Far Cry 5 Video Card Performance Review @ [H]

I would definitely like to echo this opinion.

I always thought PC gaming was all about no-holds-barred performance. Pinnacle of performance where possible. Compromise is the land of consoles, not PC.

Yet the review seems to be trying to satisfy itself at 60fps. While I get that buying say a Vega64 or 1080 is for 1440p gaming, what about gamers who don't want 1440p but wants 1080p at 144Hz refresh rate or better? Or 1080Ti at 1440p to see if it can attain more than 100fps for the 100Hz monitors? When I look at the competitive gaming scene, I see gamers still chasing the highest fps they can.

I get that not every gamer will be chasing the highest fps they can, and with Freesync/G-Sync, the need reduces drastically. But aren't we basically saying we are settling on a performance compromise there? It's like saying doing 50 burpees and quitting, instead of pushing 100 if you can.

It all comes down to money. And right now, prices suck. I COULD afford to go all out, but do I want to? Not really.

How fast can you afford to go? Every person is going to give you a different answer.

Great article. I loved that you used a wide range of cards. Not all of us are running ultra high-end halo product cards. Your average PC gamer is probably using something more like a 1060 or 1070 (still way above the consoles) and articles like this give them an idea of what to expect in games.

I would definitely like to echo this opinion.

I always thought PC gaming was all about no-holds-barred performance. Pinnacle of performance where possible. Compromise is the land of consoles, not PC.

Yet the review seems to be trying to satisfy itself at 60fps. While I get that buying say a Vega64 or 1080 is for 1440p gaming, what about gamers who don't want 1440p but wants 1080p at 144Hz refresh rate or better? Or 1080Ti at 1440p to see if it can attain more than 100fps for the 100Hz monitors? When I look at the competitive gaming scene, I see gamers still chasing the highest fps they can.

I get that not every gamer will be chasing the highest fps they can, and with Freesync/G-Sync, the need reduces drastically. But aren't we basically saying we are settling on a performance compromise there? It's like saying doing 50 burpees and quitting, instead of pushing 100 if you can.

Certainly in highly competitive fps types high refresh rates do matter. In Far Cry though as long as its a smooth experience you might as well max the settings as much as you can. I really don't see the need to run 60+fps in this title as it's mostly a single player game with some multiplayer aspects. I don't see a console running this game at 4k with max settings, which is something you can almost do with a Vega 64, or you can with a 1080ti. Sure run at 1080p enjoy the fast response times, or run at 4k for the full visual effect and a more immersive game play.

I enjoy higher frame rates when I play competitively, but when I am not I enjoy a smooth max detail experience.

Reactions: noko
like this
Personally I think there are too many obsessed with FPS. Don't get me wrong, I understand the obsession I just don't think that's end all be all. Unless performance tests are going to be run on a huge array of setups. You have to pick a base. To me if your base is 100 FPS with everything on ULTRA then you alienate people who are not rich enough or for some reason cannot buy better hardware.

I mean I have a 6th gen i7, a 1080, SSD and a 4k, 60hz, G-Sync monitor. I run the game at 4k with pretty much everything on ULTRA. Although I'm aware I'm between 40 and 60 FPS most all the time. That I'm not constantly at a desired 60 fps and I don't know or care what the exact number is. Why, because I go by how the game feels, not by the numbers. What I know is I enjoy playing on my setup. The game feels good to me when I run it. Would I like a bigger, better more bad ass rig. Sure, but like many of you I have a wife. She only knows the number of dollars I spend on my rig. She doesn't give two cents about 50 vs 60 vs 100 fps numbers.

Ive been playing on a 4790k and 1080ti Ultra no AA and 1.5x res scale and it runs between 80-144. There is the occasional dip to 60, but nothing to write home about. I fall in the crowd of 144 or bust, lol!

Back