Far from Windows 10, which OS is for gaming?

princeboy47

Limp Gawd
so, I started to get bored of windows 10 since it's not a light OS by default and gaming is my what I do on my pc all the time and that makes me wonder and look for a light OS and NOT just light but also has good performance with gaming AAA games. As far as I searched, there are several options seen, but what's on top is Xubuntu and Lubuntu. I never used any OS other than Windows so I have no experience about other OSes such as Ubuntu, Linux and any other if found...

which OS is considerable?

Windows 10....you can turn most everything off. I think black viper has some tutorials.

http://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-10-service-configurations/
Blackviper Tuts have been useless since XP days, and often times have broken more than they fixed in years past (WIn 7 and 8 usually did). Shutting down most of those things might save you a couple MB of memory here and there at most and probably cause you more trouble than it is worth.

I think that Linux is not there yet for your "AAA" gaming. I think you are stuck with windows 10. I would look at your hardware. A decent video card with 32 gigs of ram should work just fine. You can limit some of the crap with 10 using ShutUp10. I'm not sure how windows 10 LTSC version would work. Maybe someone else who has used it can chime in.

Yeah.... if the overhead of Windows is a problem, you arent actually "gaming" in the sense we use around here, as your system would have to be at least 10 years old with terrible specs to even remotely be impacted by the OS..

Its not 2001 anymore, folks. You dont *need* to disable everything, or even anything, to get acceptable performance. Stop living in the past. I havent "optimized" an OS or shut down services to play games since the early XP days... and that includes when I played WoW on a stock Asus Eee PC in 2013 or whenever I had it....

I always love it when whiny OPs won't actually tell you their problems they're having or their system specs, and just assume they've got it all figured out.

Have fun blaming all life's problems on Microsoft :rolleyes:

If you're interested in checking out other OSes, I encourage you to look into Linux. However, realize that it isn't simply a "copy" of Windows - things work differently and you'll need to learn, similar to any new OS, though on many "desktop focused" distributions there will be a lot of things rather familiar. Linux offers a wide variety of benefits compared to Windows when it comes to elements like security, privacy, customization, and user control/data sovereignty. If this is of any interest or merit, I'd encourage you to read more on the platform. You may want to check out distrowatch.com for some reviews and ideas of different Linux distributions.

As others have mentioned, these days unless you are working with extremely limited hardware, its unlikely that the OS itself is going to have a very large performance effect. Likewise, having an OS with "lightweight" slimmed down settings vs one with standard or demanding ones, is again not a huge change unless you're dealing with very limited hardware resources. Are you running into particular issues?

I'm not sure how windows 10 LTSC version would work. Maybe someone else who has used it can chime in.

I've been using LTSC since it released Q4 2018. I like it a lot for various reasons, but it has some drawbacks.

First the bad, it's an enterprise version and does not use a consumer activation system. You have to work around that. It's version 1809 of Windows 10 so you won't get the latest AMD scheduler until the next LTSC release around 2022. It's somewhat stripped down and lacks the Microsoft Store. That does cause some headaches with drivers that require the use of a UWP control panel. There's ways around that, for example you can still get standard nVidia drivers that come bundled with the old style control panel. If you actually use MS Store apps, you won't be able to install them through the normal interface, though you can sideload them. The UWP environment is there and fully functional. Alternately you can add the store, but then if you start adding stuff like that why run LTSC in the first place.

The good, LTSC is a stripped down version of Windows 10. It lacks bloatware like Cortana, Microsoft Store, and all the Start menu garbage. Being an enterprise version is has more controls. You can uninstall more stuff through DISM if want to get rid of more unused modules. It runs significantly fewer processes and is lighter on memory and CPU usage.

Windows 10 is actually pretty good with process management and somehow keeps the godawful heap of background process it runs from impacting performance too much. You generally won't see big gains in program performance with LTSC, though it can sometimes do things faster having less background crap going on. The thing I like most about LTSC is it's more simple and much cleaner than consumer versions. There's fewer processes and services running. It's like going back to a more win7 like experience. Being an enterprise version I like that it has additional low level controls and I use them.

