Faster Memory Slows Down PC Performance (G.Skill Sniper)

The problem is its not running well at any speed.

I am just asking GB what memory might be compatible with 1600+speeds at 4x8GB, this is ridiculous.

Yeah try for 1600 set with 1333 timings. What I used to do. Set the ram and use the auto timings for the next lowest speed ram.

Set the ram to auto/1333 then switch the ram timings to manual but don't adjust them and then set the ram speed to 1600. Test and see what happens.

Saved a lot of messing around for me when I used to bother with that stuff. However, as mentioned over the years it has been known for some motherboards to really not like running with 4 sticks. It's why I stick with two sticks only in domestic gear.

Adjust the memory timings. SPD can be wrong sometimes. Gotta set them manually. When the ram is faster also you can set the memory timings to be tighter than a ram stick thats slower at its peak already. Gotta just mess around with the bios settings.

"You will need to use a Ivy Bridge CPU if you wish to run it at 1600mhz as the memory controller on the Ivy Bridge CPU is rated at 1600mhz. Sandy Bridge which is your current CPU 2500K is rated at 1333mhz" - GB Support (nice one week response time)

So I think actually since its prob too late to return this memory, which I WANT anyways, it is about time to upgrade my CPU to something like Intel Core i7-4790K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz)? Does that seem like the best option, although I would have thought CPU prices would have dropped a bit more than this, even the i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz (which doesnt seem much better than mine) is still $250 SMH.

But everything else in my PC is still kosher and just got a 512GB SSD to replace mu 256 so I think with the i7 and the new Sniper I should be good for at least another couple years.

Thoughts?

P.S. I also see that Ivy only allows up to 1600, wow.... SMH.... either way it seems impossible for me to take advantage of these sticks WTF

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back