Far Cry 5 Video Card Performance Preview @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Far Cry 5 Video Card Performance Preview

Far Cry 5 is finally in retail, and in this preview of video card performance we will compare performance of a few video cards, using real gameplay. This will give you an idea what you need to play Far Cry 5, what image quality settings are playable, and what resolutions work best with each video card. Our full evaluation will come later.

Thanks for the preview guys -- totally looking forward to the full evaluation in the near future!

Really interesting to see vega performing so well in this title. While it won't hit 60fps in 4k anytime soon, anything below that is looking better everyday from a gamer standpoint. Does this mean that the Intel/AMD partnership will deliver top notch performance in their new hybrid offerings? No, but it's a step in the right direction for sure if this is a sign of what's to come. However with the impending refresh from Nvidia this year, it may just neutralize their mutual benefits for consumers.

I've been impressed with how the game runs so far, really crisp, almost no low frames, even in apocalyptic gunfights. Far Cry always tickles the right itches for me and it's been hassle free since launch. Thanks for the write up, great comparisons!

RPM paying dividends, always nice when a feature gets used properly.

Thanks for the review here. Nice-looking title, runs well, but nothing envelope pushing. Apart from the nice Vega performance, nothing surprising.

Here's hoping the Dunia engine gets a major overhall for FC6, since FC5 is only very marginally better looking than its predecessor (released 3 1/2 years ago), IMO.

Compared to Wildlands it doesn't look that good, even on Ultra there is obvious pop in, and detailed objects and undergrowth only appears about 100ft in front of you, which looks especially terrible when flying. Get in a helicopter and the terrain is nothing but a barren heightmap with only simplified buildings and a few low poly trees.

For those gaming on a GTX1080 via a TV, give 4K with 70% resolution scaling a try. Best of both worlds and pretty similar to 1440p.

So far my 980ti is running everything on ultra at 3440x1440. The only issue I am experiencing is I get a "hitch" in game play every time I pick up an item in a house or prepper location. I have not updated my drivers yet, so hopefully that will solve it.
Thankfully the FOV can be adjusted. It felt a bit narrow using the default at that resolution.

Compared to Wildlands it doesn't look that good, even on Ultra there is obvious pop in, and detailed objects and undergrowth only appears about 100ft in front of you, which looks especially terrible when flying. Get in a helicopter and the terrain is nothing but a barren heightmap with only simplified buildings and a few low poly trees.

Yeah flying makes it obvious how many performance shortcuts they took. Game is still beautiful on foot and forests feel very dense in most areas which is nice. Although trees break and disappear the instant your vehicle touches it. What is this 2001?

I find the way the trees "pop in" when running through the forest extremely distracting. As you run up on a tree it has this odd shimmering effect as it load a more detailed version. It really puts me off. Also, movement in the Dunia engine feels extremely dated in the way it accelerates your avatar. Reminds me of playing FPS game from the mid-90s.

I'm playing at 1440p (G-Sync) maxed out and get a steady 55-65 fps...overall the image quality is pretty good...I'm surprised at how much I like the Montana setting...typical Ubisoft game with tons of side activities and missions but it all comes together fairly well...I like how the Seed brothers are used vary sparingly throughout...I'm only in the 2nd region but I'm enjoying the game a lot

We going to see impressions from CFX and SLI systems as well? I've seen a few comments that it performs pretty well, but I'd like to see what you guys think

I find the graphics to be stunning one minute and a little disappointing the next. They're fantastic in enclosed settings (especially in the intro for the game) but the pop-in and shimmering cookie cutter vegetation detract from it a little. I love the water and rocks, though.
That said, I really appreciate the consistency of the framerate. I'm willing to cope with a few graphical issues as long as I don't see massive FPS ups and downs.

The only issue I am experiencing is I get a "hitch" in game play every time I pick up an item in a house or prepper location. I have not updated my drivers yet, so hopefully that will solve it.
Thankfully the FOV can be adjusted. It felt a bit narrow using the default at that resolution.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one experiencing this hitch, mine will act like it's frozen for 5-10 seconds (audio continues though) before it finally snaps back to ~100fps. Mine only does it randomly though (maybe 4 times in 7 hours so far), haven't been able to pin-point any certain thing causing it. I'm running the latest drivers as well, can check the version when I'm home from work.

Also going to give the FOV lowering a try too, I it a bit disorientating at times, especially in these tiny prepper locations.