Windows 10 has become overbearing in terms of the massive amount of crap it comes with. It's getting to the point I can't take anymore. The consumer versions are definitely over the top. I actually hope to get away from Windows at some point, but I'm not there yet. LTSC is a good stop gap for me. It's lighter, more flexible, and provides more controls. There are some things I have to work around, such as the UWP control panel thing, but it's totally worth the trouble for me. I'll keep using LTSC as long as it's available.

I've been using LTSC since it released Q4 2018. I like it a lot for various reasons, but it has some drawbacks.

First the bad, it's an enterprise version and does not use a consumer activation system. You have to work around that. It's version 1809 of Windows 10 so you won't get the latest AMD scheduler until the next LTSC release around 2022. It's somewhat stripped down and lacks the Microsoft Store. That does cause some headaches with drivers that require the use of a UWP control panel. There's ways around that, for example you can still get standard nVidia drivers that come bundled with the old style control panel. If you actually use MS Store apps, you won't be able to install them through the normal interface, though you can sideload them. The UWP environment is there and fully functional. Alternately you can add the store, but then if you start adding stuff like that why run LTSC in the first place.

The good, LTSC is a stripped down version of Windows 10. It lacks bloatware like Cortana, Microsoft Store, and all the Start menu garbage. Being an enterprise version is has more controls. You can uninstall more stuff through DISM if want to get rid of more unused modules. It runs significantly fewer processes and is lighter on memory and CPU usage.

Windows 10 is actually pretty good with process management and somehow keeps the godawful heap of background process it runs from impacting performance too much. You generally won't see big gains in program performance with LTSC, though it can sometimes do things faster having less background crap going on. The thing I like most about LTSC is it's more simple and much cleaner than consumer versions. There's fewer processes and services running. It's like going back to a more win7 like experience. Being an enterprise version I like that it has additional low level controls and I use them.

Windows 10 has become overbearing in terms of the massive amount of crap it comes with. It's getting to the point I can't take anymore. The consumer versions are definitely over the top. I actually hope to get away from Windows at some point, but I'm not there yet. LTSC is a good stop gap for me. It's lighter, more flexible, and provides more controls. There are some things I have to work around, such as the UWP control panel thing, but it's totally worth the trouble for me. I'll keep using LTSC as long as it's available.

Yeah, Windows LTSC for gamers: For when you want something as complicated as getting AAA games working on Linux!

so get an enterprise product for home gaming?! make sense :rolleyes:

I would genuinely like to know if anyone running Windows 10 would thing the experience is any different than prior versions of Windows had certain things not been shouted about so loudly on the internet. Would you really know about all the "crap going on?" You said yourself that you won't see any difference in performance.

I would genuinely like to know if anyone running Windows 10 would thing the experience is any different than prior versions of Windows had certain things not been shouted about so loudly on the internet. Would you really know about all the "crap going on?" You said yourself that you won't see any difference in performance.

Right, you uninstall Ondrive, then turn off Cortana, and Window 10 suddenly behaves exactly like Windows 7 did.

What hardware are you running? Linux itself (well certain distros) can definitely be less taxing than Windows 10, but this doesn't translate necessarily into better game performance.

I'm running Linux Mint Cinnamon and it's working nice (I also have a beefy PC, though). I think Xfce is a little less intensive on resources, also available on Mint.

Performance is good as far as I can tell. Even running through Steam Proton, the performance drop is not much at all.

Actually I think Watch Dogs 2 runs better, I was able to max out and still get a smooth 166Hz (granted last I tried on Windows was like 2 years ago, so maybe drivers have improved).

You can get a second SSD drive for cheap (500GB is enough to try) and test it out for yourself. Even if it doesn't work for you, it's a fun weekend project.

What hardware are you running? Linux itself (well certain distros) can definitely be less taxing than Windows 10, but this doesn't translate necessarily into better game performance.

