Far Cry 4 writer calls gamers terrorists

Have not purchased an Ubisoft game since AC 1. It's not like they could make me buy even less with this new round of douchebaggery.

Wow, lots of ignorance on this thread... I'll share some links and you all can make up your own mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RVlCvBd21w

http://www.nichegamer.net/2014/09/gamergate-interview-anonymous-xbox-edition/

http://www.nichegamer.net/2014/11/xbro-interview-gamergate-numero-dos/

http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/2014/11/gamergate-abc-reporter-admits-they-chose-harassment-coverage-over-corruption/

And as someone has already mentioned, #gamergate isn't an organized movement, as such there will be fringe elements trying to radicalize it. And as a side note, there are radicals on both sides sending death threats...

the fuck this dude is on about? racism is fun!
And within limits, a completely natural human extension.

I really don't know what "exotifying women of color" means, though. Because "exotifying" isn't a word.

And as someone has already mentioned, #gamergate isn't an organized movement, as such there will be fringe elements trying to radicalize it. And as a side note, there are radicals on both sides sending death threats...

Like it or not, the fringe elements have defined this discussion--some of which were, in fact, organized--and they are the sole reason this controversy still persists in the media. Lets face it; the idea that journalism could use a healthy dose of ethics is not all that controversial, in gaming or any other industry. If you're truly interested in improving the quality of game journalism, I strongly suggest you find a new hashtag. This one is tainted.

I'm everything that you wish me to be. :)

I wish that you aren't everything you are wished to be, while still satisfying anything by being nothing through each and every thing that is wished among anything that can be nothing from everything.

I don't really see the issue here...These idiots threatened to kill a couple of women. Even though said women had some pretty extreme views, you don't go around threatening to kill people in this day and age, and if you do you are considered a terrorist.

Title is extremely misleading but to be expected from OP.

No one from Gamergate threatened anyone. Unless a couple of trolls being douche bags means you are now going to stereotype everyone in gamergate. Which... wouldn't be a surprise.

Like it or not, the fringe elements have defined this discussion--some of which were, in fact, organized--and they are the sole reason this controversy still persists in the media. Lets face it; the idea that journalism could use a healthy dose of ethics is not all that controversial, in gaming or any other industry. If you're truly interested in improving the quality of game journalism, I strongly suggest you find a new hashtag. This one is tainted.

Whats to stop people from tainting that as well? Basically, if the tag is changed, it'll just lose momentum for no reason. It's a hashtag that can be used by anyone, at anytime.

If the fringes of such movements actually changes anything, should've changed before it's become the crap of that it is now.

As for the threats, they have been attributed to GG, but even the threats themselves do not have GG tags on them. IIRC, GG also were the ones who found out who it came from. And GG have had people threatened on their side. But nope, those things don't matter, because you know... feminism.

Your original post says the gamers gate crowd did all of the above..

Not all members of ISIS behead people or fight. Some just run their Twitter feed or drive trucks, or are accountants.

They're still terrorists.

I don't really see the issue here...These idiots threatened to kill a couple of women. Even though said women had some pretty extreme views, you don't go around threatening to kill people in this day and age, and if you do you are considered a terrorist.

Title is extremely misleading but to be expected from OP.

Not if you had half a clue about what has actually happened instead of what Kotaku and Polygon tells you, considering anyone who doesn't want social justice rammed down their throat is a terrorist according to this hack.

Nice unnecessary personal shot at me too by the way.

Not all members of ISIS behead people or fight. Some just run their Twitter feed or drive trucks, or are accountants.

The posts just continue to get more asinine and stupid as this goes on. Do people not even attempt to use rational or logical points anymore?

So people are supposed to abandon a group of shared beliefs/interests every time one person, whoever the hell they are, however far away they are, and however fringe they are does something stupid/unsavory?

If that was there case, the D&D property would be long dead due to Gygax's drug escapades.