Game looks and performs great. 4K @ Max feels like 60FPS most of the time on my desktop using a 1080ti and 1080p at Ultra settings feels like 60FPS for the most part on my laptop with a 1060 GB. I think they optimized the game really well and the game is fantastic thus-far. Even if they took some shortcuts here and there as noticeable sometimes with the draw distance, the game is optimized will for a wide array of configurations.

My 980 with a bit of overclock sits at 60fps vsync on Ultra at 1920x1200. I set the FOV to 90 before I started, 75 didn't sound right. The graphics may be more of the same, but it looks awesome and considering the age of my machine I'm thrilled that I get to still play new games. The story forcibly progresses faster than I prefer from a sandbox, but so far it hasn't been a detriment. I just hope I can clear a region's map before I'm forced to finish that section of the story.

I'm running this game on liquid Vega64 everything maxed out with an old 17.12.1 driver. It runs great without any weird crap loading the trees. Everything is just there. I love the lighting in this game especially while by a body of water at sunrise. At 2560 x 1440.
the graphics may not look as well as WTC, but the lighting effects are top notch for a DX11 title. Hunting with a scoped .50 and a silencer is so much fun or pulling the 100+ pound fish is awesome even though the character movement is as mentioned somewhat dated.

It's rarely mentioned, but HDR is well done in this game. You'll probably have to turn the brightness down a little (it's jacked pretty high by default), but the sky, lights, and reflections look terrific.

1.) It is a preview 2.) Time

Full evaluation will explore it on both cards.
will you also be testing 1080 P performance with lower tier cards such as the GTX 1050 ti \ 1060 AND amd RX 570 \580 ?

i mean not all of us can afford a vega or 1080 ti card with the way GPU prices have gotten out of control ..or let alone find em some times

Awesome review, as always...thank you!

Been playing it exclusively this past weekend and defeated the first region. I gotta say, I am highly impressed with how optimized FC5 is. I'm averaging around 90fps, with a minimum of 54fps at the lowest. CPU and GPU at stock clocks.

This is really the first AAA game I have purchased and the first "taxing" thing I've played on my new 8700k/1080ti/Gsync 1440 system.

Wow- it looks great.

I cranked the resolution up to 200% for laughs, and turned the FPS counter off.

Played it that way for a couple hours, turned fps counter back on and was getting 45 fps :D

Can't tell if Gsync is so good, or PC MASTER RACE is wasted on me :p

This is really the first AAA game I have purchased and the first "taxing" thing I've played on my new 8700k/1080ti/Gsync 1440 system.

Wow- it looks great.

I cranked the resolution up to 200% for laughs, and turned the FPS counter off.

Played it that way for a couple hours, turned fps counter back on and was getting 45 fps :D

Can't tell if Gsync is so good, or PC MASTER RACE is wasted on me :p

Likewise! It's pretty but have to agree that some of the actual game play is herky jerky. The airplane controls are absolutely abysmal....reminds me of that next to impossible GTA: San Andreas toy airplane mission. Could have easily resolved by giving a mouse control option like the Battlefield games.

Having fun with it though, just need to clear Faith's district.

This kinda reminds me of the old 7970. After AMD had time to optimize, it just about caught up, and for some games passed the old GTX680.

Performs really well at 4k max settings on my 1070. Averaging around 45 fps with it dipping down to 40.

At 1080p, it is around 90 fps.

It looks like crap at 1080p unfortunately. All the anti aliasing methods are poor as well.

I would prefer to play at a higher Hz, but 4k is capped at 60 and my 1080p high refresh rate looks so blurry in comparison.

120 fov is my preferred setting on my 27" 4k monitor, but going to a smaller screen makes it feel far to fisheyed.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one experiencing this hitch, mine will act like it's frozen for 5-10 seconds (audio continues though) before it finally snaps back to ~100fps. Mine only does it randomly though (maybe 4 times in 7 hours so far), haven't been able to pin-point any certain thing causing it. I'm running the latest drivers as well, can check the version when I'm home from work.

Also going to give the FOV lowering a try too, I it a bit disorientating at times, especially in these tiny prepper locations.

The hitch I am experiencing only lasts about 2 to 3 seconds at the most. I have pinpointed it to every time I pick up an item that is not from a corpse, or when I am awarded skill points and the progression bar appears on the screen. I will update my Nvidia drivers to the latest tonight. Hopefully that is the issue.