Also I think we need to be clear about what "less taxing" means: It means uses less RAM in the background. That's about it. Windows itself uses next to no CPU at idle, just a fraction of a percent of a core for servicing hardware calls and the like (same as any OS), when you run in exclusive fullscreen it uses no GPU resources, they all go to the game... So basically it doesn't cause any impact UNLESS you don't have enough RAM. If your RAM is too low, and the computer has to start paging, then you have issues. That is an area Linux could potentially help in that some distros use less RAM.

Ok... but that really just means you need more RAM. We aren't talking about Windows taking up tons, it needs like 2-3GB to itself to be completely happy. So 8GB total does the trick for about 98% of games, and 16GB does the trick for all of them I've ever seen. Also as you note, it is only true for some distros. You get some of the most feature laden ones, well they use more RAM, particularly if you want to have other things running in the background. Load up Steam, Discord, Chrome, etc, etc and pretty soon any savings made are too minimal to notice.

So long as you have sufficient RAM and haven't done anything to mess it up, your OS isn't likely to be what is slowing things down. Your background apps, your CPU, your GPU, those are all much more likely candidates. Windows (and Linux) know how to stay out of the way and give time to demanding apps that need it.

Also I think we need to be clear about what "less taxing" means: It means uses less RAM in the background. That's about it. Windows itself uses next to no CPU at idle, just a fraction of a percent of a core for servicing hardware calls and the like (same as any OS), when you run in exclusive fullscreen it uses no GPU resources, they all go to the game... So basically it doesn't cause any impact UNLESS you don't have enough RAM. If your RAM is too low, and the computer has to start paging, then you have issues. That is an area Linux could potentially help in that some distros use less RAM.

Ok... but that really just means you need more RAM. We aren't talking about Windows taking up tons, it needs like 2-3GB to itself to be completely happy. So 8GB total does the trick for about 98% of games, and 16GB does the trick for all of them I've ever seen. Also as you note, it is only true for some distros. You get some of the most feature laden ones, well they use more RAM, particularly if you want to have other things running in the background. Load up Steam, Discord, Chrome, etc, etc and pretty soon any savings made are too minimal to notice.

So long as you have sufficient RAM and haven't done anything to mess it up, your OS isn't likely to be what is slowing things down. Your background apps, your CPU, your GPU, those are all much more likely candidates. Windows (and Linux) know how to stay out of the way and give time to demanding apps that need it.

If you run multiple demanding applications, you're going to need more memory. There's nothing magical about Linux in Memory Management.

Even Windows 8 introduced a competitive implementation of Linux's ZRAM auto memory compression.

There's nothing wrong with modern Windows memory management

What the fuck else do you expect your average Windows machine to require in terms o memory when you load it with shit like Chrome PLUS hardware monitoring/control programs PLUS the latest AAA games? Linux will need just as much ram to make it all work.

You can run the exact same shitty applications on your Linux gaming machine as they do on Windows, and it will be just as out-of-memory! Th-he most you will save is slightly lower overhead from your Window Manager (lost in the noise on any system with 4gb or more )

Linux is only useful for systems running well under 1GB of ram (embedded developers at this point), and for servers with massive quantities of ram. Windows 10 is quite usable on 2GB, and won't curl-up and die on 1GB.

The only difference you can find between Windows and Linux i s thread-scaling efficiency, but that doesn't impact under 64 threads (again, servers, not gaming systems)

Last edited:

I'd add that unused RAM is wasted RAM...

Blackviper Tuts have been useless since XP days, and often times have broken more than they fixed in years past (WIn 7 and 8 usually did). Shutting down most of those things might save you a couple MB of memory here and there at most and probably cause you more trouble than it is worth.

LOL no....he even warns the idiots and noobs on most pages there could be adverse effects. It was still useful for Windows 7, but 10 I don't know about. If you don't know what you are doing and not able to fix it then the tutorials are not for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: pug71
like this
It's been talked about above but CURRENTLY LTSC 1809 works great for gaming. But as a long time LTS* user (work bleeds into home) you will want to be aware that at some point the LTS* distributions will no longer be supported by NVIDIA / AMD and some other drivers and other gaming centric issues will arise down the road as it ages.

