Faster 3Mbps Verizon DSL $29.95

broadband2.JPG

poopypants said:
badasspenguin i have tried configuring my router, but my dsl connection deals me an internal ip 192.128.xxx.xxx even after finding my external ip there is still no way to direct data sent to the external ip addr to my internal ip, unless i ask verizon to do it for me. either way $90 for dsl and a stupid land line phone is just ridiculous.

it's called port forwarding. I simply remote desktop to the external ip and my router forwords me to the appropriate internal IP. Are you telling me verizon is assigning you to their private network? Because you SHOULD have a 4.2x.xxx.xxx address or a 71.xx.xxx.xxx address.

:( 1.5/384 = highest speed available in my area

...but they have planned to upgrade to 3mb/384 within the year :eek:

my area suXors.

i have RR with 5.0 Mbps downstream and up to 384 Kbps upstream

a PREMIUM plan gets you 8 Mbps downstream and 512 Kbps upstream

sooo YUCKY

verizon offers this for my area - Up to 3 Mbps/768 Kbps

still sucks. i wish i had opt. online soo bad a friend of mine 10 minutes away by drive has opt. online and its WAAAY faster

badasspenguin said:
it's called port forwarding. I simply remote desktop to the external ip and my router forwords me to the appropriate internal IP. Are you telling me verizon is assigning you to their private network? Because you SHOULD have a 4.2x.xxx.xxx address or a 71.xx.xxx.xxx address.
YES, verizon has grouped me into their private network, that's why my router gateway info shows 192.168.xxx.xxx. i understand the concept of port forwarding, i used to run a ftp server using my comcast connection, but since i moved i had to go with dsl and it's been a no go.

poopypants said:
YES, verizon has grouped me into their private network, that's why my router gateway info shows 192.168.xxx.xxx. i understand the concept of port forwarding, i used to run a ftp server using my comcast connection, but since i moved i had to go with dsl and it's been a no go.

It sounds like they are doing a NAT to thier subscribers. That is BS man. That means even if you knew their external address, you would never be able to get access to your internal NATed IP without them putting the port forwarding at their router.

That just plain sucks. Check with the terms of service to see if it says anything about them doing that.

The one thing they ensure with doing that though is no inbound server traffic of any type (unless it is intranetwork requests).

FrothyByte said:
It sounds like they are doing a NAT to thier subscribers. That is BS man. That means even if you knew their external address, you would never be able to get access to your internal NATed IP without them putting the port forwarding at their router.

That just plain sucks. Check with the terms of service to see if it says anything about them doing that.

The one thing they ensure with doing that though is no inbound server traffic of any type (unless it is intranetwork requests).
yep, blowz goat nads :mad: that's why i'm droppin my verizon dsl service and goin back to my old service, it's slower but at least i can put my ftp back up, not to mention the price diff $30 vs $90 (includes phone)

Talon Blackrazor said:
How would I check my availability if I don't have a regular phone line? I've been using only my cell for almost a year now.

My apartment manager has a regular phone line, as do my neighbors. My manager's number is listed in big letters on his door, while my neighbors tend to be googleable.

poopypants said:

I think your mistaken. Also I have been running servers with VZ for 3 years w/o any problems.

poopypants said:

Call presidential appeals and tell them what's going on...I think it's a misunderstanding, some kind of wrong setup on their end.

gsboriqua said:
I think your mistaken. Also I have been running servers with VZ for 3 years w/o any problems.
Well, I am definetly not mistaken about my ip address. However, it might be the case that either verizon made a mistake on their end, or it might be because I live in an apartment complex and they group all the apartments into a smaller network. I'm not really sure, but I will be getting rid of my service anyway cause it's just too expensive.

I'm in a very rural part of VA, and was fortunate enough to be able to get DSL at home for $29.99 a month. I called 2 days ago, and inquired about any speed upgrade. (Before reading this thread) They said I was qualified for a free upgrade to 3 Mbits! They said it may take up to 5 days to see the increase.. I haven't noticed any yet.... Keeping my fingers crossed!

Im going to see if i qualify for the speed increase. Do they advertise the slowest speeds as well in the small print? I have 768k downstream atm which is horrible. I was debating getting comcast until i saw this.

I just got bumped from 768 to 1.5 and pay 10-12 dollars less per month. Not too bad till i wait for FIOS in my area.

I had Verizon DSL (1.5/128) until November and they never blocked any inbound ports at all.

Once it was available I switched to FIOS. They ARE blocking inbound port 80 for FIOS. That's the only port that I've found so far that they are blocking.

I wish they'd block the obvious outbound ports like 137, 138, 139 and 445.

FIOS is great bang for the buck. With Pan under FreeBSD I can pull from Giganews at 12 - 13 mbit/s. The fastest I've ever pulled was 15.9 mbit/s.

I can push upstream at 1.8 mbit/s which is pretty decent.

I'll say... I tested and am now d/l'ing at 285KB instead of 156KB.. Not bad for free!

What exactly is FIOS?

Back