Far Cry 5 - $13.50 - GMG

I need a new game to play.

I liked FC3 and FC4 well enough, and the Primal one had some fun elements. Religious nuts in Montana doesn't sound that exciting to me and much of what I read suggests there were some steps backwards in FC5.

Anyone really enjoy this one?

Its not bad. the scenery change is nice. no more radio towers to climb and unlock. more open-world than 3 or 4. (less mountains/cliffs funneling you into bottlenecks, etc.) Definitely worth $15.

The only downside I found so far is that vehicles are a lot less available. In 3 or 4 they were everywhere. In 5 I find myself on foot walking/running way more than i'd like. Makes getting to objectives much longer.

Its not bad. the scenery change is nice. no more radio towers to climb and unlock. more open-world than 3 or 4. (less mountains/cliffs funneling you into bottlenecks, etc.) Definitely worth $15.

The only downside I found so far is that vehicles are a lot less available. In 3 or 4 they were everywhere. In 5 I find myself on foot walking/running way more than i'd like. Makes getting to objectives much longer.
Hunt [or do loot quests], sell skins, buy helicopter = win.

In for one. Been wanting to play this game. I'll take it at this price point.

Hmm. I like 3 & 4. Just felt like the same game. Price is right considering I enjoyed the rest, but wonder if different enough, or if I can play this type of thing a third time. Hmm...

Thanks,

You can also get the Gold Edition which includes the season pass and the deluxe pack and Farcry 3 for $26 something...

Picked that up and another game on steam, each was $15 for a total of $30, but then $5 off, so final price was $12.50. In case any others are on the fence on a $15 game from steam.

I need a new game to play.

I liked FC3 and FC4 well enough, and the Primal one had some fun elements. Religious nuts in Montana doesn't sound that exciting to me and much of what I read suggests there were some steps backwards in FC5.

Anyone really enjoy this one?
I also enjoy FC3 & 4 once I wrapped my head around the idea that it was a fantasy shooter and not a tactical shooter. I have played both 3 & 4 multiple times but I have to say that personally I wouldn't touch FC5 with a 10 foot pole, there are only like 4 weapons, the rest are variations of the same other weapons, the plot is ok but the being kidnapped out of the blue sucks the big one. I really don't care for the side missions (in 3 or 4 and less in 5) like the racing car thingy so perhaps you do and that is what is fun for you or others but I thought the shooting and the flying was not up to par with the previous titles. the fishing was ok if you are into that sort of thing but I am more into the shooting aspect on a shooter game

I already comment in general gaming, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. The only thing I'd call a step backwards is that the weapons weren't all that interesting. Once you unlock a decent set of guns every else is very samie. They could have gotten a little more creative.

I will say that if you either take offense to religious parody or if that kinda villain aint your cup of tea maybe this isn't for you. I felt the opposite. I don't want to spoil anything but I felt like they didn't make the villains as realistic as they could have been for fear of alienating certain demographics.

The rest of the game is a ton of fun and its really pretty. I lived in Montana and the game actually made me kinda wistful for the hunting and scenic vistas.

Of the 3 main series this one is my favorite. Farcry 3 had the most straight forward well paced story but the least to do. Farcry 4 gave you a lot more to do and was prettier but the story wasn't all that interesting. Far Cry 5 is by far the prettiest game, gave you a ridiculous amount of stuff to do, but the story is kinda uneven and guns are a little less interesting. That said you get to fly a plane and do dogfighting. Thats cool.

I don't really consider FarCry as part of the main series and farcry 2 is kind of a prototype of the current gen. I have a special hatred in my heart for Farcry 2 because you basically spend the whole game doing the same 3 missions over and over something like 50 times.

I played all 5 so far and I think FC4 was the best in the series. But it's worth $14 if you like FC games.

Primal was my personal favorite so far, Five being close second. Once finished with Five can give it a better rating. Think Five has the best writing so far.

This is the best change FC5 offers that bothered me in 4 especially. The environment has been made much more interesting as it has been spent more time into making it feel a bit more diversive. FC4 felt like they used a world generator like in UE4 engine to just create some random placed trees, hills etc without much "thought" to it. The FC5 environment feels far more worked on, with the variety of fields vs forests vs mountains, feels more natural/realistic in that sense. For me this is the singlemost best change FC5 offers.

The thing which bothers me most about the FC series currently would be the sandboxy nature they just keep expanding on. Ie. here is your minigame spot, there is your loot spot, there is your mission spots etc. I wish they could try a more story driven open world setting next time, all these minigames or how you'd call it only disconnects the player from the game's story.