But also as others have said, a Win 10 Pro that is cleaned up and well managed is honestly a sleek thing of beauty for a massively supported OS in my opinion.

I'd add that unused RAM is wasted RAM...

Yes but also a tiny bit no. It does have mild use in that Windows can and will cache data in it so when you need that data, it is right there and fast. Means if you launch a program, launching it again later is faster... That said it matters so much less with SSDs these days. So ya, no need to go crazy with the extra RAM. 64GB isn't going to make your computer magically faster, but it is always better to have too much than too little. Better to have 16GB when your OS+BG apps+game wants 11GB, leaving 5 wasted than to have 8GB and have the system have to page stuff out and be slow.

Really RAM is one of those where having enough is one of the most important things for performance, but once you have enough, more doesn't help. The reason to have more than enough is incase the requirement for "enough" raises :D

LOL no....he even warns the idiots and noobs on most pages there could be adverse effects. It was still useful for Windows 7, but 10 I don't know about. If you don't know what you are doing and not able to fix it then the tutorials are not for you.

I will stick with useless since XP days. Go back and turn off all he recommends and look at the 100MB of ram you saved your system from using and now things that eventually you may need to fix, or turn back on, it is more hassle than it is worth now. I know, i tried it in Win 7 days and like many, finally said not worth it.

I will stick with useless since XP days. Go back and turn off all he recommends and look at the 100MB of ram you saved your system from using and now things that eventually you may need to fix, or turn back on, it is more hassle than it is worth now. I know, i tried it in Win 7 days and like many, finally said not worth it.

In addition, the saving of 100MB meat a lot more back in the day, as you had a total of 256MB ram in an entry-level system in the early Windows XP days. Saving 100MB is pretty worthless today (when $100 systems are shipping with 4GB ram).

Yeah, Windows LTSC for gamers: For when you want something as complicated as getting AAA games working on Linux!

LTSC runs games same as Windows Home or Pro. The only game I know for sure it has trouble with is Forza since that's a Microsoft game and requires the Microsoft Store. There might be other Microsoft games that require the store. Even so you can add the store to LTSC and some people do. Of course you can't legally run LTSC without a volume license which is cost prohibitive. That being the case can make it a moot point for some. Doesn't cause a problem for me though.

...you will want to be aware that at some point the LTS* distributions will no longer be supported by NVIDIA / AMD and some other drivers and other gaming centric issues will arise down the road as it ages.

There is a bit of a dead zone with drivers and software. There will be a year between the expiration of 1809 and the next release of LTSC. I have no idea how that will impact things since this is my first experience with LTSC, I was on win7 before. Though I've read lots of reports of people running LTSB for extended periods without issue.

Well the thing is my LTSC instance is quiet when I'm not doing anything. I have a relative who runs Windows Home and the drive light never stops flashing on that machine, it's always doing something. When looking at the task manager detail tab I've got about half the number of processes loaded in comparison to that machine. But that's not the only reason I like it better, it's just cleaner and more simple. I really don't need Candy Crush and all those other goofy apps on the start menu nor do I need Cortana doing internet searches from the taskbar for me. There's a lot of stuff I don't have to undo that I would undo because it's not there to begin with.

In any case I'm not trying to convince anyone one way or the other, the question was posed about using it. Forget about it or look into it. It does have some benefits which I appreciate. Debating one way or the other is kind of fruitless, just try it and see for yourself. It can be installed and run without activation barring some minor limitations.

Doesn't matter what you want to stick with and thought was a hassle. There was a need and somebody created a website for it. The topic wanted to know if there was something lighter than Windows 10 and I offered a link to show how to make it less resource intensive. It's not just about saving a little ram. Don't turn shit off if you don't understand what it does and problem solved. You seem overly sensitive about it LOL.

