Fastest way to backup or clone old drive to new (painfully slow)

dpoverlord

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys I have WD Red 4tb drive and need to back it up and transfer it to the new WD Red Pro 4tb drive.

I used Hirens boot disk loaded a win 7 environment and used ghost. I probably should have used does instead (oops) but either way it says it will take 12hrs to clone the disk.

Am I missing something? I have 3 more drives to do, that's going to be 48 hr's without the computer.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG-20160303-WA0001.jpeg
    IMG-20160303-WA0001.jpeg
    165.9 KB · Views: 54
Hey guys I have WD Red 4tb drive and need to back it up and transfer it to the new WD Red Pro 4tb drive.
... either way it says it will take 12hrs to clone the disk.

How full are the drives? From the screenshot Ghost appears to be doing an intelligent copy and not a blind sector-by-sector copy.

At an average read speed of say ~100 MB/sec, 4,000,000 MB will take 40,000 seconds, or slightly more than 11 hours. So yes, 12 hours is fair.

Unless there was significant free space on the drives, there's no real way to speed it up significantly. If these are not boot drives, you may as well just "clone" them in Windows -- use a tool like FastCopy to copy everything over. It may be slightly faster because of better caching.

I guess that makes sense for my 4tb (about 3 1/2 tb fukl) .

Was just hoping of a faster delivery :)

Back