Far Cry 4 set in the Himalayas

polonyc2

Fully [H]
I just want to know who asked for the ability to ride elephants in the mountains during their supposed shooter session.

Disgust-face.jpg

Far Cry 4 will be released in the first half of 2015 and be set around the snowy mountain ranges of the Himalayas...the switch in location marks a drastic change for the adventure series, which is usually more associated with sandy, tropical locales...but it will also pave the way for some new features- such as the ability to saddle up and ride elephants...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-03-20-far-cry-4-set-in-the-himalayas-has-ridable-elephants

I don't mind it not being set in a tropical setting. I liked Far Cry 2's setting, just didn't like the respawning guards.

I just want to know who asked for the ability to ride elephants in the mountains during their supposed shooter session.

Disgust-face.jpg

I did, I specifically requested this obscure feature. You'll thank me later.

I don't mind it not being set in a tropical setting. I liked Far Cry 2's setting, just didn't like the respawning guards.

The setting in FC2 was a lot better. Respawning guards and poor story development held it back.

FC3 was a great game. After that one I have a good bit more faith in the franchise. The new concept does sound fairly bizarre, but could be a lot of fun.

The setting in FC2 was a lot better. Respawning guards and poor story development held it back.

yeah for as much hate as FC2 received, I actually enjoyed the damn thing... driving around on the map in that offroad vehicle. I've loved this series ever since the first FarCry by Crytek

Should be interesting, the views are spectacular.
I hope they do the crazy bus journey up the mountain side to get there, luckily the bus had double wide wheels because the outer wheels went over the edge!
We saw a guy walking his mountain of stash through a forest above Manali, we could only see his legs underneath it.
And man, they have some big spiders there!
Awesome place, I hope they do it justice.

It could be interesting if they can add an environmental effect to the game, such as the possibility of freezing to death.

They could force you to parachute into the forest with just your undies on.

At least it isn't another cookie cutter sequel. It sounds odd and maybe even a little ridiculous, but I'd rather have that than the same 'ol formula.
I loved Far Cry 3, so I have faith.

FC3 really grew on me all of a sudden. I replayed it about 4 months ago and for some reason it just really "took" so I'm looking forward to this.

Wouldn't the enemies also die by freezing to death? Or maybe they'll have aliens like Crysis 1.

Depends really on who/what the enemies are. It would be a plausible assumption that who ever you are fighting would be regional (like in FC2/3) so they would have the correct gear plus access to shelter. The antagonist depending on how they arrived on the Himalayas may not have access to either.

So the devs could add a survival sub-game so you would need to acquire better gear and/or make clearing and visiting the "hideouts" more of a necessity. Maybe have to occasionally build a fire at the risk of attracting attention of enemy forces, that kind of thing.

This is going to get old quick. Nobody prefers arctic environments over tropical jungle.

This is going to get old quick. Nobody prefers arctic environments over tropical jungle.
Himilayan ranges are rather large but arent near the Arctic :p
Its really nice in the Summer in many places.

Sounds interesting, as others have mention the views there are amazing, and it would be nice to have a different scenery for a change. I've had a lot of jungle scenery in previous Far Cry, Uncharted, etc. Would be nice to have a SP game set in a mountainous region.

Of course the game play would have to be great as well.

DPI said:
yeah for as much hate as FC2 received, I actually enjoyed the damn thing... driving around on the map in that offroad vehicle. I've loved this series ever since the first FarCry by Crytek

What's funny is that I used to be on the hate wagon. Well, not hate, but I harped on its flaws and found it extremely hard to get into the game. I tried multiple times. But for some reason I picked it up again recently and started knocking out missions. I'm now about 80% through. I love the environment; it's actually an extremely peaceful game to play as long as you avoid enemies. The missions are pretty fun too, albeit somewhat repetitive at times. But the setting is extremely unique; we don't get many games that let us traverse the beautiful landscapes of Africa. The respawning checkpoints suck, the weapons degrade too quickly, and that malaria sickness mechanic can be frustrating but I find that all of that is offset by the beautiful environments and the satisfying weapon feel. My only other complaints are that the guards take too little damage unless you're equipped with a sniper rifle (it shouldn't take multiple bursts to the chest from an automatic rifle to bring a non-armored guy down) and the map/travel structure. The maps are huge and visually very attractive which is great if you want to chill and take in the beauty but if you want to stay on foot (because using a vehicle almost always results in an enemy encounter, which would be less of an annoyance if the guards at the guard posts didn't respawn) it takes forever to traverse the map. Maybe having more than 5 bus stations for each map would help.

