Far Cry 4 set in the Himalayas

hey, i started playing it today, sweet jeebus, tons of things to do, just unlocked my first tower and managed to buy the four first maps, using a plain ak for now. i can see already this game is gonna be a huge time vampire :D

hey, i started playing it today, sweet jeebus, tons of things to do, just unlocked my first tower and managed to buy the four first maps, using a plain ak for now. i can see already this game is gonna be a huge time vampire :D

Most of it gets repetitive, but it's still got me hooked nonetheless. Playing with new weapons and vehicles are fun as heck. My plan of attack is to unlock all towers and outposts then do side missions that pertain to signature weapon unlocks, tasks too and all the while i'm hunting for skins to upgrade my stuff. Then, I am gonna play the story, my character will be slightly OP, lucky though there are some locked perks which get unlocked as you progress the story, so that you can't go full blown badass. I have some signature guns already, my fave and prob the best all around one I have so far is that silenced AK-47 with red dot.

My plan of attack is to unlock all towers and outposts then do side missions that pertain to signature weapon unlocks, tasks too and all the while i'm hunting for skins to upgrade my stuff.

thats the best approach, thats how i did in far cry 3 :)

Wow, got a 970 to replace the R9 285 I had just picked up. It waxes the fucking floor with it. Not even close. The 285 couldn't muster 60 fps at high settings and no aa or anything fancy like that. The 970 is rock solid at 60 fps with ultra, SSAO god rays soft shadows etc etc. NO dips seen so far. I did format, and unfortunately lost all my saves. God that 'intro' must be 20 minutes of unskippable bullshit.

SmJYrtN.jpg

Last edited:
Well that explains the stutters I get with a GTX 780 3GB card, will have to put this game on ice until I upgrade, sigh.

I am using (2) 780 classifieds with ultra settings at 1440p and it only allocates 2900 for memory (according to RSST). It never drops below 85 fps but still getting stuttering on Asus Swift w/ G-sync on. Pretty sure everybody is. Recommend you completely disable mouse acceleration in the xml file. Doesn't fix stuttering but aiming is easier.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=934393

Edit: also getting super black shadows.

Last edited:
2900 is almost the limit of the 3GBs on the cards, might be that it leaves a little free but is still doing a lot of texture, etc. swapping. Mr. "Loading" above, said it was perfectly smooth on his 970 @ ultra.

I've seen what happens when it runs out of memory on other games like shadow of mordor and this stuttering is not it (frames are not dropping). I will experiment with lower textures though. Just because RSST says 2900 doesn't mean it's actually using 2900. Might just be what the game is reserving at that setting.

Edit: It's hitting 3000 with TXAA 4x and 2580 with no AA. Might still be playable at 1440p but anything higher and it will likely suck. I usually play without AA. Might try forcing FXAA in drivers. SMAA provides much better performance but causes ghosting with SLI. I've been running without AA, HBAO+, and soft shadows, everything else ULTRA. Trying to eliminate the crushing black shadows and stuttering before I play with AA. Frame rates are good but still stutters. Had the same problem with Far Cry 3 when it first released.

Last edited:
Well that explains the stutters I get with a GTX 780 3GB card, will have to put this game on ice until I upgrade, sigh.

Stutters for me even on a 4 GB card. I think something is wrong in general. I've got the latest drivers, made the "tweaks" for removing stutter, and it's still pretty noticeable. Anything above 2x MSAA gives me massive performance drops as well.

it stutters in various ways no matter on what settings, i tried it all, even tweaks found around the web and customized driver settings. i never saw a game so badly done as this on release and this is based on far cry 3 that was working fine two years ago. its a fucking mess, but is playable, blegh.

Stutters for me even on a 4 GB card. I think something is wrong in general. I've got the latest drivers, made the "tweaks" for removing stutter, and it's still pretty noticeable. Anything above 2x MSAA gives me massive performance drops as well.

