Favorite/Least Favorite Collector's Editions

jamesrb

[H]ard|Gawd
Just curious as to what CE's people have purchased, which ones you feel were worth the money, and which ones you did not feel were worth it. I am finding the CE's to be very tempting now, but it is getting expensive since every game has one.

Here is my list -

Worth buying: Starcraft II CE
Not worth it: Resident Evil 5 CE

WIll be buying Gran Turismo 5 CE, borderline on Fallout New Vegas CE.

I have never bought a CE. I guess I'm cheap even for games I'm a diehard fan for.

I've bought many Limited or Collector's Edition versions of games.

Favorite: SC2 CE
Runner-up: The Witcher CE UK
Worst: Quake 4 CE

Last edited:
Best: Oblivion CE
Worst: Quake IV CE

Bethesda's been doing a bang-up job with their CEs lately.

Loved Oblivion's CE but I never actually bought it. Just borrowed it from a friend who had finished it already and moved onto other games.

I used to buy CE for the games that I really wanted, but I've gotten to the point that it's not worth the extra money.

favorite - Ultima IX - Dragon Edition - Still have it complete + the extra update disk
runner up: Fallout 3
Worst: the new Prince of Persia

I think the only CE that I (well, technically my brother) ever bought was for The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. The holographic label on it was soooo cool! (no sarcasm, it really was pretty sweet)

Lamest? Easily Crysis, but I got that one for less than the cost of the normal edition so didn't bother me.

Coolest.. Probably vanilla WoW, although I wish I would have saved it instead of opening it. I can't believe what those sell for now. SC2 is definitely up there as well, I just wish the USB drive would have been a bit bigger than 2GB for the price. Blizzard has always done well with their CE, too bad the box for my Diablo 2 one got trashed.

Sadly, I missed out on the WotLK one, it would look nice on my bookshelf next to the other two, but I wasn't playing when it was released.

The Lunar collector's editions for the PS were both quite nice too.

a friend of mine bought the Oblivion CE, I was pretty impressed by it. He let me take the book home and read it, it just seemed like a really nice touch.

I bet there's always one thing a really good RPG CE had back in the day

cloth maps or those posters you could literally put up on your wall and use to navigate.

Nowadays with everything being dumbed down, you don't need that shit anymore, and it makes some games seem considerably less epic and more ho hum.

Games really need to recapture that spirit of epicness.

Diablo II had a great collectors edition. I also liked BG 2 because it had a nice box for everything.

You know, back in the days when they cared about PC gaming.

I rarely buy CE. I bought SC2, wish I had for each of the WoW releases. I passed on the CE at midnight release of WoW's launch.

My friends and I were excited about Age of Conan, man that was a waste. You can still get that CE for $15 from the Gamer that Goes. I'll stick to buy justing Blizzard ones.

I guess I just see most of them as filled with useless crap. It's sad that now its standard to fill with really big useless crap. Like helmets, boxes, goggles, etc for even more $$.

I think the only CE that I (well, technically my brother) ever bought was for The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. The holographic label on it was soooo cool! (no sarcasm, it really was pretty sweet)

Did Zelda games have CE? I only remember gold cartridges for pre-orders/first editions. I've got gold cartridges for the NES and N64 games.

Collector's Editions?

Baldur's Gate 2, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Bioshock, Bioshock 2, Blaz Blue
Call of Duty 2, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty World at War, Crysis
Deathsmiles, Diablo 2, Dragon Age, Dungeons and Dragons: Stormreach
Elder Scroll's Arena, Elder Scrolls Morrowind, Elder Scrolls Oblivion (PC), Elder Scrolls Oblivion (XBox 360), Espgaluda 2, Everquest 2
Fable 2, Fallout 3, FEAR, Final Fantasy 12
Gears of War, God of War 3, Growlanser Generations, Guild Wars
Half Life 2, Heroes of Might and Magic V
Icewind Dale 2
Lands of Lore, Lunar Silver Star Story Complete, Lunar Eternal Blue Complete
Might and Magic 6
Need for Speed Carbon, Neverwinter Nights 2, Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Ogre Battle
Quake 4
Record of the Agarest War
Sid Meier's Pirates, Street Fighter 4, The Sims 2
Ultima 9 Dragon Edition, Unreal Tournament 2003, Unreal Tournament 3
World of Warcraft
Y's Book 1 & 2 (PC), Y's Oath in Felghana
[Ys 7 Limited Edition is ordered, but won't be shipping just yet]

I probably have several more. These are the only games I have available in my apartment, whereas most of my games are in storage.

Lamest? Probably Call of Duty: World At War. The case and canteen were jokes. Double Experience week was pointless. What else was there? I honestly don't konw.