It's not the best FPS ever but it has a lot of things that I like. Now that I've learned to accept its faults and enjoy what it has to offer -- which is a lot -- it's now kind of amusing to see people talk about it like it's the worst title to ever hit PC gaming. :)

It could be interesting if they can add an environmental effect to the game, such as the possibility of freezing to death.

Mmmm, I dunno. That mechanic was used in Cryostasis and it got kind of annoying having to run from heat source to heat source. It was interesting and created tension but it removed a lot of the ability to free roam/explore, and I don't like playing games with time constraints.

There is also a tree line and other geography besides just snow and glaciers.

that's the key...Far Cry 4 won't just be whiteout snow and blizzard conditions...lots of different geography over there which should make for an excellent setting for a game

I hope you'll still be able to set fire to things. I was already disappointed by how they dialed back the fire mechanic in FC3, although it was a pretty fun game overall (dubstep, moronic characters and QTEs aside).

I wish with this move that they'd focus more on survival, have a hunger element (so hunting serves a purpose) and allow you to make fires/rudementary shelter and clothing items.

Then throw weather/time of day into the mix, the colder it is it could drain your stamina or something if you don't get warm, and you have a hunger meter that you can refill by eating animals and other things you hunt.

It'd have to be balanced though, so it's fun and not something that's tedious or annoying.

I'm hoping fc4 is more like the original and fc3. Fc3 was one of the best fps games I've played in a very very long time...

They should make the setting that awkward phase when snow is on its way out, and spring is around the corner. Mud and nasty goop all over the ground.

Your character should also be suffering from diarrhea randomly throughout the game. Would make for some interesting QTE's.

They should make the setting that awkward phase when snow is on its way out, and spring is around the corner. Mud and nasty goop all over the ground.

Your character should also be suffering from diarrhea randomly throughout the game. Would make for some interesting QTE's.

Or they could have seasons nad weather that changes...dynamically.

Or they could have seasons nad weather that changes...dynamically.

I hear you, and I'm all for rational and logical outcomes, but I'm really feeling the nasty mud/wet season, with diarrhea problems.

I'm hoping fc4 is more like the original and fc3. Fc3 was one of the best fps games I've played in a very very long time...

I just hope they have a reason to play outside of the storyline once you beat the game. I don't think that the enemy ever tried to retake the zones .. Did they? A minigame where you do things to arm locals, boost their moral (higher resistance to counter attack) and boost defenses to the zones might go a long way. Add in random counter attacks and such. Kinda like you could grab 10 zones with minimal resources, but a counterattack would easily take them back and lower moral. So you'd be better off strengthening each zone before moving on.

Also gives a reason to take the weapons of all the people you kill. A simple "add to army", mechanic. Same with ammo.

There's a mod for ARMA3 that does this called DUWS (and another.. Can't remember the name). Makes it incredibly fun to get lost in play for hours as you have to balance taking enemy zones or bulking defenses.

Kinda like you could grab 10 zones with minimal resources, but a counterattack would easily take them back

Every game I've tried to play with this mechanic has annoyed me. I know it extends the length of the game or whatever but I find it annoying to take over territories and have them later attacked by the enemy, forcing me to stop what I'm doing and run back across the map to defend. It would be cooler if, like you say, you could build morale of other people who would fight off the takeover attempt and succeed if morale was high enough, but I don't want my character to be bothered with it necessarily..

Far Cry 3 is the only game that I've finished in a long time and I wanted more (I couldn't put more than a few hours in 2, finished 1 multiple times).

I have some faith that this will be good.

OT: anyone know if Far Cry 1 (retail edition) works without issues with Windows 7 64-bit?

squishy: same here! I played crysis 3 and the graphics were great but the gameplay was lacking for me..I just wanted to get it over with and finish it..bioshock: infinite was a little better than crysis 3 but same thing I wasnt really looking forward to play just wanted to get thru it..Now FC3 I couldnt put it down for the first 4 hours. That intro was prob one of the best FPS intros Ive seen in a very veryyyy well actually ever...Was gladly shocked by this game bc I lost all faith in PC gaming..

I just wonder if/when they'll bring back Jack Carver from the first game. He was a fun character, would be awesome if he at least made an appearance in FC4.

Also, I am definitely not liking the idea of having a constant element of possibly freezing to death. Maybe the main character was on a ski trip and happens to be already outfitted appropriately... like in a Hawaiian-print bright orange parka. :D

FC1, FC3, & FC3: Blood Dragon were all quite fun to play. Looking forward to playing FC4 & the sequel to Blood Dragon.

Crimson does blood dragon get better? I played the beg but I couldn't get into it..now that I think of it fc2 was in a diff setting from 1,3 and it flopped..

Back