Yeah, I finally picked this up. Fixed the blackscreen issue by disabling my G13 joystick driver. I have a lot on ultra and get around 45-65 fps .. But still notice stuttering. I think there's something to it, hopefully a patch addresses it.

I have noticed a few glitches - I shot a guy with an arrow and he flew straight up about 100ft. I also noticed the posters you're supposed to take down are extremely low res texture wise. Default FOV seems weird, having the slider around 3/4 seems to be normal.

What I do like:
- The gunplay seems to be nice, has a lot of kick.
- Keyboard mapping.. Showing a keyboard graphic is really nice for a quick glance to see what buttons you've mapped. More games should do this.

I think I spent 3 hours playing and didn't complete one mission .. Just hunted, lol.

i never saw a game so badly done as this on release

Huh? You haven't seen many new games lately then. Seriously I can think of a few titles that were just a little worse on release to put it mildly.

Maybe I'm just lucky but game is playing fine for me. Single MSI GTX 970 @ 1500/8000, i5-3570k @ 4.4Ghz, 8GB Mem @ 2133MHz, 1920x1080. Don't remember all the graphic settings off top of head but I dialed a few of them down until consistent 60FPS.

Lots of weird issues with Gsync and SLI. Very inconsistent, and sometimes even when Gaync is enabled, it's clearly not right. At one point I did get it working with SLI, and it was awesome and smooth except for weird flickering.

I also had tons of trouble with the ghost images/retention in the background. Man, I haven't had this much trouble with settings in a long time.

Huh? You haven't seen many new games lately then. Seriously I can think of a few titles that were just a little worse on release to put it mildly.

Maybe I'm just lucky but game is playing fine for me. Single MSI GTX 970 @ 1500/8000, i5-3570k @ 4.4Ghz, 8GB Mem @ 2133MHz, 1920x1080. Don't remember all the graphic settings off top of head but I dialed a few of them down until consistent 60FPS.

fucking hell, updated the driver to 344.75 and "puf", massive perfection, everything is fine, didnt test if this driver fucked other games but im gonna far cry 4 100% completion on the first run so until i finish this game everything is good as it is. single 970 1440p display.

What tweaks are you using for removing stutter?

First, make sure your in-game video settings are set to "Custom" then go To -> My Documents / My Games / Far Cry 4 / and open GamerProfile.xml in wordpad

Search for DisableLoadingMip0 = "0" and change it to DisableLoadingMip0 = "1"

Aslo GPUMaxBufferedFrames = "0" and change it to GPUMaxBufferedFrames = "1"

It worked well for me, though I haven't played extensively, it seems to have solved the stutter while driving.

Lots of weird issues with Gsync and SLI. Very inconsistent, and sometimes even when Gaync is enabled, it's clearly not right. At one point I did get it working with SLI, and it was awesome and smooth except for weird flickering.

I also had tons of trouble with the ghost images/retention in the background. Man, I haven't had this much trouble with settings in a long time.

SMAA was the cause of ghosting for me. Haven't had any framerate issues with Gsync on the Swift. Consistent 85+ fps with (2) 780's and no AA. Pretty sure SLI is the cause of super black shadows.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=934393&page=21
This thread is pretty active. Will mess with it again after work.

http://forums.ubi.com/forumdisplay.php/787-Far-Cry-4-Technical-Support?
Also here.

I can't speak on Gsync but I can attest to the ghost images issue. I'm not sure what caused that, I think I read somewhere it's a HBAO+ issue and if you switch that and switch it back that helps, but unfortunately that did nothing for me.

Also something happened where all the shading & shadows got too dark and it was dark even in the daytime for me. There was also some flickering going on in the lighting around lights and torches. There is supposedly a patch today and I plan to read exactly what it's supposed to fix in addition to the peripheral black screen issue. If it doesn't fix these issues I plan to stop playing the game until the ghosting and extra darkness bug get fixed.

