Farm Pics ... Post yours

This was it before my upgrade....

The quad upgrade did the following:

Quad in X2 case
X2 in A64 3500 case
A64 3500 in AXP case
AXP motherboard fried, no case to put it in and no motherboard to use it in :D

My 'farm' is scattered around the house... but I'll take some pics anyway today :D Touch of the flu, so after a nap I'll put them in this reply.

My home "farm"...

Three P4 2g boxes, two running the diskless client, one Ubuntu 7.10 running the standard client....and the emonster is just an empty case.. but I think it's kind of cool.. the thing is in perfect condition... memories:)

My main machine, running Vista and the GPU client...

My kids machine, P4 2.8 running the standard client.... yay for Dell!

And the newest addition at home, my nearly naked 4400+ running the diskless SMP client

Pretty, ain't it:)

Here's a shot of the whole mess.....including Chester the ferocious guard dog....

I've been trying to get my wifes machine folding, but we're having stability issues that I think are related to the video card...not sure yet. Once it's stable, we'll have that one folding as well...

I JUST dealt with one of those "emonsters" at work. Hilarious sticker on the front, holy onto that bad boy according to those stickers its the "greatest gaming machine on earth"

I'll get pics of my space heaters up later.

How much is your electrical bill?

Averages around $90~$110 a month in the winter, but a big reason for that is our house was built in 1925, and it isn't exactly "efficient". We live in Denver, so the heat is on most of the time in the winter, gets pretty cold here at times. It's substantially less in the summer, as we don't have a/c..... which sucks... gets pretty hot here in the summer:)

digital_exhaust, I like those white cases. Looks great.

I also like the diskless client box. The insides are just like mine. Clean, efficient, and cheap to build.

I see you are also using an Artic Freezer 7 ..... I have 6 of these ... awesome!

Nice

I'll have picks up in a week, I have a new addition on it's way :D

Here's what we're working with for a folding/render farm.

5 Q6600s @ 3Ghz.

q6600x5vn2.jpg

:D

I need a tissue *sniff* That's better then a sunset as a beach *sniff*

Thanks guys. I've been folding on and off since 2000, but this is the first time I've had this much contribution potential.

Yep, they are on plastic standoffs. Micro-ATX boards and Power Supplies. I hope they can keep pace with the abuse. The racks are folded sheet metal and brackets are the riveted on. They've only been folding for about 2 days but have been pretty solid in SMP. I also have two more Q6600 boxes folding, but they aren't part of this farm.

Ideally I'd be running SMP client and a VM but I need to preserve RAM for render jobs. This farm operates in an educational environment where they will work on 3d renders for maybe 2-3 weeks a semester. But since this resource will have to be available year round 24/7, the remainder of the time they'll be folding. Potentially, this may be expanded to 10 total nodes next fall.

^ Wow, awesome setup and aesthetically pleasing to boot.

They'd fold faster in Papa John's boxes.

:)

That is indeed a pretty badass setup....can't wait to have a basement again to setup my computers in so I can do things like that :D

college will be done one day :p

Wow!!! Catboxer, one nice friggin' farm. :p
Would somebody be kind enough to post how us newbs can post a pic. (please try not to laugh too hard :rolleyes: ) All I have availiable that I can get working is a dippy WebCam Chat camera. (with Photo Tags Express) I've got 2x security usb cameras in use, but it's too much trouble to take apart and 2x el cheapo digital cameras I can't find the CD's with the drivers for. :mad:
I'm trying to do these things on a E6400, AW9D-MAX, Vista Home Premium, if that makes any difference. The boxen has 2x Gigs of PC 6400.

Would somebody be kind enough to post how us newbs can post a pic. (please try not to laugh too hard :rolleyes: ) All I have availiable that I can get working is a dippy WebCam Chat camera. (with Photo Tags Express)

www.bbpix.com

Create a user account and put your pic there. The site will create a furom link when you upload if you want it too. He let's [H] people post for the forum.

Here's what we're working with for a folding/render farm.

5 Q6600s @ 3Ghz.

:D

What are the specs?

Do these boxen do anything besides fold?

What MB and PSUs did you use?

Thanks.

I've had a few requests for specs PCs in the farm, so here they are.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-G31MX-S2 Intel G31 Chipset with on-board VGA

RAM: 2 GB (Mostly OCZ DDR2 800 1GB x 2). 2 nodes have Kingston ECC DDR2-800 since a dell machine here refused to work with it and I swapped the ram. 4-4-4-15 with OCZ sticks but ECC RAM is running slower timings.

CPU: Q6600 G0 9x333 @ Stock voltage

Hard drive: 80GB SATAII Seagate

Power Supply: Athena Micro ATX 400w.

They are connected to a gigabyte switch then uplinked to a 100TX Cisco switch.

I use software by Frantic Films called Deadline to manage our Render queues. When its not folding, it is working on Maya, MentalRay, Renderman, or Rhino frames. To do daily maintenance I can remote desktop or VNC into the machines. If more extensive work is needed, I can unstick the hard drives from their velcro'd mounts, image them, and put them back online.

Get a card reader or use the camera on your cell phone if you have one.

Nupe, no card reader (I do have an el cheapo digital camera recognized in both Linux and winders as a flash drive though), cell phone check, but no camera in it. My problemo wasn't unable to take pics, I have an album of my lil' ole' ferm, my problemo was HOW to post pics. Thanks to the OP relic I now know how. (sometimes you just have to bear with us new-ba-roos) :D

Thanks to the OP relic I now know how. (sometimes you just have to bear with us new-ba-roos) :D

You have a million points... and you are a new-baaahh-roos? :p

Sounds like something from the Team Down Under that shall go un named!

You have a million points... and you are a new-baaahh-roos? :p

Sounds like something from the Team Down Under that shall go un named!

Sho' nuf, I don't think any human knows it all and besides, what has folding have to do with posting pictures or for that matter cell phones?

PS I didn't say I was a newb at every-freaking-thing. Thanks for illistrating how to spell the "newb" thing, see, nobody knows it all :D

Here is my little dorm room sauna of a farm

General corner of my dorm featuring couches newly stolen from our living room.
dsc00363ca7.jpg

Lappy hidden in the far corner
dsc00364th9.jpg

The legendary backpack folder
dsc00365bf8.jpg

TV and main rig
dsc00366is4.jpg

Hidden tower with 16port switch on it, you know the IT department loves it when I need 5 IPs instead of 1.
dsc00367ma4.jpg

^ What kind of switch is that? It looks a lot like my D-Link DSS-16+ but mine has 4 rows of LEDs (2 per port) and the ports are on the back.

It's waiting for Stanford to make 360 folding client. =)

Its a d-link something or the rather, 16 porter.

Back