Favorite adventure game

Ah, the good old days. Gabriel Knight 1 might have been my favorite. I'll give honorable mentions to King's Quest 5 (the VGA graphics were great at the time) and the cd-rom version of Loom - they put their creativity hats on for that one.

I guess this depends on the definition of Adventure game:

Pure:
Secret of Monkey Island I/II
Full Throttle
Day of the Tentacle
Dark Seed
Myst

Mixed:
Star Control II
Battletech
Wing Commander/Privateer series.

Never did play the Zork games, but I imagine that has to be pretty high on some people's lists

I was a big fan of Kings Quest series and Space Quest series. My favorite might be Quest for Glory series. The mix of RPG and Adventure was brilliant to me.

Hard to pick a bad LucasArts adventure game. Many of them are so good!

Last edited:
I guess this depends on the definition of Adventure game:

Pure:
Secret of Monkey Island I/II
Full Throttle
Day of the Tentacle
Dark Seed
Myst

Mixed:
Star Control II
Battletech
Wing Commander/Privateer series.

Never did play the Zork games, but I imagine that has to be pretty high on some people's lists

What I define as classic adventure are the King's Quests, Kyrandias, Mysts, Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry and the like

Star Control II is on my list as the greatest PC game of all time. No other game have I gone back to play more the SC2. Or as the revamped version is called, The Ur-Quan Masters HD

What I define as classic adventure are the King's Quests, Kyrandias, Mysts, Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry and the like

Star Control II is on my list as the greatest PC game of all time. No other game have I gone back to play more the SC2. Or as the revamped version is called, The Ur-Quan Masters HD

For me, the Secret of Monkey Island series was the best. I still don't think there is any greater dev joke than the rubber tree from an adventure game in that era.

For me, the Secret of Monkey Island series was the best. I still don't think there is any greater dev joke than the rubber tree from an adventure game in that era.
The Secret of Monkey Island series is one that never crossed my path. I'll try it out. Thank goodness for gog.com. Same with Full Throttle and Day of the Tentacle. Didn't those recently have an HD revamp?

The Secret of Monkey Island series is one that never crossed my path. I'll try it out. Thank goodness for gog.com. Same with Full Throttle and Day of the Tentacle. Didn't those recently have an HD revamp?

Secrete of Monkey Island has a version on Steam I think you can get. I haven't played that one, I am not sure if it is just a remastered version or new series. Something led me to believe it was a remake/slightly different series and not just a remaster. I haven't looked into the HD versions of FT or DoT either. But this thread as made me think about pulling those back out. I had started to do the UrQuan masters again not too long ago. I have played through Star Control 2 quite a few times though.

The Great Underground Empire... I loved the Zork series along with other Infocom games like Sorcerer, Starcross, Infidel and so many more.

Fate of Atlantis is my all time favorite. Honorable Mentions are :

Secret of Money Island 2
Quest for Glory 4
Kings Quest 6
Day of the Tentacle

Full Throttle
The Dig
Legend of Kyrandia - I just loved the visual style of this game, even on EGA. The greens were never so green since.
Goblins

Tough to call a clear #1 here, but some of the contenders would be:

Loom
Kings Quest 3 (my first KQ game, kinda have a soft spot for it)
Any Hero's Quest (do these count?)
Longest Journey (may be a bit late for this list, dunno)

Full Throttle
The Dig
Legend of Kyrandia - I just loved the visual style of this game, even on EGA. The greens were never so green since.
Goblins

Ahhh thanks, forgot to put Kyrandia 2 on my Honorable mentions.

I'm a huge adventure game fan (my fav. genre), and own practically every Sierra adventure game ever made. (I own a copy of every Sierra game pre 1995 sans Ultima: Escape From Mount Drash).

That said, it's hard to choose, but I'd guess my favorites would be:

Quest for Glory 2
Deadline
The Colonel's Bequest
King's Quest V
Secret of Monkey Island
Discworld

At the same time though, the game I hate most in the world, and yes, I will think less of you if you like it, is Myst. I despise Myst.

I don't know if Little big adventure counts. It is perhaps not a classical adventure game.

Grim Fandango is one of the most creative and beautifully crafted adventure games of all time. Tim Schafer is a genius!

I was never huge on this genre (most of them didn't really hook me,) but I loved Full Throttle from start to finish.

I never played the Quest for Glory series but all the other old Sierra games as well as the Monkey Island games were great.

My favorite was the Robin Hood game Conquests of the Longbow. It was one of the first VGA Sierra games that used a cursor instead typing everything so purists often hate it for that but I thought it was an improvement over the whole guess a verb/noun game.

Secrete of Monkey Island has a version on Steam I think you can get. I haven't played that one, I am not sure if it is just a remastered version or new series. Something led me to believe it was a remake/slightly different series and not just a remaster. I haven't looked into the HD versions of FT or DoT either. But this thread as made me think about pulling those back out. I had started to do the UrQuan masters again not too long ago. I have played through Star Control 2 quite a few times though.

They did both, they remastered the original 2 games and did some sort of episodic sequel but I don't recall the specifics. The remastered editions are cool because you can switch between the original and remastered versions on the fly with a hotkey.

I would also say Sanitarium is worth a look. The area with the deformed kids is creepy and also has some really creepy music.

The Secret of Monkey Island Remasters were hit and miss, because of the graphics. It's the same game, but there were significant changes to the graphics. Because of limitations to digital music, there were a few changes there too, but that's not really that big of a deal, because you're only missing musical transitions. But if you liked the new art style, it was probably great. If you didn't, the game looked fairly ugly.

The other Lucas Arts remakes, but Double Fine, are gawd-awful. Yeah, they chose decent games to remaster (Grim Fandango, Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle), but the "remaster" was beyond lazy. It looks like they ran the games through Adobe Illustrator (or some other vectorization program), digitally recorded the MIDI music from a Roland Sound Canvas, and called it a day. Basically, if you had a Roland Sound Canvas, the original game looks and sounds pretty much the same.

The Leisure Suit Larry remake/remaster, Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded, and the Gabriel Knight 1 remake/remaster, were more proper ways of how to remaster a game. They weren't lazy like Double Fine remasters, but still feel like the same art style, unlike the Secret of Monkey Island remasters.

Either the first Broken Sword or The Dig. There are more "fun" games, but there are selective moments within these two that make them incredibly worthwhile games for me. A moment of intensity that is missing in most games.

Preferable if you can use Roland MT-32 for these old sierra games, some great sound! I bought a used one for a bargain. You need a soundcard with a MIDI port (most vintage soundcards have this) OR something like a usb->midi adapter. 25 pin.
General Midi games probably sound better on a sound canavs.

Top two:
Police Quest 1
Kings Quest 3

Close behind:
PQ2 (nice sequel to the original, 3 was OK but the first two were best)
KQ 4, 5, 1, 2 (loosely in that order)
Leisure suit Larry 3
Space Quest 1
Conquest of Camelot (great game)
Secret of Monkey Island (love the insults during the sword fight)
Day of the Tentacle (CD version with speech)
Indian Jones Last Crusade (yeah you get to punch hitler in the face! save first as your game ends abruptly!)
The Colonel's Bequest

Back