Favorite games you've never actually beaten?

You aren't playing as Big Boss, The real Big Boss never went into a coma, and you play as a body double. Quiet kills herself because you get bit by a snake.
It still annoys me that I knew this at the beginning, but then forgot about it. As for the second part.. Isn't there a mission that negates what you said?

EDIT: Not knew, but suspected something was up.

Xenogears - I get to disk 2 then drop this game.

Dark Souls - I beat Demon's Souls. After that I couldn't put the time into these games that was needed to master them.

Soldier of Fortune. Stuck on a level. Can't remember which one. It's been a long time.

I never finish sand box games like skyrim/gta

I usually stop playing RPGs near the end. I have always wondered why and I have two conclusions.
1. The struggle is over and they try to power you up for the end fight which is boring.
2. I loved the game so much I dont want it to end.

I am surprised I finished all of Mass Effect series. The first one took me three tries.

Thunder Force 4 (Sega Genesis)
Robocop (NES)

Alisia Dragoon (Sega Genesis)
I couldn't ever beat without using cheat codes, but it's the only game on the list that I don't have the privilege of having playing as a kid to get the long term memory / patterns down. It's harder as an adult. (beaten with cheat codes)
Taz Mania (Sega Genesis) is the opposite, I couldn't beat it as a kid. As an adult, all set. (I beat it legit)

Xenogears - I get to disk 2 then drop this game.

Dark Souls - I beat Demon's Souls. After that I couldn't put the time into these games that was needed to master them.

I'd say just beat Xenogears then. Disc 2 is like 5 hours long, and 90% just story. There's very little game remaining.

Thunder Force 4 (Sega Genesis)
Robocop (NES)

Alisia Dragoon (Sega Genesis)
I couldn't ever beat without using cheat codes, but it's the only game on the list that I don't have the privilege of having playing as a kid to get the long term memory / patterns down. It's harder as an adult. (beaten with cheat codes)
Taz Mania (Sega Genesis) is the opposite, I couldn't beat it as a kid. As an adult, all set. (I beat it legit)
Cross Thunder Force 4 and Alisia Dragoon off of that list. ;p
Beat it, then beat it without getting game over, then beat it without dying.
Robocop is up next I guess.

Last edited:
Quake, Quake 2, and Quake 4. Played a shit ton of duels, though.

Quake, Quake 2, and Quake 4. Played a shit ton of duels, though.

Agreed on Quake 1. Got stupefyingly hard on the last level, and asked you to work miracles on almost no ammo. Tried several times and could not bet it.

Agreed on Quake 1. Got stupefyingly hard on the last level, and asked you to work miracles on almost no ammo. Tried several times and could not bet it.

it was nasty without freelook (or having terrible mouse control ) and without quakeworld movement

Ocarina of Time.

Game is just hamstrung by the cartridge format (not enough space for a real 3D adventure game), so they fill it out with pointless walking and tons of tough timer-based mini games, and restarting dungeons over-and-over because you dropped some bratty princess, etc. Later pointless puzzles includes a sliding picture puzzle done at an odd angle (to show off that neato-bandito 3d). This odd angle makes it nearly impossible to finish in the time allowed, so you'll throw the controller at the wall in frustration.

This coming from a guy who beat Windwaker (yes, even slogged through the filler second half), and then beat Twilight Princess. I know what I'm doing in the 3D Zelda universe, but I think Ocarina is the most overrated POS ever.
I think you misunderstood what this thread is about...

I think you misunderstood what this thread is about...

No, I adore the game's early parts. I always start it thinking "I'm going to finish it this time," but it never happens. I get bored beyond belief at some point, sometimes 10-20 hours in. That's not somehting you do with a game you hate eternally.

With most games if you hit a wall on a puzzle, you can just take some down time to think about it. But the highly-random puzzles in Ocarina are different every time, and really just come down to dice rolls. I can do that myself, without ever booting up the game, so no, not exciting. It's just filler.

I do believe this is what the thread is about? I LOVE TO HATE Ocarina. After it sits for awhile, I forget about tall the little annoying things that drive me crazy, and have to re-experience them again.

I would just love it AND BEAT IT, if it didn't have all these issues.

Last edited:
No, I adore the game's early parts. I always start it thinking "I'm going to finish it this time," but it never happens. I get bored beyond belief at some point, sometimes 10-20 hours in.

I do believe this is what the thread is about? I LOVE TO HATE Ocarina. I would just love it AND BEAT IT, if it didn't have all these issues.
I guess. Just seems like your post was nothing but hating, but I understand what you're saying. Majora's Mask actually makes these issues worse, and I guess that is why I never really got into that one. Then again, I absolutely loved Wind Waker and beat that multiple times.

Adding The Revenge of Shinobi to my list.
I've beaten Shinobi 3 and Shadow Dancer (the latter on hard), but not the one I consider to be the standout of the three. ;p

I've only beat Baldur's Gate 2 once, but I've started new games at least a dozen times. Never beat the expansion, much too tedious towards the end.

Train Simulator

Because it's impossible to beat due to bugs and errors in scenarios that preventing you from finishing them. I hate the fact that there is no alternative to the game. The developers in charge are lazy selfish cunts, who make you pay the full price of the game every year over and over again. The DLC prices are ridicilous, and the quality of DLCs range from utter crap to excellent. (Their in house DLCs are right in the middle of the spectrum) but they sell dlcs from 3rd party contributors under their own name with absolutely no indication to who actually made the DLC you're looking at. So it's always a risk. They sell content with the production quality of a polished turd and still charge half the cost of an AAA title for it.
And the worst is that they have a small army of devoted shills, who jump at the slightest indication of critique. And troll the discussion into oblivion. Even though I used to enjoy the game. I hate the guts of the developers and their shills. And I probably never gonna finish the game.

