Far Cry Video Card

DRJ1014

Supreme [H]ardness
I want to play Far Cry but i have a FX 5200 Ultra and i know it wont support it. what would be a video card that would support it that isnt that much?

spend the little extra for a Powercolor 9800SE with 256 bit bus and you have a very good chance of changing it to a Pro with the softmod. at the very least itll be the fastest in that pricerange w/o a mod

far cry plays pretty good on my 5200.

but ABSOLUTELY no eye candy is allowed.

you'd only get lucky with a 9800se
grab a 9700pro off ebay or if you really cant afford a bit more get a 9600XT

I just ordered a refurbished 9600XT off of newegg.com for $129

i have long held the belief that Bob sagat is the anti christ ;)
for 130? that is a bit low and not at all worth the upgrade from your 5200U id wait till after the NV40 hits and pounce on a 5900XT but if you even by then wont be about to fork out more than 130 id just save your money

i may just buy my friends 5900. he says he wants atleast 100 for it so ill prbaly do that.

Originally posted by DRJ1014
i may just buy my friends 5900. he says he wants atleast 100 for it so ill prbaly do that.

100 for a 5900 is a steal. I would get it asap if I were you.

hes just holding onto it and all of his friends have the 9800 XT Asus and ati radeon so its not going anywhere :D

Just for the sake of reference, I'd like to share that I played Far Cry on an Athlon 1800+, 512MB RAM, 128MB Sapphire Radeon 8500LE, Audigy 1 setup today, and the game ran quite well at the "Medium" setting (which still looks pretty good).

far cry on a fx 5200 with playable frame rates:

farcry.jpg

eh, it still is pretty impressive, even just because of the draw distances.

the water looks like the blanket i sleep with:eek:

my friend has a 5200 and he plays(tries to) UT2K4 demo on it....no comment on that

Try finding a 9800non-pro (not se). SHould be in that price range, and runs really good with most of the eye candy on very high (all but shadows)

I was running FarCry for the first time today on my comp in sig...

Yes that is an GeForce2 MX400 64mb sdram video card.

Of course I was at the lowest possible settings.

Originally posted by retardedchicken
the water looks like the blanket i sleep with:eek:

my friend has a 5200 and he plays(tries to) UT2K4 demo on it....no comment on that

i play ut 04 on my 5200 ultra and it runs great. every once in a while ill get a lag but thats like one time in a whole game

Hey DRJ, I get 500Marks less in 2001 and about the same in 03 with my main system. Also good screenshot, I wanted to post one from my 9700Pro machine for comparisons sake but I dont know where I can upload pictures.

lol no thats chuckm1020 picture i wish that was mine though

ya with a 9800 pro lets see you do that with a 5200 ultra huh :cool:

nvidia video cards don´t like Far Cry really so that 9600XT for 130$ is a pretty good choice.

It runs pretty good on my machine. Theres spots where it gets choppy. But I definatley have 0 AA on and don't go above 1024x768. But everything else is set to max.

Just don't expect framerates like you would see in other games.

So what kind of framerate are you guys getting on 9800 Pros and XTs? I have the 9800 Pro 256 (which is actually the R360 core model) and want to know what to expect if I run the game at 1280x1024.

From what I hear/see it seems like the graphics for this game are more of a pig than the results show they should be.

IT plays pretty good for me on my overclocked gforce 3 ti-200. Playing at 1024x768 with medium settings.

It plays ok on a ti4200. Medium settings I get mostly 30-50 FPS. But is has dropped into the 20's in some situations. Totally playable. High settings drops it down to 20-35 FPS average.

Back