Far Cry & FX5900 = how pretty?

Thunder888

Limp Gawd
Hi guys - need some help.

I want to buy Far Cry, but don't want to turn off all the eye candy to run it on my card. Will this card (check sig) be able to run Far Cry with some of the settings at max? Reason I'm asking is that there are a lot of ghost stories on the Forums about the high requirements for the game.

I'm more than happy to play at 1024x768, or even 800x600. Just don't want to shell out the moola only to run it a crap settings. :D

I appreciate that this may seem like a dumbass question, but I need the advice. Thanks.

It will run fine at 1024, it does however like 1 gig of system ram, or you'll see lags as it loads more of the maps as you play.

Far Cry looks good on the 5900. I just recently upgraded from a 5900.

Works like a champ! I had a 5900U, You should have no problem, besides once you get into the game you'll crap your pants and forget about everything else :D

I've got a 5900NU clocked at 450/900. WIth 2xAA and 4xAF enabled it's quite playable in 1024x768 using PS 1.1 or 800x600 using PS 2.0. You'd want to lower settings for MP, since it does chop a bit in spots. Actually most of the game is ok using PS 2.0 w/ 2xAA and 4xAF in 1024x768, there are just certain indoor areas where all the pixel shaded metal makes things get really slow on 5xxx series cards.
The graphics blew me away the first time I started it up, and that's before I tweaked (increased) all the settings. It'll look great on your card. Sure it'd look better on a 9800/X800/6800 card, but there's no way you'll be stuck w/ low settings.

Thanks guys! :D

I bought the game this weekend - holy sh@#. Damn straight - it blew me away. Hell, if that's the way new games are going, it's damn good to be a gamer. More than half of the time I'm just checking out the scenery, it's absolutely beautiful.

Quick question: How do you switch between PS1.1 and 2.0? I'm currently running about 1/2 of the settings on very high and the rest on high @ 1024x768 (I think it's environment quality, water, AA & something else on very high, with the rest on high)

I read something about changing the H20 to ultra high - is that it?

I'm currently at the fortress behind the research labs where you run into them crazy-ass monkeys for the first time. Yup, I'm crapping myself around every corner. :eek:

:D

Changing the Lighting Quality to Very High enables PS 2.0 usually, but I'm not so sure about the 5x00 FX series cards doing full PS 2.0. Also, set Texture Quality to Very High for all the bump-mapped goodness :D .

Sweet - I'll experiment this afternoon with all the settings to see if I can't tweak the game a bit.

Thanks! :D

I read in some or other Forum that lowering the shadow detail really improves the performance without noticably affecting the gameplay too much. I'll give it a bash.

The water in FC is absolutely amazing. It almost feels like crawling on the beach when you're sneeking up on an enemy. Beautiful :D

yeh its a very good game...the best i have played in a long long time...

once u have completed it u get a stats mode that allows you to play any level and it gives you stats on rounds fired, enemies killed etc etc...which is kinda cool...

yeah its pretty good...

i suggest you play it on Challenging difficulty level....it will keep you going for a while and some of the later levels get pretty tough...i am sure you will enjoy it very much....

the game gets crazier and crazier as you get farther. it is a relly awesome game, i was up until 2 in the morning last night playing it, and i have to be in work at 9:15 today

I've played with the settings last night and I've set everything on very high (water ultra high) with trilinear filtering, AA at high (4x), shadows at high @ 1024x768, and it runs very playable. Don't know what the FPS count is, but it's not bothering me kicking A55! :D

I've tried to install the 1.1 patch, but the installer says it can't pick up the previous installation? WTF? Any ideas about this. Registry editing, maybe? :p

I see that the v1.2 patch will really help Nvidia cards, so its got me worried. Help? :(

Now I'm wondering, can I run at these settings because of the lower resolution, or what? I thought I won't be able to get playable FPS at these high settings. Have I got the cat by the balls?

Hell yeah - I'm also getting myself deeper into s#it by playing FC and doing nothing else. Oh well, life's a journey, not a destination. ;)

Any idea when patch V1.2 comes out?

i finished far cry at 3 in the morning last night. the last 2 levals i think are impossiable with out god mode. i tried them a bunch of times, and just ended up using god mode to get through. i was not to thrilled with the end of the game, but it was alot of fun to play, so i feel that i got my monies worth out of it. and the multi player is fun too :)

I know what you mean compslckr. I don't have the patience to play the little steam engine: I think I can, I think I can...

When I'm on the verge of chucking the fukcing PC through the window out of frustration in a game, then it's time for God mode. Amen.

I hope you're not a surgeon or heavy vehicle operator or something requiring 100% concentration :D

Good choice though - work versus gaming = gaming wins :D

Back