Fastest way to deploy software through the network without Active Directory

rlee

Gawd
Any ideas? The only one I can think of is, have a public share on one of the servers with the software installation files on it, but someone will have to execute that software installer from the client machines, but that could get tedious.

SMS...

If you want free... I'd say try a logon script which launches the installer. That is of course assuming the installer can be launched with switches and/or a unattended file so the user will not have to enter anything. If the users have admin rights then this shouldn't be a problem... if they do not have admin rights then you will need to run the installer as one via the script.

The script could also check for a file or path before proceeding with the install; this way you won't call the installer each time the user logs in, it will only execute if that file/path does not exist.

Orinthical said:
SMS...

If you want free... I'd say try a logon script which launches the installer. That is of course assuming the installer can be launched with switches and/or a unattended file so the user will not have to enter anything. If the users have admin rights then this shouldn't be a problem... if they do not have admin rights then you will need to run the installer as one via the script.

The script could also check for a file or path before proceeding with the install; this way you won't call the installer each time the user logs in, it will only execute if that file/path does not exist.

using a logon script would require me to go to each machine to update it with a logon script, in this case i might as well just launch the installer when im at the machine, no?

Back