Father in law needs xbox 360. Where to get cheap! HELP!XMAS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dborden

Limp Gawd
My father in law is a hard care gamer @ age 56. I think that is the coolest thing ever being a hardcore gamer myself and only 26. Most of his friends are in their 30s. Unfortunately he does not have a lot of money and neither do I. He just got an xbox classic last year for christmas used. Sadly it was at the end of it's life and all of his friends now have upgraded to 360s and he is stuck not able to play online with his friends again. Major depression regarding this situation has ensued.... :) I understand what he is going through and I tried everything in my power yesturday to snag one of those Amazon.com xbox 360 core systems for 100 bucks. Unfortunately I was unsuccessful. Now I feel terrible as well.

I really wanna get my pop in law an xbox 360 so he can game with his friends again instead of just going over to their house and watching from afar....

Does anyone know of any great deals on xbox 360 core or premium? Only LEGIT deals. Nothing illegal or bunk(like signing up to become a spam target and gettting 50 other people to do the same in hopes some company will send you one for free. Between myself and my wife, my sister in law and her husband, and my pop in law's wife we can only come up with about 200 bucks.

I am calling on all you fellow proud gamers/geeks/OCers to help me with ideas!!!! I would prefer ideas or links to spectacular deals like the amazon.com deal yesturday!!!

Thanks in advance.... Hoping for some great ideas cause you guys ROCK!

Merry Christmas,

David

While I don't think you'll get any donations you might get some suggestions...

The first would be to try out Microcenter - they are running a special promotion right now

$100 off premium or core

Making the respective prices 300 and 200.....however you'd still have to cough up the dough upfront cause the 100 is in the form up a rebate.

Then there's the overstock deal - which is a 12% off coupon
Then there's the Buy.com deal - which is $340 for a premium - check out the hot deals forum for these threads.

If the guy wants an xbox360 so much let him pitch in as well. Even somebody on social security could have saved up for an xbox360 by now if they put away 50 dollars a month last year.

50x12 = 600 bucks....He'd have the system and a couple brand new games at this point.

Guess it depends on how bad he wants it.

Help him sell his original xbox stuff on ebay and there's another 75 bucks towards your goal.

Microcenter has a $100 rebate on the 360. But you need to go to their B&M for the deal.

Overstock.com also has a good deal if you click through fatwallet - 10% overstock coupon + 6% cashback through fatwallet.

Archaea said:
While I don't think you'll get any donations you might get some suggestions...

The first would be to try out Microcenter - they are running a special promotion right now

$100 off premium or core

Making the respective prices 300 and 200.....however you'd still have to cough up the dough upfront cause the 100 is in the form up a rebate.

Then there's the overstock deal - which is a 12% off coupon
Then there's the Buy.com deal - which is $340 for a premium - check out the hot deals forum for these threads.

If the guy wants an xbox360 so much let him pitch in as well. Even somebody on social security could have saved up for an xbox360 by now if they put away 50 dollars a month last year.

50x12 = 600 bucks....He'd have the system and a couple brand new games at this point.

Guess it depends on how bad he wants it.

Help him sell his original xbox stuff on ebay and there's another 75 bucks towards your goal.

Thank you. All great suggestions. Unfortunately there are no microcenters in wisconsin though. I am looking in to some of these other deals.

Unfortunately he is still working part time only in a Jewelry store because he injured has back many years ago and cannot work any other job for the most part. His wife works and controls the money and us married folk all know how that goes!!! :)

I hate to be a dick.... but is it just me or is it disturbing when people setup "paypal donations" for a luxury item? If you want something work for it and if he wants something that you can't afford to give him then have him work for it. It appears to be a web2.0 trend to beg for money online to purchase luxury items. Don't get me wrong I'm all for donations but come on....to help a 50 year old man purchase a 360... please lets be real

No offense (ok maybe a little) but I don't even have a 360 for myself...so unless its to cure cancer or something...I won't be donating...

I think a 56 year old should be able to afford his own 360 though...

I agree with the above post which has compelled me to post one more comment. I would expect this type of post from a child or maybe even a teenager.... but dude come on your 26!!! Time for a wake up call! The world has much larger issues than trying to come up with enough scratch to purchase your "pop" a 360. lol you have officially pissed me off now.

Steve_010 said:
No offense (ok maybe a little) but I don't even have a 360 for myself...so unless its to cure cancer or something...I won't be donating...

I think a 56 year old should be able to afford his own 360 though...

Look I'm not begging for donations. As I said in the original post I am mostly just looking for links or tips on sweet deals because I missed out on the Amazon.com deal yesturday to all the ebay scalpers.

As I said we already have about 200 bucks in the kitty and every little bit helps. Believe it or not SOME PEOPLE actually like to throw in 50 cents or a buck to things like this. I've done it many times myself. I've never done something like this before and figured WHY NOT. If you don't want to make a donation then DONT. Offer up some tips on some deals if you know of any. At the very least please don't crap all over my thread...

dborden said:
Offer up some tips on some deals if you know of any. At the very least please don't crap all over my thread...
You can probably get a used one on ebay for $350 insteal of $400. That'd save you at least $50 bones...

You'd have to pay shipping but at least there wouldn't be any tax...

totally agree with you guys ... hell , im an hardcore gamer and i decided to wait before getting a WII especially because i need to pay for other stuff like christmas gift and such...

but i have a problem with all this ''my girlfriend wont let me buy game ''. Are they mental or what? if you really like that and she knows it ... and you do not let her aside for gaming , she wont care if you buys a billion game...

sorry just a little rant..

my point has been made, my work here is done :D

o btw dell has a coupon code for 35% of electronics (they have 360s)

Coupon code: 5085GXGPWJB1WH ...kidding

Well, I don't know if anyone else noticed your sig...

