Faulty board or CPU?

I currently have a Xeon E5- 2687w and a Gigabyte GA-X79S-UP5 and currently have an issue with either the board itself, or possibly a faulty CPU. The board keeps going through an infinite boot loop and refuses to POST, or either it does POST, but will restart itself after displaying the splash screen. I have already swapped the RAM kits, changed the power supply and used a different GPU but produces the same result. So does anybody know what is causing the problem? I have nailed it down to either the board itself has gone bad or the CPU itself.

If it can get to the splash screen, chances are the CPU is fine. It's possible you somehow have a corrupt bios. There should be a backup bios switch on the board, have you tried activating it?

The switch is the blue/green switch on the back panel.

Tried that, same result. Most of the time it won't even POST at all, it keeps going through a boot loop.

Without any spare parts, there's really not that much troubleshooting you can do to narrow it down. My guess is that since it can get to the splash screen, the CPU is fine. Also, motherboards are much more prone to premature failures than CPUs are, historically speaking. Then again, the CPU can be the culprit. You never know, electronics, especially computers, can interact in very weird ways.

My first culprit would be ram on a intermittent post issue.

this can be possible but he swapped it...

also the OP, have you receive any beep sound?.. normally beep sounds tell you where are the failure... or leds that show where its the failure.. aside as far i know that mobo have dual BIOS right also a clear CMOS button.. you presed it and checked dual bios?.

this can be possible but he swapped it...

also the OP, have you receive any beep sound?.. normally beep sounds tell you where are the failure... or leds that show where its the failure.. aside as far i know that mobo have dual BIOS right also a clear CMOS button.. you presed it and checked dual bios?.

Indeed, but I've had situations where a particular brand or kit just won't work. We have a hell of a time getting Corsair memory to work on our IVB builds here, but not a single problem if we use Kingston. I repeat, an incomplete and random failure post would point me right to ram.

Indeed, but I've had situations where a particular brand or kit just won't work. We have a hell of a time getting Corsair memory to work on our IVB builds here, but not a single problem if we use Kingston. I repeat, an incomplete and random failure post would point me right to ram.

yeah thats why i love to use kingston hyper X. but in this case no beeps or leds?.. if not i can agree that its a mobo failure...

I used G.Skill Ripjaws and Corsair Vengeance RAM and its not posting, or it does it just keeps restarting and going through an infinite boot loop.

John,
You've tried the most common solutions.

I think the last steps before RMA are:

-Removing the CPU, inspecting the socket, reseat, reapply grease, HSK and retest
-Ensure the board is not grounding itself in any way to the case
-Replace batt on MB

Sucks man. We all feel for you.

looking a the issue, it may be best to RMA the board. I have fought the same issue in the past and found the board to be bad.

Back