Fast advice - Klipsch RF-25, RC-35, RS-25, RW-10. Worth my money???

investinwaffles

Limp Gawd
So I found what looks like a good deal on CL today.

I have wanted some nice Home Theater speakers for a while now but havent been able to afford them (nor have I had a proper setup for them). Been working on that, and I think its finally time for me to invest in a proper setup.

Doing some craigslist shopping today (not for bears, sorry req), and I came across a Klipsch Reference setup listed at $825.

Here is whats included:

2 x RF-25 fronts: RF-25 Floorstanding Speaker

2 x RS-25 surrounds: RS-35 Surround Speaker

1 x RC-35 center channel: RC-35 Center Speaker

1 x RW-10 subwoofer: RW-10 Subwoofer

Anyway, is this a good deal? Or could I piece together a similay spec'd, new setup for around the same?

Manufacture date says 2003-06 which kind of scares me (short run + potentially ~ 8 years old).

I was gonna pair it with Craigslisted receiver:
Denon AVR-391 5.1
http://usa.denon.com/US/Product/Pag...roductId=d2628900-a5f8-49f2-ab1b-28d0d1cf71f9
What do you guys think??? A good setup for $1000, or should I just get a home theater in a box, add a sub and call it a day?

Looking at reviews on the receiver though, it looks like its not really a good unit?
http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/denon-avr-391/4505-6466_7-34078977.html

Its a great price, listen if possible first, then buy.

Offer him 750... it's CL, never pay their asking price.

He wont take less than 800. I am kind of hesitatnt to buy these because I feel like they will be too much speaker for me (I doubt I can properly fit the rear surrounds into my room as they look pretty big). :(

On the other hand they should last me 5-10 years and would be totally worth it. What do you guys think I should do??
I also need a receiver for this - would that Denon AVR-391 be OK or is it a waste to buy an entry level receiver like that. I have a shitty old Kenwood receiver (does optical from my TV which has been fine until now), going through some terrible HTIB panasonic speakers and a crappy over-exerted Acoustic Research sub.

So receiver wise, what would you guys recommend? I dont need anything super fancy, but I would like to get 5.1 audio out of my future HTPC (AMD e-350 planned).

I actually think I decided on buying them, and if I cant use the rear surrounds I'll probably use my crappy Panasonic speakers and either keep the RC-25's or sell them.

EDIT:

He just emailed me and said he would do 750!! I told him id take them - do you guys think this is a good decision?

Last edited:
because I feel like they will be too much speaker for me (

nonsense

Again, like someone suggested, and since you have the opportunity/luxury of actually being able to do so, listen to them before buying.

Are you in a rush to buy an avr? A lot of these avr's pack a lot of features that you may or may not need and i would take more time to research this area. Sure, you say you don't need anything fancy but wouldn't you rather buy smart rather than saying after the fact, "yeah..i really didn't need that feature anyways, even though it cost the same/less" So unless there is a rush to get an avr as well.......

I'd jump on it - I've got the bigger brother of this set - love the Klipsch sound.

Woot, picked them up!!
I have them hooked up to my kenwood amp right now and they sound pretty good!
I DO need another receiver though. Do you guys have any recommendations for what I should look for??

I was trying to find something with a setup mic, but I really dont think ill find one for under $300. Any advice guys?

This one is on sale at Newegg but it will only do 80w or 100w output. Most of the speakers recommend 120w of power.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-EMC-081211-Index-_-Receivers-_-82115313-L06C

2011-08-10-23-13-32-985.jpg

I DO need another receiver though. Do you guys have any recommendations for what I should look for??

I was trying to find something with a setup mic, but I really dont think ill find one for under $300. Any advice guys?

This one is on sale at Newegg but it will only do 80w or 100w output. Most of the speakers recommend 120w of power.

That looks like a good deal for the money, but, if you can manage $300 + 15shipping (may also have to add tax, plus a 5% surcharge if you're not a member and do not wish to become a member) check this one out. Pioneer Elite VSX-31. Weighs about 6 lbs more, quite a few more features, including auto room calibration/setup.

Could also check to see if this one is available at a local Best Buy.

I am a costco member actually.

But I have a nubert question. Does the amplifier's power output (wattage rating) mean anything? The Klipsch manual says 125w RMS and 500w Peak power.

Those amps both output 90w and 80w (i think respectively). Should I go for something like this, which does 110w?

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-STR-DH81...atible/dp/B0038W0J0S/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Reviews are mostly positive, but its not as nice as the other units feature wise (no ethernet - pandora would be nice, cant even tell if it supports ipods/iphones).

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It's important to be careful when comparing wattage between different receivers. There's a lot of little ways those numbers can be manipulated by manufacturers to produce an at least partially imaginary number.

This is a pretty good guide that discusses such matters. The "specsmanship" section in particular talks about some of the reasons care is called for in comparing wattage. Another take on the issue.

Also, some reading on the speaker wattage specification and how it should be used.

Only "apples to apples" objective bench testing on the amplifier sections would really reveal anything close to actual wattage.

Two other receivers that might be worth looking out for would be the Denon 591 and Onkyo TX-NR509.

Last edited:
Back