There is a bit of a dead zone with drivers and software. There will be a year between the expiration of 1809 and the next release of LTSC. I have no idea how that will impact things since this is my first experience with LTSC, I was on win7 before. Though I've read lots of reports of people running LTSB for extended periods without issue.

LTSB was unusable for some games (online) a fair bit before LTSC came out due to some game updates requiring "x" and LTSB not allowing installation of certain updates. It also becomes an issue when you are using new-ish hardware on old-ish LTS* and even the oldest version of drivers won't work. There may be workarounds and stuff for this but I never dug too deep since the alternative of switching to 1809 was much easier.

Microsoft store isn't an issue if you use PowerShell and direct links to software repositories, just Google it if you need to find something specific.

Yeah you can sideload apps. I haven't actually done that, but I'll need to look into at a some point. I'd like to sideload the Intel graphics control panel for my laptop. Right now I'm using an older driver with the pre-UWP control panel, but it would be nice to use a newer one and install the control panel from an appx file. No idea how to get it though. I don't really have issue with the older driver so I haven't looked into it.

Doesn't matter what you want to stick with and thought was a hassle. There was a need and somebody created a website for it. The topic wanted to know if there was something lighter than Windows 10 and I offered a link to show how to make it less resource intensive. It's not just about saving a little ram. Don't turn shit off if you don't understand what it does and problem solved. You seem overly sensitive about it LOL.

Not sensitive at all, your reply of "Lol no.." when "lol yes.." and you admit you do not know about their usefulness in Windows 10. You said it, there "was" a need for it, not anymore. The point of this OP's question was if there is a lighter OS, so yes, it is about saving a little ram and cpu, hence the question to look for a lighter OS no?

Turning off services may do that, it lessens the OS's foot print, however, Viper's guides do not do that much any more to have any real benefit. If your system is so scarce that you need to turn off some services to save a couple hundred MB's of ram or a cpu cycle here and there...you have bigger problems with your computer.

All I was saying is Viper's guides are not useful like they used to be as a response to your post so the OP doesn't waste their time for little to no results, you seem to be the sensitive one in having to defend Viper's guides, when you have no experience even using them with a current OS.

Not sensitive at all, your reply of "Lol no.." when "lol yes.." and you admit you do not know about their usefulness in Windows 10. You said it, there "was" a need for it, not anymore. The point of this OP's question was if there is a lighter OS, so yes, it is about saving a little ram and cpu, hence the question to look for a lighter OS no?

Turning off services may do that, it lessens the OS's foot print, however, Viper's guides do not do that much any more to have any real benefit. If your system is so scarce that you need to turn off some services to save a couple hundred MB's of ram or a cpu cycle here and there...you have bigger problems with your computer.

All I was saying is Viper's guides are not useful like they used to be as a response to your post so the OP doesn't waste their time for little to no results, you seem to be the sensitive one in having to defend Viper's guides, when you have no experience even using them with a current OS.

Your petty response to my original post did not warrant any sort of intellectual discussion. And that is the pot calling the kettle black not knowing if his tweaks are useful in Windows 10 or not. Of course Windows 10 has better memory management than previous operating systems. You keep focusing on memory savings and that is not all they do. If they don't help turn them back on, no harm no foul. I'm a network administrator and its my job to know Windows operating systems. Heck I still turn off Win 10 services that are really not need for my home gaming machine. You keep whining and all I did was offer an option. Wow talk about being triggered. :confused:

You realize Windows 8/10 was designed to run on Windows tablets with less ram and cpu power? There is less O/S overhead than Windows 7?

If you are having performance issues you should look at other things besides your O/S. It is more likely that you have hardware/driver issues or there is background crap running that is bogging down your system.

