Far Cry 3 trailer

^ very good points both.

FC2 could have been awesome if there was just more depth to the missions you were doing and you had some kind of effect on the gameworld

All I saw was "Push A" and went i'll wait for reviews.

I played through FC2 and it wasn't that bad..

New 5 minute game play video,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LT-QQcBNQeA

It looks a lot closer to Farcry than Farcry 2.

Considering that's console footage I have to say that looks decent.

They still seem to not understand about having a more wide range of colors in these games, though. Far Cry 1 at least had a lot of nice color in it.

What I need to know is if they've made another glass bubble world where nothing the player does matters and everyone and everything respawns into infinity or not and if I can actually have quests and a story worth half a damn.

Far Cry 2 is kinda like Just Cause 2 for me, but nowhere near as fun. Once I realized that Far Cry 2 sucked, except for fucking with the AI, it wasn't too bad. The only time I played it was to go in, blow shit up, light fields on fire, kill some zebras, and lure guards into a trap and light them on fire.

Far Cry 2 is kinda like Just Cause 2 for me, but nowhere near as fun. Once I realized that Far Cry 2 sucked, except for fucking with the AI, it wasn't too bad. The only time I played it was to go in, blow shit up, light fields on fire, kill some zebras, and lure guards into a trap and light them on fire.

What, you didn't light fire to the zebras, too? :p

I haven't played much of the series since after the original Far Cry (honest) but I'd be willing to check this out.

Such a group of whiners. Can as well go out hard I am going to be flamed to death suggesting FC 2 was an excellent fps anyway ;).

I don´t believe the high scores was for reviewers playing it 45 minutes. Maybe it´s because they run it for 20h+? Far Cry 2 for me wasn´t an instant hit. I loved the start of it but it didn´t take long to get upset of the spawning control points. Varied missions that take you to space stations or other parts of the globe? No you don´t get that it´s all about surviving and finding your play style with better then average computer AI. you know the best bart of the original Far Cry but here taken several steps further.

I hope they don´t loose to much of this open world almost sim feel of FC 2. According to the previous they at least suggest that they will let the game world be as open as ever which is positive It´s not that important to make a super tight super scripted story. Better leave that to the super scripted corridor shooters which is the norm nowadays. Talking about repetition? Try replaying a call of duty campaign and you will see about repetition :D. No COD game has ever lasted me more then 5h since MW.

FC 3 should be like Bethesdas rpg. Main story is loose and blah but it´s what happens along the way. I don´t want to see a single QTE!

Nice to hear about more wildlife in FC 3 as well. And I sure won´t miss the guard posts. There is better ways of repopulating the game world with things to shoot in a persistent world.

Such a group of whiners.

Because people have a difference of opinion from you?

Can as well go out hard I am going to be flamed to death suggesting FC 2 was an excellent fps anyway ;).

That's your opinion.

Now, unlike you, I'm not going to insult you for having that opinion although I really wonder what your criteria is for an "excellent FPS."

I don´t believe the high scores was for reviewers playing it 45 minutes. Maybe it´s because they run it for 20h+?

I doubt it.

Everyone knows by now how the professional review industry works and what has to be done to make deadlines.

Far Cry 2 for me wasn´t an instant hit. I loved the start of it but it didn´t take long to get upset of the spawning control points. Varied missions that take you to space stations or other parts of the globe? No you don´t get that it´s all about surviving and finding your play style with better then average computer AI. you know the best part of the original Far Cry but here taken several steps further.

I'm not exactly sure what you saw in FC2 that suggested better than average AI whereas I saw something that was laughably imbalanced.

Nothing you did in FC 2 mattered. What play style? Tactics didn't matter in this game because that AI of yours had superhuman perception even when you set yourself up as perfectly as possible with everything the game provided to try and play silent/stealth.

Sneaking and stealth were impossible in this game even with the perk(s) that you supposedly get to improve your chances along with silent weapons. Sneak up on an enemy from behind for a silent kill with everything prepped right? Forget about it in this game. Didn't work. You could be crouched in high foliage, coming from behind, dead silent, everything set right...they start shooting at you a mile away anyways.

That's garbage.

