Fastest AGP card that doesn't require psu power?

Do you mean the fastest card that doesn't require an additional 12V+ line?

ok i guess the question is ... is there an 8 pipe agp card that doesn't need external power

i think it's the 9800 non-pro

edit: ahhh damn it does too... shit

i guess they don't make an 8 pipe agp that doesn't need external power :(

9600xt it is

I'm not too current with the latest lower end AGP cards, but I believe the fastest AGP cards that don't require a Molex connector are the FX 5700 non-ultra and the 9600xt.

thanks for the freakin reply already

which would you say of those two is faster ...

In OpenGL games, the 5700 is probably a little faster, but the 9600xt will edge out the 5700 in DX9 games.

EDITI: Here's a review with those two cards included. You'll want to pay attention to the red and green bars for the 5700nu and the 9600xt. Of course, you can always fall back on Tom's VGA charts.. Hope that helps a little. If it were me, I would pick the 9600xt over the 5700.

yea .. i've got my heart set on the Saphirre 9600XT Ultimate = passive

sure hope somebody will sell me one used ..

mal

Don't they make vanilla 6600s in AGP trim? I would image that that would be a bit faster then a 5700 non U.

malicious said:
yea .. i've got my heart set on the Saphirre 9600XT Ultimate = passive

sure hope somebody will sell me one used ..

mal

Yeah, that is a nice card. GL finding one.

i have a 9600 pro from sapphire that runs at stock speeds +%10 and no spinning fan i shit you not. %40 overclock if i grease the fan so it spins for a day or two. no artifacting. really nice chip in it, bought it before 9600xt came out. im ditching it for a 6800 gt or gs soon though.

Yashu said:
doesn't the ATI x1600 not need the PSU plug? check into that.
The AGP version of that card uses a 4 pin floppy drive connector AFAIK.

Ocean said:
i have a 9600 pro from sapphire that runs at stock speeds +%10 and no spinning fan i shit you not. %40 overclock if i grease the fan so it spins for a day or two. no artifacting. really nice chip in it, bought it before 9600xt came out. im ditching it for a 6800 gt or gs soon though.

if the price is right i'll pick up from you

is the fan broken?

mal

it's not a big deal i just don't want to do it .. building a show peice

mal

Couldn't you just use an AGP - PCIE adapter with a PCI-E 6600GT or would that be dangerous? The PCI-E version of the 6600GT doesn't need any external power.

I have a 9600xt on my second rig and it does not require an additional 12v line.

Mal, I think I found something for you. I was looking at Newegg's 6200 AGP cards, and none of them require the additional power connection. Now, you may or may not remember, but some of the early 6200 AGP's were unlockable to 6600 non-ultras, just like alot of the 6800nu's were unlockable. Now, this guy over at AT has an unlockable 6200 AGP for $65/shipped. Plus, if you check his Heatware, you'll find its impeccable. That's not a bad price at all, and I would take a defacto 6600 over a 5700nu or 9600xt any day of the week. Give it a shot and shoot him a PM, and you can probably work something out.

EDIT: A few posts back CrimandEvil stated that normal 6600 AGP's didn't have a power connection and it appears he was right. Newegg has a few 6600nu's, but the cheapest starts at just under $100. It looks now as if the 6600 or an unlocked 6200 may be the only 8-pipe cards that don't need the extra connection.

malicious said:
it's not a big deal i just don't want to do it .. building a show peice

mal
It wouldn't that hard to hide the cable, I make my own extension cables although, honestly, I haven't taken the time to hide the cable or anything.
cable2za.jpg

Make one all black and/or sleeve it wouldn't be much of a problem.

hey there's my old girl

+ the 9600xt and 6200s are at the top of my price range anyway ... 60ish..

mal

thnx for the pic

Mal, I think I found something for you. I was looking at Newegg's 6200 AGP cards, and none of them require the additional power connection. Now, you may or may not remember, but some of the early 6200 AGP's were unlockable to 6600 non-ultras, just like alot of the 6800nu's were unlockable. Now, this guy over at AT has an unlockable 6200 AGP for $65/shipped. Plus, if you check his Heatware, you'll find its impeccable. That's not a bad price at all, and I would take a defacto 6600 over a 5700nu or 9600xt any day of the week. Give it a shot and shoot him a PM, and you can probably work something out.

EDIT: A few posts back CrimandEvil stated that normal 6600 AGP's didn't have a power connection and it appears he was right. Newegg has a few 6600nu's, but the cheapest starts at just under $100. It looks now as if the 6600 or an unlocked 6200 may be the only 8-pipe cards that don't need the extra connection.

picked that one up from him .. unlocks to 8 pipes and does between 6600 and 6600gt

i'd say that's about as good as it gets without the psu lifeline ...

thanks to all

after all that the 6200 that he send me has a molex connector.. arrrgghh

not sure if you have to use it though .. i sent him pm to see if he did..

maybe it's the 6600pcb or something..

mal

x800xl agp doesn't need one

I might have sapphire 9600xt ultimate I might want to sell also.. because I just upgraded to the x800xl

lol

Back