FarCry and Windows 7 x64 problems

Has anyone else had issues with Farcry under Windows 7 x64? I can't make the dumb thing work no matter what I do. I've tried running the game as an admin, xp and vista compatability, I've updated direct x, and my graphics drivers. It's really annoying the crap out of me because I don't want to have to reinstall Vista because of one stupid game.

The symptoms are you try running the game (I've also tried the x64 patch), and it just hangs there. If you pull up the task manager svchost is using up a good chunk of the CPU while the farcry.exe is using like 2-4%. Anyway have any ideas?

Im having problem running farcry under vista 64bit. It seemed I had to run the game on low for all settings or the game hangs.

Im having problem running farcry under vista 64bit. It seemed I had to run the game on low for all settings or the game hangs.

Yeah, I just tried that. Same results. Some have suggested that it's due to an incompatibility with PunkBuster. PB works fine for me with other games, so I'm not sure how much of that is true.

I did not have problems with that.
But now, I have it on Steam and got rid of the regular (non-Steam) version. So, I cannot check anything on the non-Steam install settings.

Yeah, I just tried that. Same results. Some have suggested that it's due to an incompatibility with PunkBuster. PB works fine for me with other games, so I'm not sure how much of that is true.

Have you tried updating your Punkbuster version? Going to their website and manually downloading the latest version? Its what I had to do to get COD4 working in Win7 x64.

Have you tried updating your Punkbuster version? Going to their website and manually downloading the latest version? Its what I had to do to get COD4 working in Win7 x64.

Yeah I tried that. Unfortunately they only have FarCry 2 listed so that won't work... :( thanks though

Played this at a LAN recently on the same OS, had some problems on the first launch, IIRC the opening cutscenes were sort of stuck, I alt tabbed back and forth a few times and I think that kicked it into gear.

I play FarCry (the first one) with all patches on vista x64 without problems

I play FarCry (the first one) with all patches on vista x64 without problems

I know it works in Vista, and I know that Windows 7 isn't finished yet. I was just asking this because I figured that someone else tried this as well and found a way to make it work.

I'm having problems with this, too. I have the steam version. Sorry this is a bump for an old thread but hoping someone else has a fix for this issue. I read online that someone used a patch manually? Any ideas there?

I tried it in Win7 64 with similar results as you. Did not get it to work. The game would run, but with extremely limited control (no mouse control or panning) and would crash within minutes. I have since read where others have had success disabling all but one core of their CPU's. I have not tried this yet, but I thought I would mention it.

Hope you find a solution. Awesome game. I still keep an XP 32 machine around for my oldies just for this reason.

Back