Far Cry 3 trailer

Looks pretty similar to the good elements in FC1. Underwater actually looked good. They need to mod that into Skyrim.

The hard pill to swallow is Ubisoft, though.

That actually looked alot like the original farcry, except for the console movement and highlighting of stuff ofcourse :p

Indeed it does seem to lean a little more towards some of the good things from Far Cry 1 but given that this is Ubisoft I know better than to raise my expectations past a certain point.

Far Cry 2 is very unique in gaming for me at least because I can genuinely call it "Frustratingly bad". Which is unusual for me.

Far Cry 2 looked amazing when it first came out. It was used commonly as a benchmarking tool for videocards. The gameplay was excellent. Shooting was tight all the guns shot for the most part how I wanted them to. Open world mission structure with an interesting and current affair story. Healing was a bloody and amusing process. Health packs made a comeback.

On the surface Far Cry 2 hit every note (expect the gun wear while being a good idea could have been tuned a little better) and thats why it got 9/10 with every reviewer and at the same time showed everyone how completely full of shit reviewers are.

About 5 missions in you repeat a mission and then the next mission a repeat of the previous mission and so on. You literally complete the exact same 5 missions somewhere(I'd have to pull up my stats) in the range of 100 times!!! I'm not exaggerating. These are not side missions. about 12-20 hours in you're dodging every fight you can. Completing missions long distance just to avoid the redundancy. Completing missions with just a knife or pistol or sniper rifle anything to keep some semblance of uniqueness. After that you're just begging for this FUCKING game to end and then... it does. Not even a cut scene or a climax. halting mid mission text on a plain background. done.

I and I'm not a violent person, put my fist through my keyboard I was so angry that I'd put myself through that. It wasn't even about the money. The time and energy you put into it just feels so goddamn wasted. There's no way in hell any Reviewer completed the game from beginning to end. It's impossible.

LOL Exactly!

piscian18 said:
Far Cry 2 is very unique in gaming for me at least because I can genuinely call it "Frustratingly bad". Which is unusual for me.

Far Cry 2 looked amazing when it first came out. It was used commonly as a benchmarking tool for videocards. The gameplay was excellent. Shooting was tight all the guns shot for the most part how I wanted them to. Open world mission structure with an interesting and current affair story. Healing was a bloody and amusing process. Health packs made a comeback.

On the surface Far Cry 2 hit every note (expect the gun wear while being a good idea could have been tuned a little better) and thats why it got 9/10 with every reviewer and at the same time showed everyone how completely full of shit reviewers are.

About 5 missions in you repeat a mission and then the next mission a repeat of the previous mission and so on. You literally complete the exact same 5 missions somewhere(I'd have to pull up my stats) in the range of 100 times!!! I'm not exaggerating. These are not side missions. about 12-20 hours in you're dodging every fight you can. Completing missions long distance just to avoid the redundancy. Completing missions with just a knife or pistol or sniper rifle anything to keep some semblance of uniqueness. After that you're just begging for this FUCKING game to end and then... it does. Not even a cut scene or a climax. halting mid mission text on a plain background. done.

I and I'm not a violent person, put my fist through my keyboard I was so angry that I'd put myself through that. It wasn't even about the money. The time and energy you put into it just feels so goddamn wasted. There's no way in hell any Reviewer completed the game from beginning to end. It's impossible.

As huge of a letdown as that game is to me I really couldn't have said it all better myself if I'd tried.

The core thesis of it all is bolded for emphasis. Never have I seen a game that took DE-incentivizing (made up word) a player to an art form level in the modern era more than this thing.

Where's Wally? That guy used to post here all the time and really made me laugh with the vitrol and hate he had for this thing. He'd outdo just about everyone else here on that. I haven't seen that guy around here in forever.

No way I am giving them money after far cry 2. what a pos.

This. Since Crytek isn't doing it, I have no hope for it at all. Far Cry 2 footage looked good too, but looks aren't everything.

This. Since Crytek isn't doing it, I have no hope for it at all. Far Cry 2 footage looked good too, but looks aren't everything.

That's the lesson.

The PR, marketing, and advertising campaign for Far Cry 2 leading up to its release along with some of the most blatant payola reviews I can recall is something for the ages to be studied. It's one of the best cons in modern gaming that I've seen, all told. Got to salute it.

Hell, I still want to play THAT game to say nothing about the earlier concepts for that game that never materialized.

I never tried out Farcry 1/2 - do those games still hold up today?

I liked farCry. Basically Crytek built FarCry as an engine first and a game second. It's very pretty to look at even today. Some aspects in my humble opinion rival Source. It's a survival game where you're thrown on this massive tropical island while these mercenaries try to hunt you down. Almost all free roaming ala Elder scrolls. Cast away meets Rambo.

The game is unplayable without patching because there's a bug where the mercenaries can see you any where you are and it's just not fun. The patches fixed most of the issue but I still recall a hilarious issue in which a guy saw me, but I ignored him and went exploring the island. About 45 minutes later I'm sitting behind a rock just picking at sand on literally the opposite side of the island when he steps out from behind a rock and shoots me in the head.

towards the end of the game it jumps the shark and turns into Wolfenstein 3D/Serious Sam. It's fun but it's back to being a normal blah FPS. I think they ran out of material at the end and just started copying and pasting from other game.