Maybe I'm wrong and if so I want someone to tell me how to effectively sneak and stealth kill in this game.

I liked the game in the early goings as well.

I couldn't tell you exactly...hour 5 or 6....maybe 10 or so where I started to get the idea of what I was in for and lost steam.

I hope they don´t loose to much of this open world almost sim feel of FC 2. According to the previous they at least suggest that they will let the game world be as open as ever which is positive It´s not that important to make a super tight super scripted story. Better leave that to the super scripted corridor shooters which is the norm nowadays. Talking about repetition? Try replaying a call of duty campaign and you will see about repetition :D. No COD game has ever lasted me more then 5h since MW.

I don't disagree with this although I think there can be a healthy balance.

FC 3 should be like Bethesdas rpg. Main story is loose and blah but it´s what happens along the way. I don´t want to see a single QTE!

Nice to hear about more wildlife in FC 3 as well. And I sure won´t miss the guard posts. There is better ways of repopulating the game world with things to shoot in a persistent world.

Agreed.

Last edited:
^ very good points both.

FC2 could have been awesome if there was just more depth to the missions you were doing and you had some kind of effect on the gameworld

Someone did that already - in S.T.A.L.K.E.R: SoC. They tried to imitate it in FC2 and failed miserably. Once they created the open world,they had no idea what to do with it.

Someone did that already - in S.T.A.L.K.E.R: SoC. They tried to imitate it in FC2 and failed miserably. Once they created the open world,they had no idea what to do with it.

There you go.

For the people that think Far Cry 2 is an excellent FPS with better than average CPU AI...go ahead and fire up a STALKER game and especially running Complete Mod or something like that and get back to us.

Stalker even if you count them all is not enough to make the Far Cry 2 AI below average.

I would love to try it out. Only touched the original felt it was promising but for whatever reason forget about it. Which one should I jump into? I tried metro2033 but it felt to linear and story driven with tons of cut scenes and crap.

Stalker even if you count them all is not enough to make the Far Cry 2 AI below average.

I would love to try it out. Only touched the original felt it was promising but for whatever reason forget about it. Which one should I jump into? I tried metro2033 but it felt to linear and story driven with tons of cut scenes and crap.

If you like Far Cry 2 for the reasons you've stated I'll be shocked if you don't love the STALKER games.

Shadow of Chernobyl is 1
Clear Sky is 2 except it's a prequel to 1.
Call of Pripyat is 3

Look up Complete Mod for each and there's also some other great mods out for these games.

If you had problems getting into the first one then I'd start with Call of Pripyat, it's the most polished version

I'm a huge stalker fan, but even with complete mod the actual gameplay mechanics of stalker and the shooting has never been so great to me, it just feels clunky, I mean I love the game/atmosphere, but FC2 was pretty fluid in the gameplay department just a more cinematic experience, if it had even an ounce of SOC's depth it would have been a great game imo

The videos do look decent, even from 360 footage. Ubisoft did manage to improve on Assassin's Creed with AC2 and ACB, so perhaps they can do the same with Far Cry 3.

I've mentioned the one thing I could not forgive Ubi for in FC2 many times - the unfixed "closed door" glitch. After that and a terrible experience with unfixable problems in Splinter Cell Conviction, and then the "fuck you" attitude the company has towards PC gamers, and I can't bring myself to buy Ubi games now

I watched the video and, while it makes the game look fairly exciting, I was struggling to figure out just what the hell the plot was even supposed to be?

They are randomly on this island (vacation?), they get drunk, get captured by some random guerrillas for no apparent reason, and then one guy escapes and has to take on the whole army?

I'm a huge stalker fan, but even with complete mod the actual gameplay mechanics of stalker and the shooting has never been so great to me, it just feels clunky, I mean I love the game/atmosphere, but FC2 was pretty fluid in the gameplay department just a more cinematic experience, if it had even an ounce of SOC's depth it would have been a great game imo

It's blasphemy but I can't disagree with this. ;) The STALKER games have so many awesome things going for them but I always felt like if the gameplay could just be tightened and refined a little bit more it would completely put things well over the top.

Far Cry 2's actual gameplay and gunplay did feel pretty good. I have to grant that.