I have to agree with others who say the pop in is noticeable. The graphics do not blow me away but few games do these day it would seem. I have encountered several gameplay bugs. One being when I was trying to rescue Boomer. First the cage would not open. I reloaded multiple times and tried different solutions until it just decided to open. Then he would not leave the cage. Again after restarting and running around doing things, he finally just magically decided to run his script.
I am having fun with the game for now (previous FC games except FC1, I have gotten bored with before I killed the main boss and would just finish the story and never go back to it).

I was very surprised at the performance on my GTX 980 @ 1440p on Ultra /w high shadows & TAA. I'm getting a constant 57-60 fps (vsync on). Although I do have it OC'd to 1490 on the core & +300 on the memory.

Thanks for the review, I will switch it to SMAA and see if there is any boost in performance.

TAA blurs everything. My settings are at Ultra + SMAA + 1.1 resolution scale to somewhat mitigate the jaggies while keeping those framerates up. What a crazy, beautiful game!

Well, I updated my drivers and I still get the frame hitch when I pick up items or get exp points for completing a mission. It does not seem as bad but it is still there. It almost feels like it is taking a second to save the changes to my hard drive (which is on a separate drive (HDD) than my OS(SSD). Other than the bugs in missions, I would not say it is unplayable, just annoying at times.

Crosspost from the other thread, but incase anyone finds this interesting:

I loaded this up on my wife's Pentium G4440/1060 3GB rig.

It loads and runs just fine.

However,

Processor was pegged at 100%, GPU at about 35%. :LOL:

This was with settings on low and 1440p. 1080p looked like crap.

Honestly, I'm impressed with the G4440, the game optimization and how good "low" settings look.

The FPS was just too low for my wife to be playable.

TAA blurs everything. My settings are at Ultra + SMAA + 1.1 resolution scale to somewhat mitigate the jaggies while keeping those framerates up. What a crazy, beautiful game!

Interesting- Not really sure what resolution scale means (not all games have this setting, I guess)
Im running mine at "2" right now.

Interesting- Not really sure what resolution scale means (not all games have this setting, I guess)
Im running mine at "2" right now.
It's a pixel multiplier, either by total pixels or vertical and horizontal pixels depending on the game. I think most games it's the latter, so a setting of 2 would effectively be rendering at 5120x2880 if you set the resolution to 2560x1440.

This kinda reminds me of the old 7970. After AMD had time to optimize, it just about caught up, and for some games passed the old GTX680.
7970 was released 4 months before the 680. The 680 was only faster in TWIMTBP titles, especially Arkham City where they overdid tessellation to purposefully gimp AMD.

7970 was released 4 months before the 680. The 680 was only faster in TWIMTBP titles, especially Arkham City where they overdid tessellation to purposefully gimp AMD.

This complete statement it's awfully wrong. lol, you need to verify or refresh your mind, the 7970 was only able to compete with the GTX 680 after the 7970 GHZ edition was released and was only under certain tittles and sometimes at 2560x1440 due the awful driver CPU overhead Tahiti had...

This complete statement it's awfully wrong. lol, you need to verify or refresh your mind, the 7970 was only able to compete with the GTX 680 after the 7970 GHZ edition was released and was only under certain tittles and sometimes at 2560x1440 due the awful driver CPU overhead Tahiti had...

I owned a 7970. I owned a 680 4GB, and I also owned 7950 crossfire. I owned these cards thru Dec 2013 when I got 290 crossfire. I stand by my statement.

Arkham City was shit on AMD. Battlefield 3 was even. Dirt 3 was even.

If I look at the Dx11 titles that 7970 performed worse on, they were all TWIMTBP.

Of course, looking now, the 7970 is a much better card today than the 680.

I owned a 7970. I owned a 680 4GB, and I also owned 7950 crossfire. I owned these cards thru Dec 2013 when I got 290 crossfire. I stand by my statement.

Arkham City was shit on AMD. Battlefield 3 was even. Dirt 3 was even.

If I look at the Dx11 titles that 7970 performed worse on, they were all TWIMTBP.

Of course, looking now, the 7970 is a much better card today than the 680.

maybe for you but NOPE.

The Ultimate 44 Used Graphics Card Pricing & Benchmark Guide

TL;R they're still ~same in agnostic games

Back