Fastest current ssd for boot drive? (normal ssd's not enterprise)

wsgroves

n00b
Hi guys.
I am wondering, what is the absolute fastest ssd on the market (not the revo drives) for a windows 7 boot drive?
Would it be the Vertex 3 max iops?

Building a new system and replacing my revo drive v1 and am wondering what would be the best one to go with, I am looking at 128 gig versions for the boot drive.

Thanks.

Thanks, I will have a look into them. Guru3d says that the sandforce controller problems have been completely fixed with the newest firmware update though.

While you are looking for drives ignore the useless 500 M/s quotes that manufacturers provide and look at benchmarks specifically the 4K read and write scores for compressed data since access time is the reason you get an SSD not STR.

Ok thanks. I wont take the chance then with the vertex.
Reading real good things about the new Corsair Performance Pro and OCZ Octane ssd's.

dude, really read this forums and find a ton of threads asking this very same question!

I wouldn't get too hung up on performance numbers. It's very obvious the difference between an SSD and a HDD, but the difference between two SSDs, even with varied performance numbers, is much more difficult.

My recommendation is to spend money to get a good, solid performing SSD (but not necessarily the fastest), and any money you save from not going super high performance, spend on getting a bigger drive. Because while you probably won't notice a difference in speed, you will notice the difference in space.

That being said, I just picked up two Corsair Performance Pros (128 and 256) and I'm very happy with them. They benchmark great, are reasonably priced, and they supposedly do their own garbage collection.

I have the Corsair Force 3 in my work computer and a Force GT in my laptop. Both have been rock solid and very fast since the last firmware came out.

Experience tells me this is not true. Sandforce is hit or miss.

I was crazy enough to buy a Vertex 2 a long time ago. It took them a long time, but eventually they did fix all of my problems. The V3 is now approaching that same time frame where they have probably fixed all of their issues.

Still.... WTF took them so long? /rant

Wait for Intel 520s, they are rumored to use Sandforce controllers and have the same specs as Vertex3 but back up by intel, im sure if there are issues still with the drives/firmware intel will do their best to fix them.

I compare my Corsair Force Gt and Crucial M4, the machine with Force Gt boot way faster than M4.
I going to get rid of M4 and get the Force Gt when price come down a little more.

Last edited:
I compare my for Corsair Force Gt and Crucial M4, the machine with Force Gt boot way faster than M4.
I going to get rid of M4 and get the Force Gt when price come down a little more.

Unless both machines have the exact same hardware, firmware, and software, then any significant boot time difference is probably due to something other than the SSD.

Unless both machines have the exact same hardware, firmware, and software, then any significant boot time difference is probably due to something other than the SSD.

I have exactly hardware, only difference is video card and cpu 2500k and 2600k both @ 4.4GHz, 1 is 480gtx and other is 460gtx, both are fresh windows 7 installed. M4 is about 6 seconds slower to boot every time

I have exactly hardware, only difference is video card and cpu 2500k and 2600k both @ 4.4GHz, 1 is 480gtx and other is 460gtx, both are fresh windows 7 installed. M4 is about 6 seconds slower to boot every time

same motherboard?

Back