Farewell, Android Pay. We Hardly Tapped You

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Google killed Android Pay this week and replaced it with Google Pay, which offers similar features and adds some of the functionality provided by Google Wallet. The new app makes it easy for users to see recent purchases, find nearby stores, and access rewards. Chrome support is reportedly coming soon.

Wallet allowed you to fling money to other Google Wallet users, but that feature has yet to find its way into the new Google Pay. Google has renamed the old Wallet as Google Pay Send. It may stick around "for a few months", which is how long Google reckons it will take to fold P2P payments into Google Pay.

Had Android Pay on my phone... don't know why though I literally never used it. Forget if I needed to install it for something to work... meh. I keep a wallet with me wherever I go, why my credit card isn't good enough I'll never know.

In my experience with Samsung Pay and places that support it, the transaction speed is significantly quicker than using the chip on my card. That's why I use it. I do my fingerprint to activate the card while they are still ringing me up, they click total, I put phone on pad and it beeps instantly with approved. No chip shit that takes forever. It's even faster than swiping when places don't accept chip.

I can't see it being faster then using my chip card when its under 100$ I don't even have to enter my pin, just waive the card near the receiver.
Over a 100$ I have to use my pin but it doesn't happen that often for me unless I'm buying online ...

I can't see it being faster then using my chip card when its under 100$ I don't even have to enter my pin, just waive the card near the receiver.
Over a 100$ I have to use my pin but it doesn't happen that often for me unless I'm buying online ...

My cards (afaik) aren't fancy enough to have the wireless built in.

In my experience with Samsung Pay and places that support it, the transaction speed is significantly quicker than using the chip on my card. That's why I use it. I do my fingerprint to activate the card while they are still ringing me up, they click total, I put phone on pad and it beeps instantly with approved. No chip shit that takes forever. It's even faster than swiping when places don't accept chip.

The transaction is not any faster. You just don’t need to dig for the card. You still need to sign which is really dumb.

Another failed Android attempt on trying to copy Apple.

Oh yea~ Come at me brah.

I've been using Android Pay for bus fares and it was faintly amusing a couple hours ago when I did the tap and, after registering the transaction, a tutorial for Google Pay popped up...didn't I just prove that I know how to use it?

In any case, props to Google for making the change seamless. It would have been really annoying if I tapped and then found out I had to go through setup again before it worked.

Google tracks enough of my life as it is. I'll be damned if I let them track my credit card transactions, too.

And screw this wireless nonsense. I like having to physically insert the card in the machine. A little extra bother to make it harder for a thief to make unauthorized use of my card is fine.

I love using Samsung pay and it is faster... unless the damn thing says card read error and you have to do it again... I try to always use it and rack up those reward points!

Who would be crazy enough to trust Google with their credit card information? Android security model is completely broken.

Another failed Android attempt on trying to copy Apple.

Oh yea~ Come at me brah.
Samsung misunderstood it's customer base, they're more about functionality and don't quite have that hipster douche swagger that Apple targets, the same ones that want to have a phone version of a driver's license so you don't even need a wallet.

Samsung misunderstood it's customer base, they're more about functionality and don't quite have that hipster douche swagger that Apple targets, the same ones that want to have a phone version of a driver's license so you don't even need a wallet.

I don't quite understand the last part.

Since MorphoTrust is the one developing the driver's license app and not Apple. Also it seems like it is available on Android apparently.

https://electronics.howstuffworks.c...ers-license-your-phone-theres-an-app-that.htm

I used it three times I think. Just quicker and easier to take out my debit card and tap with that. Works every time.

Samsung pay is the best because you don't need cards ever. Samsung pay on Samsung phones lets you pay, even if all the store has is a mag reader. You have to have NFC for Apple pay and Google pay

I haven't used Android pay since Samsung pay came out. Being able to use any magnet or NFC capable terminal is pretty awesome. Especially when the cashier is telling you the terminal does not have Apple Pay.

I literally only use it when there are incentives by my credit card company to do so such as cash back bonus or statement credit. I can see it being handy to pay for stuff if you forget your wallet though. Using a credit card is generally slightly faster and easier.

I literally only use it when there are incentives by my credit card company to do so such as cash back bonus or statement credit. I can see it being handy to pay for stuff if you forget your wallet though. Using a credit card is generally slightly faster and easier.

I use the crap out of Samsung Pay because Samsung gives you reward points. On top of that, the card I'm using is always my Amazon card and I rack up the rewards on that one at the same time.

If your card has a chip and you're directed to use that instead of swiping, then in no way whatsoever is using your card faster than paying with your phone. It's the opposite, for sure, on that.

I've been using it as much as I can lately. My Chase Freedom card has been giving me 5% back on all purchases made through the app.

One thing I really like about the new app is that just about anything else on your phone can treat it as a form of payment. Meaning you don't need to have your credit card on file with a dozen different apps/companies - you just tell them to use Google Pay or something like PayPal. This isn't specific to the new app per se, but it's part of their greater Google Pay initiative.

I've been using Android pay for a few years now and like the convenience. One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is that my bank issues a unique card number for android pay that can only be used by the app. If someone were to steal the info from a database and then try to use it manually to buy something via a regular card processing method, my bank would flag it and deny the transaction.

Why do we need yet another middleman beyond our bank, our credit card, and our money, again? Every time we let someone else take a cut, our money spends a little less, or in other words, goods get that much more expensive.

The transaction is not any faster.

Nope, you are wrong. NFC is fast. Chip takes forever, maybe the actual transaction is the same but the way it's wrapped on the POS terminal it ends up being significantly slower. Not to mention you don't have to endure the sloppy Win 95 era audio prompts and BMP images reminding the user to remove their card.

Last edited:
Android pay launched in September 2015?

Apple pay launched in October 2014?

Apple was working on Apple pay since 2013 and when they announced it in 2014, Google got the ball rolling to "compete" with Apple by partnering up softcard.

https://www.cnet.com/news/google-wallet-softcard-partner-on-mobile-payments/

So... you got a time machine?

Ok so I got the name wrong, it was initially called google wallet. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Wallet "Initial release May 26, 2011" "Google Wallet also had NFC payment capabilities, until the creation of Android Pay."

And yes I remember having to root my then cutting edge HTC Evo 4G and ROM'ing it because Sprint blocked it. https://www.theverge.com/2012/7/10/3148972/google-wallet-sprint-htc-evo-4g-lte-ota-july

And then the headache of stores claiming no support for it, me tapping my phone on the terminal and them not knowing WTF was going on. When apple pay did catch on most of the NFC enabled credit terminals didn't support apple pay and then being told "We don't accept cellphone payments" even tho I then had to clarify that this wasn't apple pay.

Where is your god now?

Last edited:

I have a wallet so I don't need a phone - just ask the hipster in the lineup next to me to take the important calls.

Back