I never finish sand box games like skyrim/gta

I usually stop playing RPGs near the end. I have always wondered why and I have two conclusions.
1. The struggle is over and they try to power you up for the end fight which is boring.
2. I loved the game so much I dont want it to end.

I am surprised I finished all of Mass Effect series. The first one took me three tries.
I usually finish rpgs once, but can'T do it more than once. Because on the second play trough I start thinking about my next character almost right after the start. So I end up starting the game quadzillion times, but never progress past 15-20% in the game. It was like that with oblivion, skyrim, fallout3, falloutNV, fallout4, DA:I, DA:O, and so on.
And to some degree with mass effect too, but I still finished that about a 5 times, with at least 3 unfinished attempts for every finished one.

Super mario 1 and 3 on NES
All favorite games on PC I've completed. Even went back to complete my favorite dos games

oh and FFXI if you count i MMMORPG's :D

Shadowrun for SNES. It's my favorite game of all time, never beat it. Probably played from beginning to pretty close to the end like 5 or 6 times, but never made it all the way through.

No, I adore the game's early parts. I always start it thinking "I'm going to finish it this time," but it never happens. I get bored beyond belief at some point, sometimes 10-20 hours in. That's not somehting you do with a game you hate eternally.

With most games if you hit a wall on a puzzle, you can just take some down time to think about it. But the highly-random puzzles in Ocarina are different every time, and really just come down to dice rolls. I can do that myself, without ever booting up the game, so no, not exciting. It's just filler.

I do believe this is what the thread is about? I LOVE TO HATE Ocarina. After it sits for awhile, I forget about tall the little annoying things that drive me crazy, and have to re-experience them again.

I would just love it AND BEAT IT, if it didn't have all these issues.
I fully agree with you on this, the way the levels and dungeons work, the save system, etc. I have it on my 3DS, and I have got as far as Jabu Jabu's belly, with a lot of online help and at least 7 hours put into it so far. It's not as if I hate slogging through these older games, I managed to punch through almost all of the Star Wars FPS games, without much help (except for occasional assistance from a friend), despite all of the puzzle solving nonsense older FPS games seemed to have an abundance of.

Somehow, I just could not put up with Ocarina of Time, and I love what I have played so far. I do not believe I will ever finish this game.

Skyrim, Oblivion,
Fallout 2
Prototype 2 (getting through it now)
Uplink (getting through this one too)
Arkam (everything) - so much to do
Alan Wake
Thief (new and old ones)
DMC (new one for pc)
Dishonored - couldn't get over the crappy graphics
Assassin's creed black flag (lots of fun, just way too much to do and I lost a save which buggered it for me).
Crysis 3 - again lost a save, buggered it for me.

ChronoDetector - Shadow of Mordor is worth completing.

Up until recently, the original Tomb Raider games. I picked up a Shield tablet last year and got TR1 and TR2 on a deal in the Play Store and eventually got around to playing through them. Thank god for Youtube now to help you through some parts, hah. The game wasn't hard to figure out, the hard part was overlooking a damn switch or object somewhere because the textures were so bad and low res, it's hard to see them in the first place. Fortunately the Android versions smoothed the textures out a lot and I think added some much needed AA to the game.

I never finish most of the games I own, since I get bored of them after a while and have something new to play. It takes a really good game usually to convince me to play all of it to the end.

Games I *really* liked and didn't finish was pretty small. I've given up on a lot of "meh" games.

Witcher 3... I'm about 50% done. It's my go-to in down times.
Ninja Gaiden / 2 / Sigma... UGH! Fuckingfuck. Love them, but always get to a point where no matter how I try, cannot get by a boss / encounter.
Fallout 4 DLC (main quest done, however).

Geez this is a hard one to answer, as I beat every game I can.

Off the top of my head:

Shadow of Mordor
Final Fantasy VII (always lost my save before finishing)
Gravity Rush
Far Cry Blood Dragon

NES
Legend of Zelda
Silkworm

SNES
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Earthworm Jim 2
Super R-Type

N64
Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time (Gotten to the Water Temple Twice and then just stopped playing. Haven't played Majora's Mask either).

Gamecube
Metroid Prime 2 (I owned it, got to the last boss at 100% complete, and basically rage quit).

Wii
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2

PS1
Xenogears

PS2
Metal Gear Solid 3

PS3
Batman Arkham Asylum
Batman Arkham City
Metal Gear Solid 4

PS4
Metal Gear Solid 5

There are certain series of games that I've never played but have had a peripheral interest in. Such as the Assassins Creed series of games. Would probably enjoy playing through 1-2 (despite being slower and more clunky supposedly). Rather than the newer over the top iterations of the series.
Maybe at some point I'll buy a PS3 and catchup on that stuff. Haven't played basically any titles on it, including The Last of Us.

Last edited:
When I was in high school my friends and I challenged each other, it was to finish all the Final Fantasy games (out at that time, FF1 - 10 including Tactics ) before the others, well I was the one to win and it felt pretty good. I was already a fan of final fantasy games because my parents played them a lot, even at 27 years old I try to buy and finish all the new FF titles.

Back