Fastest M.2 for Asus Rampage V Extreme X99

dpoverlord

[H]ard|Gawd
I personally was waiting for a 4tb NVMe before I bought one as my current setup 'feels' fast.

However, I'm really drawn to the current crop. Does anyone know if the newer 4.0 lane drives would work on my mobo?

I have been leaning Samsung but I've been a bit amazed that Inland and Sabrent Rocket PCIe 4.0 2tb seem to be better.

Any thoughts? I'm down for waiting and not in a rush but prices seem to be too good to be true. My worry is then I'll want multiple and have my games, OS, and everything on them.

Intel's Rocket Lake will match AMD Ryzen chips' PCIe 4.0 support but that's not out yet so not sure that Sabrent Rocket PCIe 4.0 will help. These are usually backwards compatible (you'll have to double check) but then you're paying extra for performance you can't use. Best stick to a PCIe 3.0 SSD. Any decent last gen SSD from a good brand will do as it's mature technology by now. But if you're impatient and want something fast, then upgrade to Ryzen and get a 2nd wave PCIe 4.0 SSD like the 2TB WD Black SN850 or the Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus or Samsung 980 Pro...

The current drives are backwards compatible but you will see zero benefit on your board as it's only gen. 3.
The rest of you guys are missing the core question from OP...

The current drives are backwards compatible but you will see zero benefit on your board as it's only gen. 3.
The rest of you guys are missing the core question from OP...
Thanks, that's exactly what I was trying to figure out. So if I did get gem 4 it would be to get a new mobo but I'm not doing that anytime soon as my X99 + 3090 seems to be killing it

Thanks, that's exactly what I was trying to figure out. So if I did get gem 4 it would be to get a new mobo but I'm not doing that anytime soon as my X99 + 3090 seems to be killing it
Correct. Real world, unless you're doing a LOT of regular data transfers or the like (video 8k encodes), you won't see a real difference. Gaming there's almost ZERO difference even in load times - files aren't large enough to saturate the bus, you hit limits in filesystem performance first.

Correct. Real world, unless you're doing a LOT of regular data transfers or the like (video 8k encodes), you won't see a real difference. Gaming there's almost ZERO difference even in load times - files aren't large enough to saturate the bus, you hit limits in filesystem performance first.
So my SSD is perfectly fine then?

So my SSD is perfectly fine then?

It's hard to say because I can't tell exactly what SSD's you have now. Looks like regular SATA based ones. You don't have a model number in your sig for those "Samsung Pro" drives.

Realistically, I'd stick with what you have until you do a full system upgrade, then just buy the new flavor of the week NVMe drive. Maybe get a 4TB single stick m.2 form factor drive (either SATA/AHCI or NVMe). Looks like you have quite a bit of storage in your main PC.

It's hard to say because I can't tell exactly what SSD's you have now. Looks like regular SATA based ones. You don't have a model number in your sig for those "Samsung Pro" drives.

Realistically, I'd stick with what you have until you do a full system upgrade, then just buy the new flavor of the week NVMe drive. Maybe get a 4TB single stick m.2 form factor drive (either SATA/AHCI or NVMe). Looks like you have quite a bit of storage in your main PC.
This. For most things even SATA is fine. I only buy NVMe 4.0 for my TR system - my gaming box is NVMe 3, as are most servers - the extra cost isn't even worth it for some of my NVMEoF work.

Now is the time to trade that 5930K in on Ebay for a 5960X. Its what i did 6 months ago. Cheap upgrade.

I thought the 3rd gen Threadrippers/Motherboards were compatible with the new 4.0? At least from what i've read.

Thanks! I have:
3 WD red pro 8tb
2 12tb Seagate
1 10tb Seagate
3 Samsung 850 pro 2tb

I found the WD Red Pro NAS drives to be way too slow fory liking as I store media on them. Great for backups but not much else.

In a perfect world they are all SSD'a but I do use all of this space with) with 10tb to spare as they backup the other drives. I'd love an alternative to the WD Rex's but I took them for the 5 year warranty.

M.2 Wise, I really was just waiting for them to get more storage. Personally anything less than 2tb feels like a waste of money. My phone's ssd itself has a 1tb drive and with mine of work I like to have LOTD of storage I just prefer more speed out of it which is why I got excited about NVME

Now is the time to trade that 5930K in on Ebay for a 5960X. Its what i did 6 months ago. Cheap upgrade.
I've thought about it but aren't they $300-700? For games I feel I won't see any improvement over my 5930k. What type of improvement are you seeing? My 3090 runs Cod black ops 4k at 110 fps. With RTS it drops to 80. If a 5960x would push it to 120 gsync on my 4k 55 LG CX I'd see that being worth it. My gut says it won't make a difference though 🤷‍♂️ thoughts?

Last edited:
Thanks! I have:
3 WD red pro 8tb
2 12tb Seagate
1 10tb Seagate
3 Samsung 850 pro 2tb

I found the WD Red Pro NAS drives to be way too slow fory liking as I store media on them. Great for backups but not much else.

In a perfect world they are all SSD'a but I do use all of this space with) with 10tb to spare as they backup the other drives. I'd love an alternative to the WD Rex's but I took them for the 5 year warranty.

M.2 Wise, I really was just waiting for them to get more storage. Personally anything less than 2tb feels like a waste of money. My phone's ssd itself has a 1tb drive and with mine of work I like to have LOTD of storage I just prefer more speed out of it which is why I got excited about NVME

I've thought about it but aren't they $300-700? For games I feel I won't see any improvement over my 5930k. What type of improvement are you seeing? My 3090 runs Cod black ops 4k at 110 fps. With RTS it drops to 80. If a 5960x would push it to 120 gsync on my 4k 55 LG CX I'd see that being worth it. My gut says it won't make a difference though 🤷‍♂️ thoughts?

Noooooo. I bought my 5960X for £185 and sold my 5820K for £65 so it cost me...£120 (say $140).

I went one generation newer with a 6900K but I also upgraded from a 5930K. At $270 it's not good value but I don't regret it. Prices on 5960X CPUs range from $150-175. Now IS a good time to take the Nestea plunge, OP.

Last edited:
Back