So far I only got the first tower done so I'm not fully invested in the story just yet. No point in ruining my experience when I have other games I am in the middle of.

What are the settings that you guys all find best? I think the Nvidia setting looks good but I can't put my finger on it, there are some settings in Nvidia that makes things look washed out here but sharper there. Currently I enabled Nvidia and switched my AA to MSAA 4x. Wow I really wish I could use MFAA + MSAA 8x but nvidia hates all SLi maxwell users :confused:

SMAA was the cause of ghosting for me. Haven't had any framerate issues with Gsync on the Swift. Consistent 85+ fps with (2) 780's and no AA. Pretty sure SLI is the cause of super black shadows.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=934393&page=21
This thread is pretty active. Will mess with it again after work.

http://forums.ubi.com/forumdisplay.php/787-Far-Cry-4-Technical-Support?
Also here.

Thanks you posted this while i was posting. I'll look into this. I will say that SMAA didn't cause the issue for me because I switched it to MSAA 4x before this happened. Maybe it comes from switching the AA setting back and forth.

Is this game closer to being "complete" with the patches they've released? I know it's up to 1.3 now. And I think I read 1.4 comes out today. I watched a video of the prologue, and really want the game. But I want to be able to enjoy it instead of fighting with bugs.

fucking hell, updated the driver to 344.75 and "puf", massive perfection, everything is fine, didnt test if this driver fucked other games but im gonna far cry 4 100% completion on the first run so until i finish this game everything is good as it is. single 970 1440p display.

Would you mind sharing your full video settings and any other tweaks you made? I've got a single 980 on a 1440p display running 344.75 and while the game isn't performing badly, it's far from "massive perfection".

Is this game closer to being "complete" with the patches they've released? I know it's up to 1.3 now. And I think I read 1.4 comes out today. I watched a video of the prologue, and really want the game. But I want to be able to enjoy it instead of fighting with bugs.

I read on the ubi forums the patch that is supposed to hit today will address performance and the USB problem.

60Hz monitor, 1920X1200. GTX 780 3GB with latest drivers. Intel 4770k, 16 GB of DDR3.

I've been running the game maxed out with MSAA at 4 and for now I've been experimenting with vsync on (I might switch to adaptive) and triple buffering on and so far, so good. I haven't seen any ghosting or any of these other quirks I've read in here yet.

Would you mind sharing your full video settings and any other tweaks you made? I've got a single 980 on a 1440p display running 344.75 and while the game isn't performing badly, it's far from "massive perfection".

preset nvidia and then shadow -> ultra, anti aliasing -> smaa, godrays -> volumetric fog.
vsync -> on, vsync mode -> normal, triple buffering -> off.
running on fullscreen, no other tweaks needed.

preset nvidia and then shadow -> ultra, anti aliasing -> smaa, godrays -> volumetric fog.
vsync -> on, vsync mode -> normal, triple buffering -> off.
running on fullscreen, no other tweaks needed.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

SLI has lots of graphical artifacts. Shadows in the the far background (e.g. tree shadows on the mountains) intermittently flash as you are running forward towards them. Looks like a quick flash of lightning. Same deal with some lakes. Also getting flickering on some of the house textures.

Tried to run force alternate frame rendering 2 but that seemed to lock my frame rate at 25. WTF.

Running ultra everything on dual 970 GTX's. 344.75 drivers.

One thing that may have helped me reduce stutter a bit (not gone, but reduced) is running in Fullscreen as opposed to Borderless. Not sure why that makes a difference (no other game seems to have an issue with it) but it felt a bit smoother.

Has anyone found a way to reduce/eliminate the head bob? I've never had a major problem with it in games before, but it's a bit over the top in FC4 and has made me a bit dizzy a few times.