The BattleTech and Shadowrun games would have ceased, since the company that found them founded with money culled from smut peddling.

The US would have ceased to exist because...well...there's always going to be AT LEAST ONE citizen or politician doing something dumb.

Try a real argument.

Not if you had half a clue about what has actually happened instead of what Kotaku and Polygon tells you, considering anyone who doesn't want social justice rammed down their throat is a terrorist according to this hack.

Nice unnecessary personal shot at me too by the way.

"Farcry 4 writer calls gamers terrorists". Last I checked he called GamerGate supporters terrorists. YOU are the one misleading with the title, not me. I don't want social justice rammed down my throat, but I also don't identify with GamerGate.

Your hatred for certain publishers is obvious, hence why I expected a post like this. It's not a personal attack, just a statement based on your post history in this sub forum.

No one from Gamergate threatened anyone. Unless a couple of trolls being douche bags means you are now going to stereotype everyone in gamergate. Which... wouldn't be a surprise.

The actions of a few extremists are always going to be what you judge a group by. It's similar to some people still thinking every middle eastern person is a terrorist because of 9/11. The media already tainted the idea of GamerGate so it would best be to not identify yourself with them. Just because I don't consider myself part of GamerGate doesn't mean I don't agree with some of their views. But I won't identify with that group because of the shit some of them have done.

If you're really for ethics in game journalism, don't associate with assholes who doxx people -- denounce them. Don't let your movement get co-opted by asscans who become white supremacists. You are only as good as the the heroes of your movement.. so don't be surprised when people call into question your legitimate claims because your principal spokespeople are dicks.

This is fucking stupid.

"Farcry 4 writer calls gamers terrorists". Last I checked he called GamerGate supporters terrorists. YOU are the one misleading with the title, not me. I don't want social justice rammed down my throat, but I also don't identify with GamerGate.

Your hatred for certain publishers is obvious, hence why I expected a post like this. It's not a personal attack, just a statement based on your post history in this sub forum.

Last I checked, Gamergaters were gamers...lots of gamers, and the ones most likely to be interested in a AAA FPS like Far Cry 4.

The actions of a few extremists are always going to be what you judge a group by. It's similar to some people still thinking every middle eastern person is a terrorist because of 9/11. The media already tainted the idea of GamerGate so it would best be to not identify yourself with them. Just because I don't consider myself part of GamerGate doesn't mean I don't agree with some of their views. But I won't identify with that group because of the shit some of them have done.

Believing everyone that is pro-Gamergate is a terrorist is just as fallacious as believing every person in the middle east is a terrorist. I don't let the moronic collectivist views of others determine what I do and do not identify with, much less left-wing media.

what do GGers even want? as far as I can tell form reading this thread they HATE being associated with the worst of their movement (rape/death/mass shooting threats). They also seem to dislike "SJW" and want to avoid having an agenda crammed down their throats.

I still don't understand why this is a thing or why anyone cares so much about it though. Obviously games journalism leaves something to be desired. Just torrent your games before buying them, like anyone else.

Who's trolling? I just told the truth and a bunch of terrorists attacked me.

And this line of thinking right here is why I've largely ditched online gaming and most gaming sites in the last few months.

"You're either with us, or against us." - Essentially the same shit uttered by both sides of this retarded argument who can't seem to comprehend that there are radicals on each side and always use those as examples. Fuck Far Cry 4, and fuck gaming communities. Larger shit gets pushed to the side for this? It's the fucking Kardashians of the gaming world. This shit became popular because of loud mouth idiots who see everything as black and white.

To hell with this, I'm going back to playing airsoft.

Let's be honest here. I said that as soon as the protest devolved into threats against people's lives; GamerGate became a terrorist organization. And it was deservedly labeled as such. Nobody in the media gives a damn about tropes. All they see are some scared white women being harassed with death threats by scary men threatening them with rape. I also stated that next time before jumping on a bandwagon to make sure it has a leader and is organized. Don't invite crazies as they will make you look crazy too even if they're passionate about the subject.

