Fast, non-proprietary backup of many small files?

Morlock

Limp Gawd
K I searched around a bit but didn't find the info I was looking for, so I'm going to ask you guys. I'm backing up my Daz Studio folder (data folder, programdata folder, content libraries, etc.,). It's up near 900gb at this point, consisting of tons of small files in a relatively complex directory structure. My backup solution in the past has been Acronis, but after seeing years of BS using their solutions (some of which I experienced myself), I'm no longer willing to trust my backups to their proprietary format. Or anyone else's, for that matter. I need something with fewer gatekeepers, and more options.

So I'm looking for something that uses a non-proprietary storage format, that I can extract or view with any of a variety of widely-available tools (think ZIP, RAR, 7-ZIP, etc.). The thing is, Acronis really hauled ass making backups compared to the alternatives I've tried. First I tried WinRAR, and it was on track for a 40 hour job. I can't even be reasonably assured of 40 hours of up time for my OS, given the shitty power supply where I live, and the storm season being upon us. Acronis can backup pretty much anything in a an hour or four, in my experience.

Is there something out there that has Acronis mojo, but spits out the data in a non-proprietary format? I'm currently running the task with Bandizip because it was recommended as much faster than 7-Zip or WinRAR, but currently it's estimating 18-20 hours to finish the job.

Needs:
Common format
Fast
Break archive into parts
Archive verification
Something like WinRAR's protections (lock archive, recovery record, etc.) would be nice, too.

Edit: just saw this in the recent Acronis thread:

Backing up blocks of data rather than specific files.

Drat. I figured it would be something like this. This is why Acronis is so fast.

Last edited:
Take a look at 2brightsparks.com. The Syncback freeware version of theirs I use simply copies and pastes whatever files I select into a folder and there it is. Various backup profiles can be retained and executed in one click.

Will do DB, thanks. Bandizip wound up doing the job in about 10 hours, so it wasn't too terrible.

Back