Yep, glad I sold the 2GB 670 and moved up to a 4GB 970. However, even at that it's cutting it close on Ultra. Looks like next year I'll need a 6GB or 8GB card! :(

For fucks sake. This fucking game. Fuck. I did about 3 hours worth of hunting and outpost hunting/bell tower clearing and shit. I died, game took super long to 'reload' and then I just had a grey screen. Could get to the menu fine so I saved. Reloaded my game, and those 3 fucking hours gone. Fuck.

I think save games were perfected about 10 years ago, Good job Ubisoft.

I've improved my performance (stutter issues) by going into the GamerProfile.xml (My Docs / My Games) and changing the values to what is below:

DisableLoadingMip0 = "1" (default 0)
GPUMaxBufferedFrames="1" (default 0)

Seems a lot smoother now. Unfortunately, the "showfps=1" doesn't work in the profile. I remember FC3 had a command you could add to the shortcut. I'll post back if I figure it out.

BTW, for those who aren't getting this to work, it's worth checking the file again. I know in FC3, UPlay would overwrite the profile with one from the cloud everytime you launched. So if you check your profile and these are changed back (MIPS/GPU/etc), you'll need to set that profile to "read-only". You can't edit settings via in-game without changing that back though.

Also .. adding -skipintro to your shortcut is a necessity these days. :)

I read on the ubi forums the patch that is supposed to hit today will address performance and the USB problem.

The post on Ubisoft was edited to say ".. or the following days". So it's essentially not ready and has been pushed.

Last edited:
Does the fur look weird to anyone else? The edges seem to be fairly jittery, especially the further away you are.

Update 1.4 Fix Log

Update v1.4.0 PC
• NVIDIA HairWorks fully enabled for GeForce GTX gamers.
PVP + Co-Op
• The game will no longer freeze if a player accepts a Co-Op invite while in the Uplay App after quickly selecting a storage device.
• Players will no longer experience very low FPS if they join a friend in a PvP lobbly while in the Uplay browser.
• The game will no longer remain on a black screen if they use the Fast Travel feature immediately after the Bell Tower unlock cinematic.
• Resolved certain issues that prevented a player from returning to the Story Mode from the Co-Op tab.
Progression
• Players will now be able to achieve 100% progression if they do not drive a snowmobile when the vehicle is available.
• Players will now be able to reach 100% progression after the "Day 1" Patch is applied. Trophies
• Corrected an issue where Trophies would not be rewarded for several weapons.
Main Menu
• The player will now hear ambient sound if they return tot he Main Menu from the Uplay App. Update v1.3.0 Here is the list of known issues fixed by the Day 1 Patch. Note, the patch for PC users contains a number of additional fixes - these are indicated throughout the notes below.
Stability & Performance
• Fixed some random crashes on all game modes AI
• Fixed various edge case animation issues
• Fixed various edge case detection issues
• Fixed missing VO for edge case reaction issues
Matchmaking, Connectivity & Replication
• Fixed matchmaking edge case issues
• Fixed host migration random & edge case issues
• Fixed join-in-progress edge case issues
• Fixed various replication issues between host and clients
• Fixed edge case replication issues with systems
Menus and HUD
• Fixed various edge case menus and pop-up overlap issues
• Fixed Mission objectives & updates issues
• Fixed Co-op specific pop-up updates issues
• Fixed few localization issues (cut-off text, subtitles)
• Fixed progression displaying 100% too early in progress tab
• Polished tutorial images
Mission Tweaks (Campaign, Co-Op & Side Content)
• Fixed various low repro walkthrough breaks
World & 3D
• Fixed various texture issues
• Deleted some rare floating objects Rendering & Graphics Features (PC Only)
• Fixed rendering features not available under certain configurations
• Fixed multi-monitor display issues
• Fixed multiple visual artifacts; added SLI support Inputs & Controls (PC Only)
• Fixed mouse cursor and keyboard functionality
In-Game map editor
• Fixed some graphical corruptions
• Fixed some edge case issue with maps upload

Back