There's no ending. Infact when I killed the bad guy it was an accident. Just walked into a random room with an itchy trigger finger and the game went to credits. Much like Crysis you can just quit when the monsters show up. Not much going on after that.

FarCry 2.......... fuck FarCry 2 I don't want to talk about it anymore. Go play 25 straight hours of the 1st stage of Paperboy for NES. You'll get to the same place emotionally.

I'm not exaggerating or joking do not take the above with a grain of salt. This is how it is end of story.

I liked farCry. Basically Crytek built FarCry as an engine first and a game second. It's very pretty to look at even today. Some aspects in my humble opinion rival Source. It's a survival game where you're thrown on this massive tropical island while these mercenaries try to hunt you down. Almost all free roaming ala Elder scrolls. Cast away meets Rambo.

The game is unplayable without patching because there's a bug where the mercenaries can see you any where you are and it's just not fun. The patches fixed most of the issue but I still recall a hilarious issue in which a guy saw me, but I ignored him and went exploring the island. About 45 minutes later I'm sitting behind a rock just picking at sand on literally the opposite side of the island when he steps out from behind a rock and shoots me in the head.

towards the end of the game it jumps the shark and turns into Wolfenstein 3D/Serious Sam. It's fun but it's back to being a normal blah FPS. I think they ran out of material at the end and just started copying and pasting from other game.

There's no ending. Infact when I killed the bad guy it was an accident. Just walked into a random room with an itchy trigger finger and the game went to credits. Much like Crysis you can just quit when the monsters show up. Not much going on after that.

FarCry 2.......... fuck FarCry 2 I don't want to talk about it anymore. Go play 25 straight hours of the 1st stage of Paperboy for NES. You'll get to the same place emotionally.

I'm not exaggerating or joking do not take the above with a grain of salt. This is how it is end of story.

This is fairly accurate actually.

I really hope this game ends up good. FC2 had a lot of potential and still stands as one of the few games I ever regret buying.

I've said it before...i'll say it again. Far Cry 2 was great. If you scratch the vehicles...scratch all the high-end weaponry..and play on infamous level with a .45 and the bolt-action sniper on foot, it was fun as hell.

And I kid you not...playing that way boosted my scouting accuracy in CS:S. I got called a hacker one round and it was my greatest CS:S achievement because I'm generally not very good at it.

I think FC3 looks pretty good. I'll hold off for a sale...but i'm definitely in for one.

I've said it before...i'll say it again. Far Cry 2 was great. If you scratch the vehicles...scratch all the high-end weaponry..and play on infamous level with a .45 and the bolt-action sniper on foot, it was fun as hell.

And I kid you not...playing that way boosted my scouting accuracy in CS:S. I got called a hacker one round and it was my greatest CS:S achievement because I'm generally not very good at it.

I think FC3 looks pretty good. I'll hold off for a sale...but i'm definitely in for one.

It's great that you found a way to make the game fun, but that's the problem. You had to FIND ways to make it fun. If a game isn't fun the way it's released then it isn't a good game.

If a game isn't fun the way it's released then it isn't a good game.

Tell that to all the people modding the crap out of Skyrim.

I liked FC2 a lot, played it through about 4 times I think. I absolutely recognise its flaws, but I still got many hours of entertainment out of it. At least it tried something different, even if it wasn't entirely successful, and even if some people took an exaggerated and violent dislike to it. If you want a textbook, corridor, story-driven shooter, there are plenty of CoDs out there.
I liked FC1 too, but I also remember how it mostly went downhill after Treehouse (although River was superb) and how it turned to unmitigated shit for the last 3 or 4 levels.

I'm up for 3, but like some others I have my reservations about Ubisoft's recent track record, and that's nothing to do with game play.

Tell that to all the people modding the crap out of Skyrim.

I liked FC2 a lot, played it through about 4 times I think. I absolutely recognise its flaws, but I still got many hours of entertainment out of it. At least it tried something different, even if it wasn't entirely successful, and even if some people took an exaggerated and violent dislike to it. If you want a textbook, corridor, story-driven shooter, there are plenty of CoDs out there.
I liked FC1 too, but I also remember how it mostly went downhill after Treehouse (although River was superb) and how it turned to unmitigated shit for the last 3 or 4 levels.

I'm up for 3, but like some others I have my reservations about Ubisoft's recent track record, and that's nothing to do with game play.

To be fair, the people modding Skyrim know that anything is made better by adding Macho Man.

Chess, Poker, Baseball, Football, Tennis, Racing, Golf, Boxing, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

SAME FRIGGIN SHIT OVER AND OVER AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

....but some people like it ;)

...put in another way...

farcry2haterlover.jpg

Chess, Poker, Baseball, Football, Tennis, Racing, Golf, Boxing, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

SAME FRIGGIN SHIT OVER AND OVER AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

....but some people like it ;)

Wow, what's next? A car analogy?

Wow, what's next? A car analogy?

Dunno, never tried analorgy in a car, how is it ?

Srsly, point being that some like some types of games, others like other types of games, arguing about if it's good or bad exactly shows that difference.

Far Cry 1 is like a chevy camaro

Far Cry 2 is...like the cars in Far Cry 2. Oh I forgot to bitch about that. Yeah looking forward to stopping every 5 minutes in Far Cry 3 because someone shoots 1 FUCKING BULLET AT MY CAR AND I HAVE TO CHANGE THE OIL OR THE FUCKING THING EXPLODES!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah stopping to do that the first 75 times was cute.

Back