For saying that I've been vilified as a bad person. It's fine though. I'll make it through these trying times and come out the other side as a better person. I believe in me!

Well, the threats could easily be the work of someone who is FOR the SJWs involved in that. Call yourself a offended gamer, say you hate the ones that are for feminazis and stuff, threaten to kill some people. Done. Now go back to your PC friends and tell them it's on.

Political warfare anyone?

what do GGers even want? as far as I can tell form reading this thread they HATE being associated with the worst of their movement (rape/death/mass shooting threats). They also seem to dislike "SJW" and want to avoid having an agenda crammed down their throats.

I still don't understand why this is a thing or why anyone cares so much about it though. Obviously games journalism leaves something to be desired. Just torrent your games before buying them, like anyone else.

I do not keep myself update with this whole gamergate thing, but what I can tell you is that SJW is a bad thing for video game as a whole. Recently, and unfortunately, the whole video game being sexist issue have been getting a lot of press. Sweden is considering the idea of labeling video games for being sexist. This is how ridiculous the issue has gotten. It's no longer just a couple of big mouth feminist making noise.

Now we don't really care since Sweden is far away from where we live, but imagine if these SJW managed to push something like that to all over EU and NA. It's going to be bad for video games because now companies have to conform to whatever the definition of video game sexism is to these people, otherwise your product will be labeled by them as being sexist which is bad press.

I hope we won't ever have to see that happening, but feminist and SJW needs to leave video games alone. Video games are fictional work, they are not meant to be politically correct, gender fair, or whatever these people want video games to be.

You guys really need to just go and vote with your wallet. I have and continue to not buy games from companies I perceive to be crap. I never followed this GamersGate thing, but have boycotted Ubisoft because they are a crap company.

I do not keep myself update with this whole gamergate thing, but what I can tell you is that SJW is a bad thing for video game as a whole. Recently, and unfortunately, the whole video game being sexist issue have been getting a lot of press. Sweden is considering the idea of labeling video games for being sexist. This is how ridiculous the issue has gotten. It's no longer just a couple of big mouth feminist making noise.

Now we don't really care since Sweden is far away from where we live, but imagine if these SJW managed to push something like that to all over EU and NA. It's going to be bad for video games because now companies have to conform to whatever the definition of video game sexism is to these people, otherwise your product will be labeled by them as being sexist which is bad press.

I hope we won't ever have to see that happening, but feminist and SJW needs to leave video games alone. Video games are fictional work, they are not meant to be politically correct, gender fair, or whatever these people want video games to be.

This is what I was trying to tell the GamerGate idealists when the first death / rape threats started. "If this keeps up we're all going to be playing censored games like in Australia." But all I got back in retort was that the death threats were warranted or it's just an internet thing; who cares. Anyone that questioned the death threats strategy were the new target for threats. Perfect example was Felecia Day.

Obviously SOMEONE cares. And those people that care may happen to write laws. Or worse. They might develop the next game you buy.

Gamersgate?
http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/20...ived-threats-from-those-opposed-to-gamergate/

#GamerGate!
http://topsy.com/#analytics?q1=%23gamergate&q2=%23notyourshield&q3=%23stopgamergate2014&via=Topsy&_suid=141632073347308127004847320165

http://gamergate.me

This is what I was trying to tell the GamerGate idealists when the first death / rape threats started. "If this keeps up we're all going to be playing censored games like in Australia." But all I got back in retort was that the death threats were warranted or it's just an internet thing; who cares. Anyone that questioned the death threats strategy were the new target for threats. Perfect example was Felecia Day.