Your petty response to my original post did not warrant any sort of intellectual discussion. And that is the pot calling the kettle black not knowing if his tweaks are useful in Windows 10 or not. Of course Windows 10 has better memory management than previous operating systems. You keep focusing on memory savings and that is not all they do. If they don't help turn them back on, no harm no foul. I'm a network administrator and its my job to know Windows operating systems. Heck I still turn off Win 10 services that are really not need for my home gaming machine. You keep whining and all I did was offer an option. Wow talk about being triggered. :confused:

Hardly triggered nor petty, I merely replied to your suggestion stating why it may not be a good solution. Not sure why you took my post as if i was attacking you, step back, take a breath and stop thinking people replying are yelling at you in some way and looking to have a pissing contest. Congrats on being a network admin, I too have over 20 years in IT and have my fair share of stories and experiences like many on [H]. And if you want to have an intellectual conversation, then lets, but trying to claim a response did no warrant one when your own response provided no actual details nor benefits as to why the person should use it is not having one either, and trying to claim someone else post is wrong by saying "Lol no..."is hardly intellectual.

Hardly triggered nor petty, I merely replied to your suggestion stating why it may not be a good solution. Not sure why you took my post as if i was attacking you, step back, take a breath and stop thinking people replying are yelling at you in some way and looking to have a pissing contest. Congrats on being a network admin, I too have over 20 years in IT and have my fair share of stories and experiences like many on [H]. And if you want to have an intellectual conversation, then lets, but trying to claim a response did no warrant one when your own response provided no actual details nor benefits as to why the person should use it is not having one either, and trying to claim someone else post is wrong by saying "Lol no..."is hardly intellectual.

That bold part is hardly a description of your first response. I merely offered a suggestion and I guarantee you didn't even bother visiting the website before spouting off those Win 10 tweaks were worthless. Again pot, kettle, black. I don't care if they work great or are worthless but you seem to be trying way to hard to discredit them? Also your tone did not dictate you wanted to have a rational conversation so why would I start one? I don't think people are yelling at me because the ONLY person replying to me was you so maybe start chilling out yourself since you admitted that you never used them after XP. You seem pretty intent on dominating a conversation that was just a suggestion and neither one of us is in a position to say they are good or bad.

That probably means his hard drives are defragmenting in the background, or indexing service is indexing files. Both can be disabled.
This. Windows 10 has several maintenance tasks that are automatically scheduled out of the box to take advantage of your idle time. If your PC is just sitting while it's turned on then you're just wasting electricity. You can turn all of that stuff off like a lot of things if you really want to, but since this stuff only runs during idle time you're not going to be saving resources or gaining back performance if you do.

Well the thing is my LTSC instance is quiet when I'm not doing anything. I have a relative who runs Windows Home and the drive light never stops flashing on that machine, it's always doing something.

Wait, you are complaining about OS performance, while on a HDD?

Sadly Windows is it.
I hope that more devs will move to Vulcan, which would allow much easier porting between OS', and then I could more or less choose to never boot into Windows.
But as long as a majority use DirectX, then Windows will more or less be your only option. The only exception is that certain devs do multi-platform. If you're a Blizzard fan, then virtually all their games are available on macOS (everything except Overwatch essentially). SquareEnix also ports most of their games to macOS (all of the DX games as well as Tomb Raider series, and Hitman series), as does Firaxis (Civ, XCom, etc).
Outside of a few multi-platform devs, again, Windows is it.
If you want AAA gaming, current major FPS titles, then you are more or less forced to be on Windows or current gen consoles.

I find I don't really game much anymore, so it's not a problem for me. I spend far more time doing work or essentially using a browser for entertainment (Netflix, Hulu, etc), so gaming is really limited. It takes a really incredible game to get me to boot into Windows. The last one was The Outer Worlds, which was fantastic. Obsidian is still tier 1. I don't think another title will interest me until Cyberpunk 2077.

Last edited:
Sadly, people don't want "gaming"... they want "Window specific gaming".

That's not going to change until gaming companies (that make games people want) make things less "Windows specific".

And, until then, you're pretty much going to have to follow whatever Microsoft says with regards to what OS version is supported, noting that eventually, older games will not be supported (just the way it goes).

The other alternative is to adopt games that aren't windows specific.

Back