Fasa closes its doors

dracop

Limp Gawd
Ok, so as many alreayd know Fasa closed its doors today; MS pushed them into an utenable position of making a Vista only game too early in Vista life. News link on the front page of [H]

Anyhows, I dont care about Shadowrun., what Im wondering is, does this release the Mechwarrior franchise form MS's grip? Or was that transfered over to a different MS division?

So frustrating that its been years since we had a Mechwarrior (MW5) simply b/c MS isnt paying attention to its own portfolio of IPs.

It depends on what the do with the IP. When most company's close up they auction off the IP of the company, but i'm not sure in this case.

A little part of me died inside. I feel really saddened by the prospect of never playing a mechwarrior game again :(

That is sad...

Is Pod 9 still around? If I can't have MechWarrior, I'd still take Heavy Gear. All the other recent mech games I've played blow. MechWarrior 3 and the first Heavy Gear game are still the best mech SIM games I've ever played.

These guys used to be great up until a few years ago. Sad to see them go.

I liked most of their games sad to see them go. However not real surprising with the current trends there.

I can't imagine there not being another MW game. It may be some years but I'd bet we see another sometime.

How is this Microsofts fault?
They've been around a while and shouldn't have put all their eggs in one basket. If they did, its their mismanagement, not microsofts.

How is this Microsofts fault?
They've been around a while and shouldn't have put all their eggs in one basket. If they did, its their mismanagement, not microsofts.

Don't you know, everything that happens that is bad is Microsoft's fault. :rolleyes:

Anyways, FASA closing up shop is a sad event.

So was FASA a third party game developer and MS just had contracts with them? I always figured that MS owned them.

Meh. Fasa was at best a hack of a battle simulation. There is always star fleet battles, for those who liked mechwarrior and don't mind playing a similar (and much deeper game, imho) strategy game based in the star trek uinverse.

Sad to see FASA go down :(
Anyone looking for Mech action should check out Megamek - Not a shooter, More strategy, Turn based and very true to the old P&P game.
Very fun.

Don't you know, everything that happens that is bad is Microsoft's fault. :rolleyes:

Anyways, FASA closing up shop is a sad event.

It is Microsoft's fault. Microsoft bought them in whole right before Mechwarrior III came out and had direct control over everything they did. Which franchises they developed, which platforms, etc. And FASA is not an isolated event. Look at all of the other indie developers that Microsoft has bought and then summarily destroyed.

Sad...I actually kind of liked Shadowrun. It was a good twist to the traditional shoot-um-up games. Too bad it was a Vista only game- it had a lot of potential. Guess I'll be playing with bots for now :(

Back