They are randomly on this island (vacation?), they get drunk, get captured by some random guerrillas for no apparent reason, and then one guy escapes and has to take on the whole army?

Works for me. :p

Since "farcry 2" had almost nothing to do with the original.... is there any reason to get excited?

That ... and I loath UBISoft.

It's blasphemy but I can't disagree with this. ;) The STALKER games have so many awesome things going for them but I always felt like if the gameplay could just be tightened and refined a little bit more it would completely put things well over the top.

Far Cry 2's actual gameplay and gunplay did feel pretty good. I have to grant that.

Works for me. :p

Made an attempt with pripyat and complete mod. Not treating me all that nice. Seems hard to play for more then 5-10 minutes straight without a CTD :(.

What I seen so far is that the animation seem almost stiffer then in Fallout 3 and it´s extremely rough around the corners. My fault for waiting so long. the original didn´t felt this old when I first tried it despite no WS. Maybe I could learn to live with the CTD if the quicksave is reliable but the loading times is 5 minutes on my 4 gig RAM and 1,5 gig video card setup without trying to max out. I did opted for the optimal rather then standard settings though. so will go back to standard and see if it make things run more smoothly. I have no problem with fps it´s between 60 and 120.

Anyway I am not sure about it. I am not really sold by the conversations so far and the gunplay is almost broken. Nice atmosphere though so will give it more time if it stops crashing on me.

That 5 minute gameplay trailer did look promising. I'm prepared for the usual disappointment though, but if Ubisoft somehow manages to come through with this game...what the hell am I saying, they're going to fuck this one up. We all know it.

Made an attempt with pripyat and complete mod. Not treating me all that nice. Seems hard to play for more then 5-10 minutes straight without a CTD :(.

CTRL F for CTD here on this page and see if that applies to you.

If not, use a search engine and hit up "STALKER Pripyat CTD" without the quotes. Really shouldn't be happening. hg

What I seen so far is that the animation seem almost stiffer then in Fallout 3 and it´s extremely rough around the corners. My fault for waiting so long. the original didn´t felt this old when I first tried it despite no WS. Maybe I could learn to live with the CTD if the quicksave is reliable but the loading times is 5 minutes on my 4 gig RAM and 1,5 gig video card setup without trying to max out. I did opted for the optimal rather then standard settings though. so will go back to standard and see if it make things run more smoothly. I have no problem with fps it´s between 60 and 120.

Sounds like you're going to have to pull down on the settings. It's GPU and CPU getting hit hard with that setup and especially with a nice mod like Complete.

Anyway I am not sure about it. I am not really sold by the conversations so far and the gunplay is almost broken. Nice atmosphere though so will give it more time if it stops crashing on me.

Be patient. If you can get things to work right the game will reward you.

I just caught it on youtube, before I different video. Yeah prerendered sucks, but from the looks of a few scenes, they really did a good job on the cgi. This, as well as the fact that we're returning to a tropical environment give me high hopes for the finished game, even though FarCry 2 was an absolute disappointment.

Of course, on second thought, the first thing we ever saw from FarCry2 was a tech demo, that showed off amazingly gorgeous graphics, very realistic physics, and good A.I. the fact that we're geting a pre-rendered trailer rather than new tech stuff makes me wonder about CryTek. Also, sure it's nearly the same setting as the 1st farcry, but the 2nd was a major departure from the whole bio-engineered creatures turn that farcry 1 made, and this looks to be continuing the theme.

Point is, yeah the trailer looked solid, but this will be a wait and see game for me.

Crytek has nothing to do with FC 2 or FC 3. People hated the mutants in Far Cry 1 and loved the merc combat stuff. They loved the things FC 2 excel at but well gamers are hard to please. I don´t recall much of Far Crys story. That was hardly the reason I enjoyed Far Cry so much :D

And yes I enjoyed FC 2 more then Far Cry in the end. It just grew and grew and grew the more I ran it.

Wish they would just redo the original with all the latest dx11 spiffery. Id gladly pay $40 for that.

A true open-world sequel to Far Cry would be fuckin sick!

