Favorite Feature(s) in Win7?

iGamer

[H]ard|Gawd
What is yours..

one of my most favorite features while it is minor, is the "stick to taskbar" option when right clicking an app. Sometimes even the smallest features are some of the best, like the slim button to the right of the clock and date on the task bar that minimizes all your windows and shows the desktop.

Win7 > Mac ( Gaming wise at least )

New taskbar

Hands down

2nd:

grouped icons in the taskbar (although I find myself not sure to click right or left on apps there now).

3rd: new explorer. Works great. Wish I could reorganize the layout a bit (computer above Libraries, etc) but it's pretty good.

I don't like the new show desktop tab on the far right. I am VERY used to it on the left in the quicklaunch. I'm constantly mousing over to click where it's not. That said thanks to Aero Peek I use it a lot less than I used to.

I hate to say it but I like the shake app. Just shake a window and everything else minimizes. It's fun and it makes me focus on 1 app.

I really like the show desktop button in the task bar...Oh and the new right click menu in the task bar, I just like everything about the task bar....Did I mention the task bar?

I hate to say it but I like the shake app. Just shake a window and everything else minimizes. It's fun and it makes me focus on 1 app.

That and dragging near top edge of screen = maximize the window, I also like that it has TRIM support for my SSD :). Oh, and I guess it's not technically a feature, but the $99 price on newegg for the full version of Home Premium Win7 is pretty darn good :p .

New taskbar

Hands down

2nd:

grouped icons in the taskbar (although I find myself not sure to click right or left on apps there now).

3rd: new explorer. Works great. Wish I could reorganize the layout a bit (computer above Libraries, etc) but it's pretty good.

This.

Home Group. It's the primary reason I made the switch, because I was perfectly happy with vista.

1) Improved media center with cablecard support on ANY hardware!
2) Improved digital ink
3) Multi-touch

no AutoRun option for USB flash drives
quick preview in the font icon when displayed in Large Icon View
remembers the folder view type permanently
indexing is better than Vista
that little resizing thing in the bottom right corner in MS Paint is bigger
very fast disk defragmentation
not a fan of the new taskbar but it’s ok, the “close” option in the jump list when right clicking a window in the taskbar is a little far
Mac what! McDonald's? :D

OH!

I forgot the best thing of all. This was the FIRST time, I have EVER installed a Windows OS...and I was able to immediately open a web browser and be online, finally....it's able to install it's own god damn drivers!

I forgot the best thing of all. This was the FIRST time, I have EVER installed a Windows OS...and I was able to immediately open a web browser and be online, finally....it's able to install it's own god damn drivers!

Welcome to 3 years ago. You must've skipped Vista!

:D

Libraries
I love being able to add multiple folders from multiple drive sinto these and access from one place as if all same directory, very cool.

Backup
The full system image is working great, the other mode for incremental data where we can go back to selecting specific folders instead of restricted to only vague categories like in Vista is also great.

Taskbar
I love pinning important things to it, the reduced size, reduced clutter of having just the program icon.

MSE
Though that isn't 7 exclusive, launched right here around the same time, MS is on a roll IMO.

Libraries
Media Center
Taskbar
Aero Snap
Device Stage

and plenty of other things as well. Overall Windows 7 is just flat out badass.

task bar, love the grouping and the preview.
Also love how the windows auto adjust size when you throw two side by side. (dont know if thats new)
and i can drag tabs off firefox and it automatically creates a new window.

i disabled aero.

i hate when it auto-disables (screen flashes and theme goes back to basic) when i run/watch a video in media player classic.

i love the new superbar. win7 is wonderful to use.

The new taskbar and window management features are fantastic. I generally skipped Vista for day to day use, although I supported it.

1. New GDI stack for improved window memory management/efficiency
2. Speed, this one doesn't require any new hardware even though codebase is bigger
3. The service invoke manager, turns service you don't need on and off as you need them for memory
4. Multi-CPU enhancements & 64bit support
5. Taskbar and UI in general finally no more old icons
6. Aero Snap!

i disabled aero.

i hate when it auto-disables (screen flashes and theme goes back to basic) when i run/watch a video in media player classic.

i love the new superbar. win7 is wonderful to use.

You're using the wrong Media Player Classic. Mine doesn't do that. You need to get the newest version of MPC-HC and you won't have problems with Aero.

Back on topic, I also love libraries. I used to move My Documents to a different drive on XP for backing up/reinstall purposes. Now, all I need to do is add the folder to the "Docs" library, set it as default save, and move my documents there. No more messing around with Computer Management or registry hacks!

Just out of curiosity, do you actually utilize any of these features?

I personally find the Media Center very useful, and in fact it is the main reason I am updating from XP. With that said, I don't know how much of an improvement it is from Vista. I've never used Media Center on Vista. I have had problems with any live TV software on XP (TotalMedia 3.5 works, but the guide doesn't work and it cannot find all the channels. SageTV isn't compatible with my tuner card, etc). 7MC is great, though, for my purposes! Huge improvement over anything available for XP. Nice interface and features.

I like all the UI tweaks that make things slicker like the windows key + left, right, up or down and the maximize in both directions when you hit the edge of the screen when changing window shape. All just a nice little thing that I adapted to instantly but get annoyed at work when they don't work in XP.

But the absolute top thing is media center just plain working for everything now, no codecs etc. Pissed me off to no end in vista that something plays fine in media player (not classic, the 11 or whatever) but not work at all in media center.

I miss the whole repair install option though. I think I just need to learn the new tools.

I miss the whole repair install option though. I think I just need to learn the new tools.

If your win7 is bootable you can simply launch the install from Win7 and do a upgrade install and that will do it.

Not sure how to handle if it's not bootable though.

If your win7 is bootable you can simply launch the install from Win7 and do a upgrade install and that will do it.

Not sure how to handle if it's not bootable though.

Exactly. I recently disabled RAID when using win7eval7100 which rendered it unbootable. Boots only when RAID is enabled. Didn't matter if I removed the intel driver in the OS first or not. In XP I would repair install, no idea how to fix in vista or 7.

Exactly. I recently disabled RAID when using win7eval7100 which rendered it unbootable. Boots only when RAID is enabled. Didn't matter if I removed the intel driver in the OS first or not. In XP I would repair install, no idea how to fix in vista or 7.

You can download a repair disc here

Thread is skewing off subject, sorry about that.

That is a really good link though for those that bought a big box and didn't get media. I want to know why those don't come straight from microsoft though, not some torrent from an on line blog. Must be that would help the warez community too much they are thinking.

I do have the media though, I tried the auto diagnosis which said it found something and couldn't help me. I just don't know how to use the more advanced manual stuff. Keep in mind this is the eval 7100, not RTM.

Back