Reactions: DF-1
like this
One thing bothered me about FC2 immensly which stopped it from being superb, africans in T-shirt took almost took a whole clip to die. Since this was such a gameplay breaker & immersiveness killer to me it resulted in me playing with the hardest difficulty but with 1 bullet kill cheat activated, was the best compromise I could find. I prefer more high bullet damage on both recieving and dealing end. This is something I like about FC5 especially, on higher difficulty it just changes how much damage you take and the enemies to begin with dies pretty quickly there too. I will admit, the beginning part I couldn't even finish on highest difficulty in FC5 after testing 3-4 times as the bullets dealt so much dmg and hard to escape every bullet in a car chase and had to change to one difficulty lvl lower (it's pretty random) so I feel the gun gameplay and difficulty is very well dialed in for FC5, there should be a good working difficulty lvl for every player out there.

Last edited:
It is a fun game...I usually get bored of games that don't draw me in enough to complete...I completed this one, was entertained throughout.

Just finished two of the regions off. The game's strength is in it's story, the disparate nature of the side quests, and the flexibility in gun design, vehicle choice, etc. It's main deterrent is that there is such a clear distinction between missions with the slow-motion mission complete prompt that once a mission is over, I'm ready to start a different game rather than dive into another mission. Have gotten back into Diablo 3, redownloaded Mass Effect 2, have Divinity Original Sin, etc. all which keep the player engaged outside of each mission. These other games make every aspect of the experience something that draws the user into the next bout. Other first person shooters do cohesion better, but Far Cry 5 has taken leaps in the correct direction with the franchise imo. What was once mainly marketing imo has become a decent gaming experience.

This is really tempting....

Question is, my rig in sig capable of 60 fps @ 1080p??

Believe the gtx 980ti ~ gtx 1070 would probably be able to take it at 1920x1080 @60hz. Running a 1080TI max settings with AA at 3840x2160, getting around 55 average, dips of 45, max of vsync.

Just finished the final mission with Resist option. Have to say, dissatisfied with the finale. My play-through had a glitch where I finished the required actions [won't spoil anything], and the auto-cut scene didn't trigger after entering the creek. Knew something was up, so watched a Youtube clip and was like, well I did that correctly... So played the sequence again muted since it had broken the immersion factor for me. I mean, of all the times to have a mission breaking glitch, last... sequence... in... the... game...

Alright, ya got me.

< about to try it out

Between this and ESO: Summerset, I'm done for the next couple weeks lol

I played it on a 970 FTW, and it was very good looking @ 1080p.

Oh definitely!

Moments into walking around the open world, I stared down at my newly upgraded box and thought "this is what I paid for". (swapped cpu/mobo/gpu all in the last 3 months)

Def worth $13.50 but I have a feeling the storyline is gonna be pretty hokey.

I don't know why but FC5 seems the most pretty, even though FC4 I think is the same engine (might be wrong on this), but a lot of things that felt "closer to home" I guess. That said, the game play itself is fun, I see a lot of complaints about lack of weapons, and that's probably mostly because you get the one(s) you want really early. The last three FC games (I don't consider Primal as part of this series) all had some "supernatural" aspect to it that I really wasn't a huge fan of, FC3 had your whacky tattoo inspired dreams, FC4 had "ancient" recreation complete with demons and trying to ring that bell with your pet tiger, and FC5 has a bunch of mind control/hallucination stuff, all of which were part of the story and none of which I particularly like. It has a similar "multiple mini boss control before you can face against the big boss" mechanics which is fine. However the forced cut scenes to progress the story are just that... too forced, you could be going way out of your way to complete some sidequest and boop you've been tagged and here comes the guys with magic bullets to take you out and force you through the story and when you come back out of it you're no where near where you were, at least in games like FC3 the forced cut scenes happened at specific locations that were actually missions you decided to do so you have the ultimate choice in whether or not you continue the main story of the game. It is one of those games where you wish there was an "open world" play mode where the bad guys can still be bad guys, possibly taking back over camps (that still is a thing) and you just fight through them or what not. I've seen the expansions on youtube and was really interested in the idea of a zombie one but unfortunately the map that is the game map is what you play, it's a rather small map just to do essentially a quest so that kind of sucks, plus those cost money and it's like fuck that shit.

That said it is still a wonderfully beautiful game, even if it does have certain mechanics that break the immersion you have in it, and I think the ending is universally hated, but that said think of it like the original Crysis or Far Cry when people just stopped playing once the blue space squid or crazy monkey men came into play. So $15 range? Yeah just do it if you liked any of the other Far Cry games, it's the same type of mechanics and you'll get $15 of fun out of it.

Back