Far from Windows 10, which OS is for gaming?

why would they when 90% use windows.
That number isn't nearly as important as the number on the platform whom game compared to other platforms, which of course will still be predominantly Windows based.
However, there are 3 console manufacturers and there are winners and losers every cycle when considering number of people on those platforms. I would argue that there are just as many people on alternative platforms that do some level of gaming and the games programmed for Linux/macOS won't go away whereas a console does go away.
Steam and old games are still profitable for years as residual income. Which making console games can't happen other than if there is digital distribution and backwards-compatibility.
-
I made note of this, but if devs would just program for Vulkan then porting to basically every console and PC OS would only require minimal effort and they'd make a lot more money. Because even 10% of the market is access to millions more people.

I made note of this, but if devs would just program for Vulkan then porting to basically every console and PC OS would only require minimal effort and they'd make a lot more money. Because even 10% of the market is access to millions more people.

Actually, if there was competition, this would happen because marketing wise you fight to get the extra 1% when markets have not changed much.

(which is to say that the opposite of a free market is at work when it comes to gaming, likely)

Not sure Windows is the only choice. Proton has made thousands of Win10 games playable on Linux.

Okay, there are some games that don't work (especially multiplayer) but more work than you may think.

I dont game on linux, but I have enough random driver problems as it is that I think ill just stick to windows for gaming. Personally I use the LTSC version of windows, its a bit more stripped down out of the box and seems to not constantly be in a state of needing updates.

Also works well in a VM for GPU passthrough.

Since we're all throwing in our 2 cents...

I use a bog standard 10 Home installation with all the crap on and on my 2020 era system, it works just fine. Shoot, that might be too rebel for some of this crowd. :p

Since we're all throwing in our 2 cents...

I use a bog standard 10 Home installation with all the crap on and on my 2020 era system, it works just fine. Shoot, that might be too rebel for some of this crowd. :p

Win 10 Pro here, not having turned anything off...works like a charm...this is not 1995...go figure ;)

Not true.

The first problem is you have totally different graphical backends to work with. Just because the API is the same doesn't mean you can copy-past the graphical generation between Windows and Linux; that still has to be re-engineered from the ground up. This is a PITA as Linux's developer tools are lacking compared to MSVC [GCC doesn't compare, and never will]. And that's before considering all the developer features Microsoft put in MSVC to aid in DirectX development that don't exist for Vulkan because no one will bother to spend the money to make them.

Simply put: It's easier (and more profitable) to build against Windows, then just tell users to "run through WINE". Now devs have full Linux support without having to develop or support it; it's WINEs problem from that point on.

The issue is also support cost. While many engines allow easy export to Linux, if you release with it you have to support it, and that comes with a cost.

Just a heads up.i been playing Windows game's in Linux Via stream patron and lutris wine and so far I have not noticed any performance hits at all.

Os is Pop os by the way

so get an enterprise product for home gaming?! make sense :rolleyes:

Windows LTSB or Ent is actually fine, because it does not have all the bloat installed that Home/Pro have, LTSB doesnt include the store, Edge, Xbox Services,doesnt install candy crush et cetera.

Windows LTSB or Ent is actually fine, because it does not have all the bloat installed that Home/Pro have, LTSB doesnt include the store, Edge, Xbox Services,doesnt install candy crush et cetera.

It's great for day to day but see earlier in the thread for my issues with LTSB / LTSC for gaming over time.

Back