Far Cry New Dawn Launches Today

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Today is a good day to be a post apocalyptic FPS fan with a PC. As we previously reported, Metro Exodus launches today with a refreshingly simple release schedule, Bethesda is continuing their efforts to patch up Fallout 76, RPGs like Atomic Heart and The Outer Worlds are just over the horizon, and we're only a few weeks away from The Division 2's open beta. But, if that's not enough, Ubisoft is launching a post-apocalyptic spin on the Far Cry series today. The company says Far Cry New Dawn unlocks at 11 AM CST for Steam users, and that the PC version of the game weighs in at a hefty 39.2GB with the HD texture pack.

Check out the launch trailer here.

Seventeen years after a global nuclear catastrophe, civilization re-emerges from the chaos to find a world dramatically changed. In a post-apocalyptic Hope County, Montana, the remaining populace has gathered into different groups, each with their own rules for survival. In this new world order, the vicious Highwaymen, led by twin sisters Mickey and Lou, travel from place to place bleeding people dry of all available resources. As the Survivors try to defend their lands against the Highwaymen’s relentless onslaught, it’s up to you to come to their aid and lead the fight. In the latest installment of the award-winning Far Cry franchise, you are the last line of defense in a transformed, post-apocalyptic Hope County. Help the community of Survivors grow stronger, craft a makeshift arsenal through Turf Wars and cross-country Expeditions, and form unexpected alliances to fight for survival in a dangerous new frontier.

This is little more than an expansion pack for Far Cry 5. Hard pass. I'm getting really sick of Ubisoft's yearly sequels, and this seems like the laziest of them all. I hope this game fails badly and someone at Ubi figures out this needs to stop. They used to have some great IPs, and they are running every single one into the ground.

This is little more than an expansion pack for Far Cry 5. Hard pass. I'm getting really sick of Ubisoft's yearly sequels, and this seems like the laziest of them all. I hope this game fails badly and someone at Ubi figures out this needs to stop. They used to have some great IPs, and they are running every single one into the ground.
Yeah I’d be way more interested if they were giving this the Blood Dragon treatment since that about seems to be what it is.

Well, it is also priced more like an expansion pack than an independent game, so there is that.

From the looks of the trailer it needs more comedy. I mean just look back at Blood Dragon and copy. This is not hard.

I actually don't mind this one given that even the Deluxe Edition (which frankly shouldn't exist in my opinion for a title like this) is only about $40 (on reputable sales pages). It really seems like an actual old school expansion - it is a similar setting, time shifted, with new content that expands beyond the original while also following up on some story leads. If its a really poor implementation that's one thing but looking at the design I can't really fault it if it is done well.

They do need to take a break from it and develop some newer IPs. Far Cry got stale after the third game. Give it a rest.

They do need to take a break from it and develop some newer IPs. Far Cry got stale after the third game. Give it a rest.

Yup. Far Cry 3 was the last Far Cry game I finished (and even that I couldn't bring myself to finish the DLC). FC4 went unfinished, I skipped Primal, and FC5 again remains unfinished and I'm not sure if I'll ever get back to it. Ubisoft's current strategy is to make big worlds full of uninspired side-quests. Until they figure out that 20 hours of quality gameplay beats 50 hours of uninspiring, repetitive gameplay (or that you can have 50+ hours of quality gameplay if you don't release titles annually), I'm done giving Ubisoft my money.

Well, it is also priced more like an expansion pack than an independent game, so there is that.

$40 is still too much for an obvious cash grab. Wasn't Blood Dragon like $15 when it released? This might have more content, but it seems a lot less original. Looks like a $20 release to me.

I'll probably skip this, I really do think I just played it with a different palette. While I'll be a pariah and say I actually enjoyed FC5 for what it was - I feel I'm done with it. Adding hot pink flowers and edgy twins as the antagonists doesn't really make it any different a game. I know they have to pay the artists and quest folks - but this feels like a 20 dollar expansion to me.

I'll probably skip this, I really do think I just played it with a different palette. While I'll be a pariah and say I actually enjoyed FC5 for what it was - I feel I'm done with it. Adding hot pink flowers and edgy twins as the antagonists doesn't really make it any different a game. I know they have to pay the artists and quest folks - but this feels like a 20 dollar expansion to me.

I'm with you, while it had its problems Farcry 5 was pretty great. I was really excited thinking Farcry New Dawn was gonna be a full game. In my stupid optimism I honestly thought somehow Ubisoft has this amazing idea to develop the games in parallel for this big two part storyline that would add some closure to Far Cry 5. I watched few videos and while it looks neat, the embarrassing thing is they used the toxic stuff as an excuse to limit the map. Its Farcry. Literally the primary reason you play is for exploring this big giant map.

That said I feel comfortable saying I'll pick it up at $20 in a couple weeks. I dont expect that $40 price tag to hold.

I very much enjoyed Far Cry 5. While I am interested in this, I think I'll wait until the end of the year to pick it up. So many other great games right now have my attention.

I enjoyed FC5 but the only reason I got it is because of a video card purchase someone else made that didn't want the game.

this might be entertaining but it is a far cry (heh get it) from being worth my 40 bucks. Maybe 10 bucks in a few months.

I very much enjoyed Far Cry 5. While I am interested in this, I think I'll wait until the end of the year to pick it up. So many other great games right now have my attention.

This seems to be "second christmas" into the next month for big game releases. Anthem and The Div2 are big plays. I am simultaneously looking forward to The Div2 and dreading it.

<The Division 1 Aside / confession>
This is a stupid confession moment, but there was one "found audio tape" moment in The Division 1 which almost ruined me, as a parent. There was a kid on the phone holed up in a house, talking to his dad. During the call, the gangs start banging on the door, threatening, and then the dad frantically tells the little kid to get the gun from the other room, obvious fear in his voice. The kid is scared, confused, and the call cuts off with the panicked "DAD!" exclamation on the phone as you hear a door bust open.

It made me very sad, and I had to shoot a horrifically large number of in-game AHoles in the eye for that. I actually decided my next High Value Target I had in a quest was involved, and I pistol whipped them to death. It was an uncomfortable, horrible, and cathartic moment. It triggered me in a very primal way, even though I know it was fiction in a game.

But I suppose kudos for making me actually involved in the environment, even if a little heavy-handed, eh? If not quite up there with watching The Road, where I went through an entire box of tissues.
</confession>

Last edited:
Coming soon for "free" to an Xbox Live or PS+ subscription near you...

I really despised the end of FarCry5 so this is like salt in a old wound.
thougt nice change of pace to do something untraditional, think both endings resulted in prety much same outcome so. wouldnt mind to stay high on the bliss with faith seed in a bunker compare to getting incinirated by radiation :p overall enjoyed it, most fun was treasure hunting and gunz blazing lol. but graphics seem very grainy/unclear, almost like if u would run it on console. while good, not as good as grw. too bad no crytek to push graphical boundaries. got it for 15 euro just now :p sometimes it pays of to wait i guess.

Got 32 seconds through the trailer and my first and last thought was, why bother. Unless they continue the story from the original Far Cry, which was the only good one, in my opinion, I am not interested. In fact, I bet the original Far Cry would look great in 4k.

Back