Farcry = overrated

Genocidal

Limp Gawd
Lame storyline
Horrible characters
VERY bad hit detection/damage models. Nothing like shooting a wild pig between the eyes at point blank with an m-4 assault rifle and having it snort at you and walk away.

I did however, like the level design, and the graphics are of course pretty. Definately over rated though. Mediocre game at best.

my 2 cents.

I found it fun for what it was, but it didn;t keep me going too far through the "monster" levels. I stopped at the Rebellion chapter because I was disappointed to be playing yet another game where I have to shoot genetically enhanced beings.

Volume said:
I found it fun for what it was, but it didn;t keep me going too far through the "monster" levels. I stopped at the Rebellion chapter because I was disappointed to be playing yet another game where I have to shoot genetically enhanced beings.

I agree, I enjoyed the levels where you fought the mercenaries alot more then the monster levels, although a good scare or two was to be had w/ the monsters. It was a fun game w/ awesome graphics but the story didnt really make me want to find out what happened. So when I had to reformat 9/10 of the way through the game I never bothered replaying.

In my opinion FarCry was good in the out-doors with Merc's but when you get to the indoors/mutants its like wow killing hordes of "advanced" AI mutant monkeys is so much fun :rolleyes: .

In the Jungle-Catwalk level its sad to see the cool Merc's who are smart and tactical turn into retards when the Mutants are around. All the sudden they can't hit crap and there guns are weak and they actually face AWAY from the Monkeys and don't fire and try to run away while the Monkeys just leap slash them in the back :( .

true, i didn't play teh game because of the horrible characters. They just don't look real, seem out of place, if i'm making any sense this late in the evening.

btw, yeah for the forum being back up!

You gotta admit. The cheesy voice acting just kept ya goin for more!

of course everyone has their opinion. Heres my 2 cents:

The story line did suck but the graphics to me made up for it. I personally enjoyed the game more than any other FPSer. I didn't care much for halo I mean it was fair but nothing special. Half Life I didn't really get to finish it so can't comment on it.

Anyway I enjoyed the graphics more than anything also the weapons was good. Granted if the graphics wasn't good I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much if at all. What can I say I am a graphics w*ore

The main character was the worst, the supposed former spec ops guy who can't even run 10 feet withot getting tired. All he did was complain the whole time. The only part in the game i enjoyed was when the girl tells him to stop his bitching. :p

I agree. It is frustrating and pisses me off too much to be fun, for me at leas.t

opinions based off the demos.

it looked very good. i'll say that. some of it was exciting. i liked it how it seemed way more open on the island than usual, i.e. you didn't have to go one certain way every time. i honestly only bought it so that eventually i'll be able to go back and jack up every setting :)

I liked it...It was fun, and had some flare and eye candy that other shooters have been lacking lately.

I played the demo and really didn't like it. If a friend has it and I get to play the full version I might change my mind. But till then I wont waste my money on it.

I loved the game.

IMO far cry has became the new "it's cool to hate " game to a lot of people.

I mean the storyline was basically just a run off of about 10000x fps , that was the point.

name another fps the past few years that had a truly good storyline that wasn't similar to the usual "save the world, for love, etc" we always see.

The gameplay i thought was great. You had soooooo many options in order to beat the missions, go this way or that way, try this and that, you were basically limitless to try what your mind could think of with what you had.

Vehicles, plenty of guns, large open areas, good AI (for the most part, better than most other fps games)

IMO this game was one of the better fps games to have came out in the past few years.

Cool to hate? Every game site and magazine seem to be wacking off to this game.

I don't know if the patch fixed this but the vehicle handling in this game is piss poor.

Genocidal, Stiler did not type "game sites" or "magazines" but "people." You would have a point if he/she had refered to either of those groups but he/she didn't, and yes, among game forums it has been very chic to hate Far Cry. Either whiners flock together or folks are pulling the same tired comments from the same play books.

You know, it would be nice to see folks spend more time writing about the games they like rather than throwing mud at a good game. It's one thing to rant about a crap game that gets unfair praise or sells (ETM, Tomb Raider, etc) but this just smacks of melon throwing.

As a SP game Far Cry ranks up with the best. MP, it is only ok.

I enjoyed the game because it didn't end in 5 levels. I played max payne 2 when it first came out and it took me like 8 hours of gameplay to beat it. Farcry gave me tons of gameplay time at Realistic AI and made me think of new strategies to beat each level. Its not the best game out there as a multi-player but for single player its a nice FPS refresher.

Alex A. said:
FLUSH HIM OUT!!! :D

Haha, more like "YEAHH!! HOW DO YOU LIKE THEM APPLES!??" :rolleyes:

some lame stuff going on there. It's pretty much all been said, so far, but I quit playing when my saves messed up. I was actually going to finish it so I could say I did, but then I realised... I was shooting invisible mutant apes operating silenced Mp5s.... :sigh:
:(

oh, and im playing XIII right now... it dosen't seem to be the "save the world" type of game, and im actually enjoying it quite a lot.

I finished it. Had fun.

Here's a save game command for you.
\save_game h
Worked for me all the time no problems.

I also didn't like the exaggerated hand movements during cutscenes. For every new word, they flapped their arms up and down.

Speaking of that, they better not over-do the faces in HL2. Don't discuss. Back on topic.

I'm including people too as most of my friends and the people I talk to rave about the game. Only time will, but if I was a betting man, people will forget all about Far cry by the end of 2004.

Genocidal said:
I'm including people too as most of my friends and the people I talk to rave about the game. Only time will, but if I was a betting man, people will forget all about Far cry by the end of 2004.

ahahahhaha :D hardly man.

far cry will be remembered, and there will probally be a sequel.

Finally, ive been saything this game is an "ok" game since before it was released. Im glad others can see past the pretty graphics! Its a pretty, mediocore, game. Nothing special.

I finished it had a blast! Very fun game probably one of my all time FPS games!

I see Far Cry as a platform for other good games to be built around. The environments and overall vastness of the levels are things that I hope will be mimicked in future games. The graphics weren't anything to scoff at, either.

I played the demo and knew it was going to be overrated. Only thing it really has going for it is its awesome engine. But in my opinion, graphics don't make games fun, its the gameplay.

Back