Obviously SOMEONE cares. And those people that care may happen to write laws. Or worse. They might develop the next game you buy.
Have you even questioned where the threats were coming from?

http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/2014/09/wikipedia-editors-doxxed-for-updating-gamergate-wiki-page/
http://i.imgur.com/He7UCVW.png

This is called bigotry. In western society people are ingrained with a distrust and suspicion of Muslims by their religion and media. When something happens caused by the fringe of this group all of a sudden it's open season because people feel it safe to come out with their hatred because the actions of these few people have now justified their hatred and moved them into action. The blanket narrative of painting the whole GamerGate movement in mainstream media as violent harassers and now "terrorists" is a carefully calculated one. By using this narrative with these kinds of trigger words it effectively discredits the voices of an entire group and a calm, logical discussion about the real issues can never be had because of it. The very way of life of these people communicating this narrative is being threatened now, and they're going to fight using every means possible to keep the status quo.

By using this narrative with these kinds of trigger words it effectively discredits the voices of an entire group and a calm, logical discussion about the real issues can never be had because of it.

A calm, logical discussion of how many journalists an indie developer slept with? A developer of an indie game that nobody in GG would have paid money for anyway?

Pointing out that gamers are more diverse so maybe games should have content that is more diverse is a radical notion and an attack on all of gamer-dom?

And don't get hung up on this stupid "guilt by association" persecution complex. The guy who waters the plants in the ISIS offices is a legit target for our smart bombs, as far as I'm concerned. If you don't want to be labeled a terrorist, don't work with the terrorists.

I missed the whole boat on the gamergate crap and have no idea what the hell it is about. I was too busy working taking care of my family, playing games and taking suspiciously long showers...

what little i know GamerGate is just another PC stunt gone crazy... just like violence in video games. But like I said i don't follow it. nor do i really care too.

Seems to me many in the crowd (not all of course) are a good excuse why the internet should not be in any way anonymous, you are ruining it for the rest of us you pricks. Speak your mind have at it, Troll fine, be a douche.. fine.. but commit crimes on the internet is going to screw all of us over.. thanks.

People threaten to kill people all day every day on the internet. I've had numerous people threaten to kill me in multiple games.

If anything, this is equal rights. TotalBiscuit, AngryJoe, PewdiePie, Jim Sterling -- pretty much any reasonably well known internet personality has undoubtedly received death threats. These women got into the spotlight, and got the same equal opportunity treatment as the rest of the community would.

If you haven't received a death threat by playing a game, then you sir, haven't played League of Legends. I've played about 2000 games and I'm certain I've received about 2000 death threats.

If you haven't received a death threat by playing a game, then you sir, haven't played League of Legends. I've played about 2000 games and I'm certain I've received about 2000 death threats.

Anyone that has played league of legends knows you're lying. If you play 2000 games of LOL you'll receive at least 10,000 death threats.

Well I consider contacting a college and threatening to kill the students, faculty, and the speaker, with guns and set bombs a terrorist act. Maybe in the country that you live it's perfectly fine. Maybe you think that threatening to rape women is totally cool. Maybe you think it's fine to SWAT people's homes. Maybe it's fine to post women's addresses and threaten to rape them on the internet if they don't agree with you.

Maybe you're a genius. Maybe I'm as stupid as you say. So Mr. Raudulfr. Could you define terrorism for us? Give us some ideas what terrorism is. Obviously threatening to kill people isn't in your mind a terrorist act. Nor threatening to bomb a college campus. Rape is totally in like white pants in the summer.

Is it only terrorist if you actually kill someone? What is terrorism to a true GamerGate enthusiast? Obviously you're a fine example of one. Explain. I'm all ears.

I don't think "SWATting" is specific to gamergaters.

I do think gamergate supporters have in large part been "tea-partied"; as a decentralized movement it is insanely easy for those with bull horns to define the whole movement by pointing to a minority of bad actors.

Whats to stop people from tainting that as well? Basically, if the tag is changed, it'll just lose momentum for no reason.

I dare say that's a good thing, considering the momentum is in entirely the wrong direction.

And GG have had people threatened on their side.

Not that I don't believe you, but who and how?

Back