Core 2 Duo E6400 | GA-965P-DS3 | G.SKILL PC6400 DDR2 800 4,4,4,12 | Creative XFI Fatality | Thermaltake Armor VA8000BWS | EVGA 7950GX2 @ 1400/550 | WD Raptor 10k RPM 150GB | WD SE16 500GB | OCZ OCZ600ADJSLI PSU | 2 x ND-3550A NEC DVD/RW 16x | Razer Diamondback Plasma | Dell 2407 Widescreen | 1M Pi 19.1s | 3DMark2006 Score: 9558

If you cannot afford a 360 and need donations how can you justify having a 24inch WS monitor? or high end computer parts? Downgrade your own computer to get some money to buy your unnecesary item.I'm sure some people here will help you with that. I could see donations maybe if you needed baby food for your starving kids, but a 360...

ouch man ----

yeap --- that just screwed the pooch.

At this point you might just be better off deleting your request for paypal donations or letting the thread die before it descends to utter chaos.......

my own little joke/jibe here - What's your day job? A Politician or an Evangelical TV preacher?

No hard feelings man - just sorta makes me smile.

The internet forum community is like a bunch of hyena's - sly around in the shadows until they find a weak point and then attack in mass!

you gotta kinda smile at this yourself bro! But good luck on the search and purchase!

Seanmounce said:

If you cannot afford a 360 and need donations how can you justify having a 24inch WS monitor? or high end computer parts? Downgrade your own computer to get some money to buy your unnecesary item.I'm sure some people here will help you with that. I could see donations maybe if you needed baby food for your starving kids, but a 360...
His sound card alone makes up the difference between his "kitty" and a 360 Premium.

His video card? A 7950GX2 and he's basically asking for donations to help him buy a 360? Wow, I'm so filled with pity. I might sell my 6800GS just to help him out.

Seanmounce said:

lol I noticed that also but I have already been such an asshole that I figured I would omit that little treasure and wait for someone else to uncover the facts. Good work lol

Seanmounce said:

Ya know, some of you people really need to work on your reading comprehension skills....

"I am calling on all you fellow proud gamers/geeks/OCers to help me with ideas!!!!"

and
"...however I would prefer ideas or links to spectacular deals like the amazon.com deal yesturday!!!"

The OP was NOT BEGGING for donations and cash. The overall jist of the post was to collect some suggestions and ideas for deals on xbox 360s. I hereby recind my single lone comment about accepting donations hoping that the dicks will leave this thread. However please continue to feel free to post and hot deals for xbox 360s that you know of. Couple of good ones so far.

21 posts out of 22 views

It looks like most everyone has something to say about this one :)

Don't really like the donation thing but I can certainly overlook it. :) Worst comes to worst if you care that much you can get some casual work on the weekend. There's loads of it about coming up to xmas and it won't take long to earn enough to get a 360.

It's what I did when I was young and really wanted to get prezzies for people.

You're obviously well off enough to afford a $2000 computer. Surely you can do a few searches and find the deals yourself.

I think it's pathetic to use the pity card to get everyone else to help you save your precious pennies, of which you obviously have very many.

If you had simply asked for ways to save money on a 360 and not tried to guilt trip us into helping you, especially when the guilt trip was so disingenuous, I'm sure you would have found the forum more receptive.

I knew this thread wasn't going to go very far when I first posted...but now it's really going to go downhill...and fast...

I'm just glad I could see it in action :)

Steve_010 said:
I knew this thread wasn't going to go very far when I first posted...but now it's really going to go downhill...and fast...

I'm just glad I could see it in action :)

I have removed the single lone statement referring to being willing to take a donation so that my main point(collecting sweet deals) can come across more clearly. I hope this will allow this thread to stay clean from hear on out.

Step 1: Sell the original XBox

Total in "kitty": $300

Step 2: Downgrade your sound card.

Total in "kitty": $350

Step 3: Buy a used XBox 360 off eBay.

Done.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Seanmounce said:

Maybe his sig is all a lie? Seem's like one heck a PC to be using to beg with doesn't it?

First off, no offense dborden.

Now, guys... don't give this guy any donations. Check out his PS3 @ http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1123203

Ohhh wait he has/had TWO PS3 bundles: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1121954

Apparently he does have a 2407. http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1116120

Aww, he missed the eVGA step-up by 10 days for the 8800GTX. Maybe that's what he wants - not a xbox 360 for his father in law.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1030185854#post1030185854

Not to mention the computer in his signature.

And he doesn't have the money? eh?

Also, curious why you are referring to yourself in the 3rd person here:...? ("The OP was NOT ...") Made me laugh.

dborden said:
Ya know, some of you people really need to work on your reading comprehension skills....

"I am calling on all you fellow proud gamers/geeks/OCers to help me with ideas!!!!"

and
"...however I would prefer ideas or links to spectacular deals like the amazon.com deal yesturday!!!"

The OP was NOT BEGGING for donations and cash. The overall jist of the post was to collect some suggestions and ideas for deals on xbox 360s. I hereby recind my single lone comment about accepting donations hoping that the dicks will leave this thread. However please continue to feel free to post and hot deals for xbox 360s that you know of. Couple of good ones so far.

Basically, this guy doesn't need donations. I wonder why he asked in the first place. But hey, what the hell - it's worth a shot! heh.

Sorry to hate on you dborden, but IMO you deserve it for just attempting to receive donations. You clearly do not need any money, if you did - sell some of your stuff (PS3's, downgrade your computer, etc etc). Looks like you care more about your personal stuff than what your father in law has.

LOL, I would be so embarrased of myself if I got caught at something like this. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back