are plenty of 1/2" systems that perform WORSE than a 3/8" system. I personally have gone through at least seven 1/2" configurations and find 3/8" much more pleasant on the eyes and easier to use, all while not sacraficing performance.

1/2" is more of a myth than required. / looks like a good case for Mythbusters! :p

i think that we have to just agree to disagree, i love your set up by the way. :)
but you use the 3/8's as being no more than 1c over a 1/2 system is very uninformative to say the least.
using what parts, pump etc? measured by whom? with what equipment? are you using mobo sensors?etc...as long as you are happy with it. its all good.

i can tell you that i wouldnt go with something smaller than 3/8's thats just my personal opinion. i know a lot of people have smaller diameter system and swear by them, in the meantime i'll keep my 1/2 system.

Paying $70 for a res, plus $10 for mounting kit, plus $10 for spray thingy seems a bit silly... but hey, what do I know?

Um.....oops?

http://www.overclock.co.uk/customer/product.php?productid=17680&cat=571

Yes...I'm in the US. And yes, I'm getting someone to drill/tap the 1/4" BPT threads out to
1/4" NPT. I've got a custom built res in my case right now (12" long 2" diameter acrylic tube), so I've done the custom route. I just saw this thing and it said 'Buy me, ya dumb git". Couldn't help it....it had a high level of cool factor, plus I'm going with this 'black and blue' color scheme with the case....

whoami? said:
I've got a custom built res in my case right now (12" long 2" diameter acrylic tube),
Where did you find an acrylic tube? I need something like that and I'm in the US too so maybe a link or a store? :)

CrimandEvil said:
Where did you find an acrylic tube? I need something like that and I'm in the US too so maybe a link or a store? :)

I've just built my own reservoir out of acrylic tube. Acrylic tube is expensive because you have to order them in bulk. But I have about 8 feet..... so maybe I can sell you some since it's just sitting there. It's pip size 2".... so all you would need are PVC fittings of 1 1/2" size.. they are schedule 40... so they'll fit quite nicely... I'll have pics of my reservoir up tonight.

fallguy said:
My two favs are the Innovatek Tank-O-Matic, and Aqua-Computer's Aqua Res. The Tank-O-Matic is very easy to fill/empty when placed outside the PC.

The tank-o-matic is/was my fav as well untill the SOB just started to crack for no damn reason...so for $70 bucks I got a paper weight

CrimandEvil said:

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Do a search on acrylic tube. Select Acrylic Tube, 12" length (or whatever length you want), Cast Acrylic. For example, a 12" hollow tube of cast acrylic, with a 2" inner diameter and a thickness of .125" will cost 11.63. Search for acrylic discs at 2-1/4" and pick up two of those (I actually used one for the bottom and have a rubber overcap to seal the top and make is easy to fill). Two hole saw drill bits, some marine goop, and 2 pipe fittings, and you've got a nice completely clear reservoir. Granted it doesn't look very professionally done, but unless you're staring at it from 6 inches or less it looks damn nice It's been running in my system for a little over a year now without a single leak. Loos very cool under UV with the right dye.

One thing I will warn you....unless you have a drill press to drill the holes for the barbs, you might want to pick up 2-3 tubes, as it can be a bitch to drill by hand. Trust me on this.

OR just order one of the Aqua computer res, tig weld 1/2 barbs on it and watch your sprinkler thing break the lexan window. Kidding, but i really tig welded 1/2 barbs on it and if i get water on the ceiling i'll let you guys know. :eek:

Thanks guys! QuicksilverXP, thats rather convenient since I was thinking of using one about 8" anyways. :) Give me a PM later.

thewhiteguy said:
That's too restrictive for a decent 1/2" system.

It isn't if you drill out the ports and retap them for larger barbs, which is what I've done and it is perfect.

Back