+100%

I still have FC1 installed & still play it for an hour or so every once in a while.
It really is a great game... one of my favorite games of all time... :p

I had to play @ medium visuals back in the day, but now everything is maxed!
It still looks pretty good to me & I am seeing stuff that I missed in my first experience.

I'd like to see FC1 re-made "as-is" with just better models & DX embellishments.
If they remake it though, they would add a bunch of cheap achievements & side missions.

Hmmmm... well after writing that, maybe side missions would be OK...
I remember doing each mission at least 2-3 ways to accomplish the same mission.
- from the left, right, on a boat, hang gliders, sniping, grenades, etc.

If they added side missions on a radar map for weapons or ammo and special stuff like a scope or laser that could make you aware of each separate path to the end of the mission that could be OK... just thinking out loud here...

But yeah - Far Cry REDUX - with some pimped graphics would be bad-ass!
:D

I bought FC2 and hated every ugly muddy brown shitty moment of it.
I downloaded the FC2 editor & was hoping that mods would save that game.
I might have spent more time playing around with the editor than playing the game.

When I built a new rig, I never looked back at that game...
I guess mods did not really improve the FC2 wasteland?

I bought FC2 and hated every ugly muddy brown shitty moment of it.
I downloaded the FC2 editor & was hoping that mods would save that game.
I might have spent more time playing around with the editor than playing the game.

When I built a new rig, I never looked back at that game...
I guess mods did not really improve the FC2 wasteland?

Generally, a game has to have a certain level of popularity to have much of a mod community.

Besides a total conversion, about all that could really be done with the game was to add green. Well, to be fair you could maybe play around with, or add hud elements, clean up some of the weapons (sound, graphics, and animations), and perhaps add boobies somehow.:p

After stealing my money with Far Cry 2, I think I'll wait until this hits a steam 5 dollar sale.

FC2 had some momments, but just a few.

I agree, overall it was just a dull brown exercise in futility.

The only level that really got me going was the refinery.......it seemed pretty fun and a glimse of the old......

overall fail.

new one looks promising.

Generally, a game has to have a certain level of popularity to have much of a mod community.

Besides a total conversion, about all that could really be done with the game was to add green. Well, to be fair you could maybe play around with, or add hud elements, clean up some of the weapons (sound, graphics, and animations), and perhaps add boobies somehow.:p

Boobies!!! Great idea!!! That is the only thing that could help it.

I was trying to use the editor to make a racing mod.
I made two opposing mountains with a valley in between.
The track / path / road was littered with guard camps & guard towers shooting at you.

That is as far as I got...

There were going to be checkpoints that could only be passed after killing some baddies & opening a big gate that would add a power up for the player who trips the switch & opens the gate (MP mode balance device) making it both player vs. the clock (racing) player vs. player (winner gets the power up by tripping the gate & re-spawning in his vehicle) and player vs. the baddies (if you don't try to open the gate & just sit in your jeep / buggy / truck you get killed by increasing amount of baddies).

Yeah, that was all way beyond my ability, but I would pay $$ to play that game!
:rolleyes:

Was there this much whining and hate before Mass Effect 2 came out?

Boobies make everything better, look at ME2:D

Was there this much whining and hate before Mass Effect 2 came out?

Not really, except by the people that did not care for ME1. But then, ME2 was an actual sequel after all. FC2 was some game with the FC name slapped on it. It was totally unrelated to the original. And after an hour or two of playing it, you have seen all the game has to offer twice already. The story did not draw me in enough to try and push past that point.
FC3 might be different, depending on the DRM I may pick it up. It still is not FarCry to me, but that does not mean it will suck. Time will tell.

Boobies make everything better, look at ME2:D

Not really, except by the people that did not care for ME1. But then, ME2 was an actual sequel after all. FC2 was some game with the FC name slapped on it. It was totally unrelated to the original. And after an hour or two of playing it, you have seen all the game has to offer twice already. The story did not draw me in enough to try and push past that point.
FC3 might be different, depending on the DRM I may pick it up. It still is not FarCry to me, but that does not mean it will suck. Time will tell.

I had a brain fart when I posted in this thread. I thought I was posting in the ME 3 demo thread or some such but I guess it worked out well enough.

Back