Best? Not sure. I miss the days where companies like Origin actually gave their normal games, at the normal price, items which would make them CE's today.

I have to say though that the best item was probably Might and Magic 6, with the Holographic CD-ROM. I don't know, I just find it so cool, and no other game seems to have that.

Last edited:
The one and only CE I have bought was Fallout 3 - the lunchbox was just epic and the bobblehead still sits on my desk.

a collectors edition for me has to have something "collectable" in it for it to be worth my time.

StarCraft 2
Halo Reach
Fallout: New Vegas
Little Big Planet 2

these games have something collectable.

The only game I was disappointed in getting a "collectors" edition of was Call of Duty: MW2.
My most favorite collectors editions:

Fallout 3
BioShock 1
StarCraft 2 (nice usb drive included that has some nice weight to it)

Cannot wait for the LBP2:CE with the sackboy plush, Dead Rising 2 with the syringe pen, Fallout New Vegas with gold vault coin and Halo Reach with 10" statue and the DC Universe online Batman statue!

Not to mention a Diablo 3 CE (hasnt been announced yet)

All the Wow releases and SC2 were very cool. I also liked the GTA4 metal box.

I haven't bought one I didn't like. I've always made sure it had something I was interested in before purchase.

I guess Im a cheap bastard. Oblivion has been the only CE Ive owned, and I got it for a bday present.

Crysis was terrible at least here in the US, where we got a standard case instead of a Steelbook case, meaning the extra $10 was effectively for a soundtrack CD. And no, I don't count that little art pamphlet as an "art book" :p

I liked Prey's CE stuff...

Lamest? Easily Crysis, but I got that one for less than the cost of the normal edition so didn't bother me.

Two people already beat me to it. Glad others agree. I returned mine unopened. (and even received more $$$ from the return than what I paid, w00t! bought on sale, credit was for full price...)

Lamest? Probably Call of Duty: World At War. The case and canteen were jokes. Double Experience week was pointless. What else was there? I honestly don't konw.

I thought MW2 (IIRC) having some edition that came with night-vision goggles sounded kinda goofy...

Only CE's I've bought are SC2 and Zelda: TWW with the Master Quest disc. Both were definitely worth it.

Only bought two CE games in the past, so:

"Best": Halo 3 LE.
Bought it because of hype, though I liked the metal case, the Covenant monster guide, and the bonus DVD (even came with it's own HT setup video).

Worst: Splinter Cell: Double Agent.
The sole reason I don't buy collector's editions anymore. Bought it because I was too impatient to wait for BB to restock the vanilla edition (also heard that the vanilla edition had some stupid Chrysler advert on the case. GG Ubisoft). For the extra $10 I paid it was an absolute rip-off. No metal casing, just the good ol' cheap, green plastic case with an extra plastic sleeve that went over the top. Inside there was nothing special other than a bonus dvd that came with some developer clips and concept art -- both which were freely available through the Splinter Cell website at the time.

I generally avoid them because I don't need more crap cluttering up my place...even if it is cool crap a lot of the time. Looking back I wish I would have got the Fallout 3, StarCraft 2, and all the WoW CE's, but I just got the normal versions for all of them.

The only one's I've bought have been Halo 2 and Halo 3 (the middle skew...not the Spartan helmet)...wasn't anything special in either of them but they weren't disappointing either. At the end of the day I just can't justify the extra $$ for CE's. I just struggled with deciding what version of SC2 to get and decided to just get the normal edition. I would have loved to get the CE for SC2 but the cost difference was just too much for me to justify it. I mean, I would have LIKED the extra stuff but I can certainly do a lot more with the extra $40 I saved.

Only CE's I've bought are SC2 and Zelda: TWW with the Master Quest disc. Both were definitely worth it.
Ah, I got the OoT/MQ disc too. I thought that was just a preorder bonus though and not a CE? My TWW case is just a normal case.

The OoT/MQ disc is DEFINITELY worth it though, especially since Wii/Virtual Console wasn't around back then. I've played MQ more times than I can count.

The only CE I own is Blaz Blue and only because it didn't cost any more, they first batch released were all CE's. I rather think this is a better way to do CE's as it promotes early adoption and rewards people who buy early. Anyway, I liked that added content.

If I could have found the Demon's Souls CE I would have bought that.

Only CE I ever bought was the Ultima Online Charter Edition, and that came with a nice cloth map and big lith artwork. Box is huge too, I'm surprised I still kept it after 13 years and many moves.

The Halo Editions with the helmet were pretty sweet looking.

Bioshock was pretty sweet too, as it came with a Big Daddy. :)

I like the WoW CEs though since I like the artwork and the soundtrack they put out for it. My wife always switches up to the new mousepad they always include.

Back