fastest booting live cd linux?

Michaelius

Supreme [H]ardness
Can you please advise me which live cd distrubution of linux should i use?
I only need internet browser in there.

I tried mandrive one but it's awfully slow and seems to not like my computer as it hangs after few minutes of booting.

Thanks I'll try it. As for presto this look very nice as dual boot linux but I'm looking for something which would be separated from file system while running to use to browse "not safe" webpages.

Methinks the OP wants a sandbox, and in that case, the recommendation is install VirtualBox in your current Linux OS then create a VM for whatever distro you want to "protect," be it DSL or something else.

The idea of "safe browsing" really only seems to apply to using Windows anymore... Linux distros and OSX are still "safe" from the threats that target the Windows platform, so the sandbox wouldn't be necessary in the first place, I'd think.

Yes I'd do VM way but gready folks at intel cut down this functionality from pentium e line of cpus.

Yes I'd do VM way but gready folks at intel cut down this functionality from pentium e line of cpus.

Just because you don't have the enhanced virtualization instructions doesn't mean you can't run virtualization software. You can still run VM software - it'll just be a few percent slower.

Damn Small Linux? The latest version boots on my HP laptop in about 35 seconds... that's from pressing the power to the desktop, ready to roll.

35 seconds? That's not fast at all IMHO. My Asus Eee PC 1000H running Windows 7 Build 7057 x86 Ultimate boots cold to a usable desktop in about 28 seconds and about another 10 to a launch and get a web page up in IE 8 connecting wirelessly.

35 seconds? That's not fast at all IMHO. My Asus Eee PC 1000H running Windows 7 Build 7057 x86 Ultimate boots cold to a usable desktop in about 28 seconds and about another 10 to a launch and get a web page up with the wireless connecting.

Was gonna say the same thing. My AAO boots 7 (hell, it boots Vista) faster then 35 seconds.

As pxc noted, I did say it was booting off an actual CD, dammit. :) That's 35 seconds from powering up the PC, going through POST, going through the RAID controller initialization, detecting the drives, then reading the CD, to the Desktop... geez.

You SSD babies are spoiled... :)

^ Good point... Guilty as charged...:rolleyes:

FWIW, my AAO has a standard 5400PRM drive, so I'm still surprised how fast it boots.

Just because you don't have the enhanced virtualization instructions doesn't mean you can't run virtualization software. You can still run VM software - it'll just be a few percent slower.

Thanks in the end i installed virtual box and now I'm having fun with it instead.
But really i always though it runs only on machines with Virtualization support and was even ready to buy e8400 for it :D

edit: I got Ubuntu working in virtual box which solves my problem :)

Back